1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Just wonering what i have here.
I just bought a sempron 2400, jus to see what it can do, and so far its up to
2.23Ghz, now how does that compare to a althon xp cpu?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by can_guy

Hey Guys

Just wonering what i have here.
I just bought a sempron 2400, jus to see what it can do, and so far its up to
2.23Ghz, now how does that compare to a althon xp cpu?

Shouldnt be too far off from a 3200+, the higher model Xp's have 512k cache so they still come out on top at the same clock speed.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
compare it to the speeds of the Thoroughbred XP chips the 2600 runs @ 2.0 Ghz so using simple maths <this only works to calc speds of chips with the same cores/bus speeds> (2000(actual speed)/2600(performance))*3200(desired performance)= 2461 Mhz - this is the speed u need to get 3200+ performance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, but im sure i will not be able to push this chip over 2400mhz lol, would be nice though. The chip will post at 2400, but wont even begin to load windows. Im trying to tweak the Voltage but not sure if that will help. If anyone has any othr idea's please let me know

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo3

up the vcore slightly and see if you can boot to windows. keep an eye on your temps though. what are they at the moment??

My vcore is at 1.75, im running @39 idle and @47 load, how high should i take the vcore?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

My vcore is at 1.75, im running @39 idle and @47 load, how high should i take the vcore?

How are your memory timings??? Mem voltage? and what's your FSB at the moment??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

How are your memory timings??? Mem voltage? and what's your FSB at the moment??

My Fsb is 222, multi of 10x, ddr volt is 1.7, ddr speed is 178 (356)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well without changing much im up to 2255mhz, im going to try n go higher, if anyone has any other ideas please HELP. One more thing, how can such a cheap chip run so well, it runs faster than my amd xp 2000+, and most of the other "Stock" cpu's from amd.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Well without changing much im up to 2255mhz, im going to try n go higher, if anyone has any other ideas please HELP. One more thing, how can such a cheap chip run so well, it runs faster than my amd xp 2000+, and most of the other "Stock" cpu's from amd.

why are you running a memory devider??? that's gonna kill your performance. You're better off runing 200FSB 1:1 ratio (DDR @ 200, FSB @ 200) than running a devider.

BTW, your DDR voltage is higher than that, most likely 2.7v. DDR ram runs 2.xvolts, not 1.x

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

why are you running a memory devider??? that's gonna kill your performance. You're better off runing 200FSB 1:1 ratio (DDR @ 200, FSB @ 200) than running a devider.

BTW, your DDR voltage is higher than that, most likely 2.7v. DDR ram runs 2.xvolts, not 1.x

ya right it is 1.7
im just trying to Overclock the chip, i figure the less stress on the ram the better, i will up it when im stable. But im at 2274mhz, with a fsb of 227 and a vcore of 1.8, but my idle tamp has jumped to 43c should i try and load 50c, is that a safe temp?

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao

compare it to the speeds of the Thoroughbred XP chips the 2600 runs @ 2.0 Ghz so using simple maths <this only works to calc speds of chips with the same cores/bus speeds> (2000(actual speed)/2600(performance))*3200(desired performance)= 2461 Mhz - this is the speed u need to get 3200+ performance

seriosly though... why do they call it an athlon xp 3200, if it is uncapable of reaching 3200MHz? that pisses me off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by klewiss

seriosly though... why do they call it an athlon xp 3200, if it is uncapable of reaching 3200MHz? that pisses me off.

from what i know it means it will perform simalar to a P4 3.2, but since it clocks lower they us the 3200+ code instead of the Speed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys, i jus had a crash with cpu burn. So by the looks of it my Sempron 2400+ tops out around 2250mhz, so i dropped it to 2220mhz, my ram @ 100%
220=220fsb and my vcore lowered to 1.75, my idle is 41c and load was 47-51c. Im going to run a few benchmarks and see where it is in comparison to the Xp 2000+ im running.

After all ive seen from amd i cant wait till i have enough money saved for a Athlon 64 or FX series pc!!!!

thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by klewiss

Intels do 6 floating point operations per clock and AMDs do 9 floating point operations per clock.

AMD XP3200 @ 2.2ghz x 9 ops = 19.8 peformance

Intel P4 @ 3.2ghz x 6 ops = 19.2 peformance

Get it?

Quote:

ya right it is 1.7
im just trying to Overclock the chip, i figure the less stress on the ram the better, i will up it when im stable. But im at 2274mhz, with a fsb of 227 and a vcore of 1.8, but my idle tamp has jumped to 43c should i try and load 50c, is that a safe temp?

You're about border line for idle, because temps usually go up around 10C when you put a heavy load on the cpu. 43C + 10C = 53C, 55C should be your maximum load temp to be on the safe side of things.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
i get it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts