Overclock.net banner

4261 - 4280 of 4319 Posts

·
IRC: #amd-overclocking
30 Posts
CPU idles at ~26-28c depending on ambient room temp. usually stays about 3c warmer than ambient room temp. loads at ~63c under prime95 smallFFT 100% load. all cores clocked @ 4.05GHz prime95 stable and daily use stable.
I'd really like to know a little bit more about how you hit 4.05 stable. IE: Core speed adjustment via ratio or base clock, voltages, manual or auto ram voltages, Mode Line changes, etc. Any details you'd care to share I'd love to hear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd really like to know a little bit more about how you hit 4.05 stable. IE: Core speed adjustment via ratio or base clock, voltages, manual or auto ram voltages, Mode Line changes, etc. Any details you'd care to share I'd love to hear.
Settings in ASRock Taichi OC Tweaker menu in BIOS:

Overclock Mode: Manual
APU/PCIE Frequency (MHz): 100

CPU Frequency and Voltage Change: Manual
CPU Frequency (MHz): 4050
CPU Voltage(V): 1.38750
SMT Mode: Auto

XMP settings: XMP 2.0 Profile 1
DRAM Frequency: DDR4-3200 (I have DDR4 3600 RAM but it's not 100% stable with a 1950x threadripper at 3600 speed. I have found it behaves and boots consistently at 3200 speed without the frequent power cycle loops during bootup trying to hold 3600)

Voltage configuration

Voltage Mode: OC Mode
CPU Vcore Voltage: Fixed Mode
Fixed Voltage(V): 1.3875
CPU Load-Line Calibration: Level 1
VDDCR_SOC Voltage: Auto
VDDR_SOC Load-Line Calibration: Level 1

The rest of the settings are defaults.

For gaming I change SMT to disabled, set cores to 4+0, and set memory interleaving to channel. (8 core 8 thread mode with local memory access) gives a significant improvement in framerate for games like Star Citizen.

·
30 Posts
Settings in ASRock Taichi OC Tweaker menu in BIOS:

Overclock Mode: Manual
APU/PCIE Frequency (MHz): 100

CPU Frequency and Voltage Change: Manual
CPU Frequency (MHz): 4050
CPU Voltage(V): 1.38750
SMT Mode: Auto

XMP settings: XMP 2.0 Profile 1
DRAM Frequency: DDR4-3200 (I have DDR4 3600 RAM but it's not 100% stable with a 1950x threadripper at 3600 speed. I have found it behaves and boots consistently at 3200 speed without the frequent power cycle loops during bootup trying to hold 3600)

Voltage configuration

Voltage Mode: OC Mode
CPU Vcore Voltage: Fixed Mode
Fixed Voltage(V): 1.3875
CPU Load-Line Calibration: Level 1
VDDCR_SOC Voltage: Auto
VDDR_SOC Load-Line Calibration: Level 1

The rest of the settings are defaults.

For gaming I change SMT to disabled, set cores to 4+0, and set memory interleaving to channel. (8 core 8 thread mode with local memory access) gives a significant improvement in framerate for games like Star Citizen.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply and details. I've been able to push mine up around the 4.2 mark, but not anything you would call stable. I really don't expect to hit big numbers stable due to the amount of ram I have. But I think I should be able to see 4.0 out if it.

Do you recall if you left Cool and Quiet and Spread Spectrum settings disabled or enabled/auto? I remember back in the day those 2 were things that you automatically disabled as soon as you started overclocking. Last time I did any OC'ing was right around the last time I posted here and that would be going on 15yrs ago now. Not a completely different world today, but close.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply and details. I've been able to push mine up around the 4.2 mark, but not anything you would call stable. I really don't expect to hit big numbers stable due to the amount of ram I have. But I think I should be able to see 4.0 out if it.

Do you recall if you left Cool and Quiet and Spread Spectrum settings disabled or enabled/auto? I remember back in the day those 2 were things that you automatically disabled as soon as you started overclocking. Last time I did any OC'ing was right around the last time I posted here and that would be going on 15yrs ago now. Not a completely different world today, but close.

Thanks again!
Those must be settings for a board from long ago? lol no such settings that I know of on this board. My fans are manually controlled via fan controller, and my pumps run at 60-75% throttle controlled by motherboard.

Those sounds like the old intel speed step settings though I vaguely remember...

threadrippers don't have those settings..If you leave it on auto OC mode it will allow speed stepping based on load, but manual mode locks the frequency and voltage in so it runs that frequency even if it is doing absolutely nothing.

My advice is if you plan on running those settings: test it thoroughly with prime95 smallFFT test and make sure your cooler can handle it. Those settings don't allow the CPU to throttle back for temp. It will hold speed till it crashes. keep HWinfo64 up while testing and watch that tdie temp closely. if it climbs too high too quickly you need to kill the test and dial back settings till you can run prime95 without burning down your home/office ;)

I was only able to get 3.8GHz prime95 stable on an AIO cooler. custom loop gave the extra cooling capacity to hit 4.05GHz prime95 stable. could never get 4.1+ prime stable. just too much heat. radiators and pumps are up to the task, but just not able to pull heat away from those dies fast enough. at this point delid or exotic cooling is required for my rig to push any more out of it with stability and I'm not taking it that far lol.

·
BOINC Cruncher
904 Posts
I have a 2920X so have those improvements over Gen. 1 TR. I have the Asrock Fatality Pro Gaming mobo. Pretty happy with it. I run a PBO Level 2 on it and can get it to hold my normal 65% BOINC crunching load on all cores around 4050 - 4150Mhz with the Vcore on Auto with LLC2. The load temps stay right under the 68° C Tjmax setting, normally around 67.5°C. and the load voltage around 1.35 - 1.39V. I have a custom 360mm rad cooling loop for the cpu. I have the memory running at 3400CL14 Fast timings with 16GB. Host runs 4 gpus on their own loop and I crunch both cpu and gpu tasks. My highest production host in my farm.

·
More Cores!
1,239 Posts
Fun fact: The stock fan in the Wraith Ripper is backwards... dunno if mine is an isolated incident, but I had to open the cooler and re-orient it a few days ago. Temps have improved by about 10C on idle and load, boosts seem slightly higher but it could be placebo.

·
30 Posts
Those must be settings for a board from long ago? lol no such settings that I know of on this board. My fans are manually controlled via fan controller, and my pumps run at 60-75% throttle controlled by motherboard.

Those sounds like the old intel speed step settings though I vaguely remember...

threadrippers don't have those settings..If you leave it on auto OC mode it will allow speed stepping based on load, but manual mode locks the frequency and voltage in so it runs that frequency even if it is doing absolutely nothing.

My advice is if you plan on running those settings: test it thoroughly with prime95 smallFFT test and make sure your cooler can handle it. Those settings don't allow the CPU to throttle back for temp. It will hold speed till it crashes. keep HWinfo64 up while testing and watch that tdie temp closely. if it climbs too high too quickly you need to kill the test and dial back settings till you can run prime95 without burning down your home/office ;)

I was only able to get 3.8GHz prime95 stable on an AIO cooler. custom loop gave the extra cooling capacity to hit 4.05GHz prime95 stable. could never get 4.1+ prime stable. just too much heat. radiators and pumps are up to the task, but just not able to pull heat away from those dies fast enough. at this point delid or exotic cooling is required for my rig to push any more out of it with stability and I'm not taking it that far lol.
Those settings are there on my board under CPU features and I thought that all AMD boards had the 'Cool and Quiet' feature/setting. I could be wrong about that though.

After a bit of messing around today I think that I've hit the limit due to my cooling. The AIO just isn't enough to handle the temperature increases at the pace that it needs to. I'm going to look at this on the bright side though, gives me a reason (excuse:)) to do a custom water cooling mod. For now I'm going to leave it backed down to the last stable (Prime95 stable) 3.7. The whole thing is for the fun of it anyway since this rig at defaults is a beast anyway.

·
BOINC Cruncher
904 Posts
I thought that all AMD boards had the 'Cool and Quiet' feature/setting. I could be wrong about that though.
They do. AMD changed the name that "Cool n' Quiet" goes by in the BIOS. It is now called PSS Support and is found in the CPU section of the BIOS.

Fun fact. Geekbench4 results for engineering samples of the next generation of Threadripper called Castle Peak have been logged.

Looks like the first sample was running all 64 cores between 4150 - 4200 Mhz. The second sample logged clocks between 4150 - 4350 Mhz.
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14281644.gb4
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14281648.gb4

·
Registered
73 Posts
They do. AMD changed the name that "Cool n' Quiet" goes by in the BIOS. It is now called PSS Support and is found in the CPU section of the BIOS.

Fun fact. Geekbench4 results for engineering samples of the next generation of Threadripper called Castle Peak have been logged.

Looks like the first sample was running all 64 cores between 4150 - 4200 Mhz. The second sample logged clocks between 4150 - 4350 Mhz.
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14281644.gb4
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14281648.gb4
The memory latency looks very concerning. The first sample logged single thread memory latency of 105.4 ns and multi thread latency of 160.3 ns. The second sample logged single thread memory latency of 111.4 ns and multi thread latency of 105.4 ns. My threadripper 1950x memory latency is about 90 something ns in UMA mode and about 68 ns in NUMA mode(which is how I normally run the 1950x). The CPU is running at stock settings and the RAM is set to 2733 Mhz 12-12-12-32-44. The memory latency in the virtual machines running on my 1950x is about 71 ns to 73 ns. The all core speeds look promising but memory latency looks very disappointing.

·
BOINC Cruncher
904 Posts
The memory latency looks very concerning. The first sample logged single thread memory latency of 105.4 ns and multi thread latency of 160.3 ns. The second sample logged single thread memory latency of 111.4 ns and multi thread latency of 105.4 ns. My threadripper 1950x memory latency is about 90 something ns in UMA mode and about 68 ns in NUMA mode(which is how I normally run the 1950x). The CPU is running at stock settings and the RAM is set to 2733 Mhz 12-12-12-32-44. The memory latency in the virtual machines running on my 1950x is about 71 ns to 73 ns. The all core speeds look promising but memory latency looks very disappointing.
You have no idea from the results what memory speeds they were running. That is not logged. And the tryout version does not allow comments for one to input the system configuration that is missed by the automatic hardware sniffing. They could very well have been running JEDEC 2133 for all we know.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You have no idea from the results what memory speeds they were running. That is not logged. And the tryout version does not allow comments for one to input the system configuration that is missed by the automatic hardware sniffing. They could very well have been running JEDEC 2133 for all we know.
True, so there is hope for improved memory latency.

·
BOINC Cruncher
904 Posts

·
BOINC Cruncher
904 Posts
I hope they do give us one even with a pcie 3.0 only i/o die.
Rumors so far is that is unlikely. There are three new chipset variants showing up in databases. TRX40, TRX80 and WRX80. All require new motherboard designs.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Rumors so far is that is unlikely. There are three new chipset variants showing up in databases. TRX40, TRX80 and WRX80. All require new motherboard designs.
I would really like to know why new TR needs three different chipset.
I can understand two, one for WX ultra high end and one for base TR, but why three?

·
BOINC Cruncher
904 Posts
I would really like to know why new TR needs three different chipset.
I can understand two, one for WX ultra high end and one for base TR, but why three?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like 12-32 cores will stick to quad channel and remain as normal.

TRX80 I can see being 32/48 core setups at 8 channel memory. WRX80 possibly 64 core?

I do look forward to testing of the new chips. Will be interesting to see how the new chips fair on LN2

·
BOINC Cruncher
904 Posts

TRX80 I can see being 32/48 core setups at 8 channel memory. WRX80 possibly 64 core?

I do look forward to testing of the new chips. Will be interesting to see how the new chips fair on LN2
Also WRX80 is SSI CEB workstation motherboard form factor with two sockets likely.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

Why someone should buy a 12 cores threadripper when there is 16 cores mainstream 3950X?

4261 - 4280 of 4319 Posts