Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently using an 8600K for my Gaming/Main PC. I am thinking about building a second system to be used for use in a different part of my house that will be used in an electronics lab I am building. I also wouldn't mind hosting some VMs on it as needed for some experimentation. I want it to be smaller FF if want to quickly move it and throw in a better GPU for a guest to LAN w/ me. I would like to keep my options open in that case.

Right now I am specifically looking based off of the VRM of the system.

I was taking a look at the Ryzen B3/450 and x3/470 ITX boards from AS Rock, which all seemed to have the same VRM. They all had the ISL95712  controller w/ the 3+2 phases with the FDPC5030/SM7341EH Mosfets. It seems like a $90 board should in theory preform just as good as the x470 AS Rock ITX, which is twice it's price at $180?

I have come the conclusion when considering a motherboard, throw out any thought of support or brand loyalty as they are pretty much all bad. In that case I do see the Biostar x470GTN at $121, it looks like it has a ISL95712 driver with 4+3 phases and PK612DZ mosfets. Granted the Capacitors look like they might be only 5k, vs the 12k of the AS Rock.

Then there is the MSI B450 w/ the IR35201, 6+2 phases, and IR3555 mosfets. Though from what I heard the MSI boards UEFI might have some limitations when it comes to OC'ing.

Please correct me if I am wrong, on the ITX size of things, it seems like most of the advantages of the x3/470 are rendered moot, by the size limitations of the ITX board. I do see the 2000 series Ryzen CPUs support RPO and XFR2. As half of the stuff that manufacture's list as "features" tend to be marketing bloat. Are either RPO or XFR2 worth considering are they just marketing bloat? Every time a company comes out with "easy overclock feature", most people ignore it and tweak settings in the UEFI.

I do plan to use TridentZ Samsung B-Die [email protected] RAM, still trying to figure out if I am going to go with a 2600 for the added Cores and Threads or just a 2400G to take advantage of the APU.

·
To The Game
7,666 Posts
The XFR2 is worth considering if you want to avoid manual oc'ing.

The mobo manufacturer matters for bios. I'd pick a bios you feel comfortable with all other things equal. This will matter less if you don't plan on oc'ing.

One thing the 4xx mobo come with is StoreMi (FuzeDrive) which turns a hdd and ssd into basically a hybrid hdd on steroids. I'm running this on my 2700/b350 VR build (had to pay for it with the 3xx mobo) with a 256gb ssd/1tb hdd and it works great.

I'd go with the 2600 and a dedicated gpu if you have any plans of using it for gaming at some point.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The XFR2 is worth considering if you want to avoid manual oc'ing.

The mobo manufacturer matters for bios. I'd pick a bios you feel comfortable with all other things equal. This will matter less if you don't plan on oc'ing.

One thing the 4xx mobo come with is StoreMi (FuzeDrive) which turns a hdd and ssd into basically a hybrid hdd on steroids. I'm running this on my 2700/b350 VR build (had to pay for it with the 3xx mobo) with a 256gb ssd/1tb hdd and it works great.

I'd go with the 2600 and a dedicated gpu if you have any plans of using it for gaming at some point.
I currently have a Gigabyte Motherboard, though I don't mind having to get comfortable with another BIOS. My main concern relates to VRM quality, it is slightly disconcerting going from a 8+2 phase board to something with 3 phases for the CPU. I would really like @AlphaC input on the VRM selection, which one is the best MB from that standpoint?

If sentiment is similar in AMD as Intel, then I would prefer manual OC'ing if that is the preferred way to get better performance with less voltage/heat.

I think the 2600 might be the better fit, as I would get 30% more vCPUs via HT.

Edit: I would even like to know what the best overall Ryzen compatible MB VRM for the money...

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying an ITX board on Ryzen. Even the MSI with IR3555 powerstages ended up warm after overclocking the R7 2700X. You can see the review on optimumtech , temperatures were in Blender (AVX).

edit: also it isn't a well rounded board by any means. I don't understand how a board with powerstages ended up with a garbage ALC887 on ITX. If it was ATX you could argue people are going to put a sound card in there. I also don't see a Type-C connector.

edit2: There's also a review over on guru3d but the heating was done over 5 minutes... https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-b450i-gaming-plus-ac-review,19.html

·
Nobody
6,465 Posts
I know anymore all I build is ITX and don't have any complaints. I currently run a 2700 on Asus x470-I and a 2600 on the MSI b450.

I don't know if they could handle an X version of Ryzen though. If the Asus B450 and x470-I weren't so expensive I'd recommend a look but most at that price just go for full ATX.

ITX is nice for size, I can't stand a large case anymore myself. I know on my Asus with pushing 1.48 vcore after 10 hours of OOCT my vrm's were a decent 70c. So not too bad, just need to ensure ok case airflow. From my understanding the Asus this round is supposed to be pretty bad compared to the X370-I offering which is probably what is limiting my OC.

Looking at VRM's for my use I know MSI and Asus were the only 2 I would think about, I just don't like the idea of a 3 phase design such as AsRocks.

The one note I'll add about MSI's B450 is the vrm heatsink is kind of crappy due it being just a block of aluminum instead of putting fins on both sides.

Which I don't understand on any of these AM4 motherboards or any now a days on why manufacturers have forgotten how to make good vrm heatsinks. It does baffle my mind, I also wish regardless of price that we would get all digital vrm pwm setups. Oh if only we had DFi back, I miss them so much especially in current market, could you imagine some of their color schemes with RGB, Oh My God!!! I would totally drool for DFi to jump back in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts