Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, considering this is growth with Core 2 being out, they have expanded with Core 2 being out.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:

This big news, however, comes from AMD's server business. This jump in marketshare on the server side was no doubt buoyed by the popularity of Opteron processors and will only grow with AMD's recent pact with PC giant Dell Computer. AMD saw its share of the server market double from 6% in Q3 2004 to 12.6% in 2005. Its share nearly doubled again to 24.4% in Q3 2006

Woot go AMD...Knew they'd manage to come back after Intel dropped the Core Duo on them...although lord knows what might happen if Intels quad-core (the name eludes me) Is anything near theirs

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Go AMD! It's good to see that their isn't a complete monopoly over new PC buyers at the moment.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori
View Post

Well, considering this is growth with Core 2 being out, they have expanded with Core 2 being out.

The growth is 2004->2006 - C2D is completely irrelevant. It is still mostly in the enthusiast market - although that is changing fast.

You always surprise me with your fanboyism. Other than with AMD/Intel you are always completely rational and very intelligent.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori
View Post

If you look at the Best Buy adds, you'll see X2 systems for as low as $609, whereas the E6400 goes for $1,300.

Now, you, I and everybody else here knows that the people that "buys" computers at BB have no clue about what SuperPI or 3DMark is, they know only one thing: "budget".

Which system is going to work just fine for what they'll do and that's where the budget plays a big roll, so from $609 to $1,300 there is a big, if not huge gap in price when considering that most people won't spend a fortune on a PC that will only and most likely serve for e-mails, pictures, web-browsing and the usual small task here and there, so of course they'll buy the $609 and so it happens that the system comes with an X2 processor.

I've noticed for the past 6 months that A64 and X2s now have lower prices than Intel systems at BB and BB sells a lot of PCs. And rarely people will have one custom made. So there could be the reason why they're growing and also Dell is a helping hand.

BTW, look at the BB add for this week, they have a Pentium D and an X2, the X2 is cheaper and my co-worker asked me which system would be good for his money.....I told him the X2 because it's cheaper and would perform better, since that neither system could be overclocked. So I guess he's going to get one this weekend. His budget? $700.
Why didn't I offer to build him one? He's an idiot and I don't want to deal with him.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidgnome229
View Post

The growth is 2004->2006 - C2D is completely irrelevant. It is still mostly in the enthusiast market - although that is changing fast.

You always surprise me with your fanboyism. Other than with AMD/Intel you are always completely rational and very intelligent.

Eh? no its not, there are other articles saying that AMD is still gaining marketshare, which relates with this one still.

Nasgul brings up the very point why, with pricing, AMD has succeeded still in the market.. Core 2 hasnt made the splash just quite yet that people think it has, this is just more informative that people shouldnt be like "oh I hope AMD" is ok.. Because they are perfectly fine and not going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Its not fanboyism per se...Believe me when I say this, Jori isn't a biased person..He says what he does based on what he knows/reads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts