Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on switching over to amd for this round (and probably the next).
If any one personally has or has had an amd board running sli, I'd appreciate input.

Thought about swapping the Haf-x for a Haf-932 so I could get an ssd, but a lot of people were saying the haf-932's cooling isn't that good unless you replace the side fan with 4 others. So, I guess I'll stay with the X.

I'll be getting a Thermalright Venomous-X for the heatsink.
Here's what I'll be buying

I already have:
Monitor
Corsair TX950
GTX470 (i'll get another later.. =P)
Mouse

So if anyone sees any holes or flaws in this build, or would like to suggest other things for it, please do.

Thanks you guys.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Here are your options for AM3 nforce boards. I would go with the asus board, because I have had good experiences with them. Never had msi, but a lot of people use them.

And I don't know who told you that the haf 932 wasn't good without 4 fans on the side. That side fan it has produces a lot of airflow and adding 4 fans will only create more positive pressure in the case, increasing temps in a lot of cases.

However, I would still go with the haf x at this point in the game, it is an all around better case.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Everything looks great except one detail that may be lacking, the mother board. I am not familiar with the mother board that you selected , so, I can't provide a decent opinion on its value/reliability/features.

I personally would go with a more tried and true option such as the Gigabyte UD5. In your above post you mention that you want to do SLI. To use SLI you do not, I say again, do not have to have an nVidia chipset. Most mother boards now use an intel chipset that is compatible with both ATI and nVidia.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltar View Post
Everything looks great except one detail that may be lacking, the mother board. I am not familiar with the mother board that you selected , so, I can't provide a decent opinion on its value/reliability/features.

I personally would go with a more tried and true option such as the Gigabyte UD5. In your above post you mention that you want to do SLI. To use SLI you do not, I say again, do not have to have an nVidia chipset. Most mother boards now use an intel chipset that is compatible with both ATI and nVidia.
Yes, but without a hack, this is only available on p55 and x58 boards, available only on intel systems.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
looks good.

why Win7 Pro though? anything special that you need over Home Premium?

·
Bundling Bundler
1,881 Posts
I'd say everything looks good. MSI has been putting out some really great motherboards lately. Looks like the board you chose has 3-way SLI which is a nice bonus. As -iceblade^ asked though, do you need the Windows XP virtual machine capability of Win 7 Pro or remote desktop? Those are really the only major features added in the Pro version over Home Premium. That's why I saved some $$ and just went with Home Premium. I use TeamViewer for remote desktop sessions into my PC at home and had no need for the Windows XP virtual console.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I can say that I successfully got SLI to run without problems and it was very simple to do.

Here is a list of all the boards that can be hacked to use SLI.

http://xdevs.com/eplugins/content/co...php?content.30

Personally I would not go with a board with nForce chipset as they do not get along well with AMD chips.

Just read the article and like it says, you only need a mobo with 2 or more pci-e slots to enable SLI and it should work.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1helix
View Post

Personally I would not go with a board with nForce chipset as they do not get along well with AMD chips.

I wasn't aware of this, nor have had any similar experience, as my last 3 mobos (Tyan, MSI, MSI) were all AMD/Nforce and have always run quite smoothly. Certainly not discrediting your statement, but it does make me want to find out more about it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-iceblade^, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize there weren't any more differences than that. Now I can save a few bucks. =]
n1helix, I'll check out that link on my lunch break. Since it's just a hack..there's a chance that it won't work, right?

CH_Skyline seeing your sig rig helps make the decision a little easier. Did it give you any trouble getting the sli to work right? Also, i see you're at 3.8ghz, how's the overclockability on it..was it a struggle to get to that overclock?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mLink
View Post

CH_Skyline seeing your sig rig helps make the decision a little easier. Did it give you any trouble getting the sli to work right? Also, i see you're at 3.8ghz, how's the overclockability on it..was it a struggle to get to that overclock?

SLI setup was tricky at first, just install one card and get the system up and running with up-to-date drivers (chipset and vga), then the second card. I installed all at once (out of excitement, perhaps) and got a black screen because I rushed.

As for OC, it's a full system OC with a 232 ref clock (with 16.5x multi) as opposed to just the Black Edition multi-OC. Just make sure you lower your HT multi, CPU-NB multi and RAM if you do it that way or you'll have instability right off the bat. I can help with rough settings later, should you actually choose to go with this board. I'm always happy to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts