Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently got an AMD TWKR cpu from a guy he knows at the local computer store and I was wondering...if he used water cooling could he actually overclock the chip to about 3.5 and it be used in an everyday comp and last for about as long as a normal 955/965?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone think it could because I'am interested in it if it could be used like that since mine went out and I could get it from him?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yes it is just a cherry picked Phenom. It will last just fine or better. 3.5ghz is nothing, get that thing over 4ghz.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
A twkr will be terrible for daily use. They have a very high leakage allowing for higher vcores and in turn higher clocks when sub-zero. Using this chip on air is like getting a 5970 to play pacman, pointless and on the verge of idiotic

How much does he want for the cpu?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well he owes me big time so I'am getting it for nothing lol. I was just wondering if it would survive for a good while being liquid cooled and only run at 3.5 for playing games and stuff.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
You are better off getting it and selling it to the likes of me and buying a c3 from newegg or on here since it will clock higher anyway

It will have a shortened lifespan and degrade faster than your average cpu.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el gappo
View Post

You are better off getting it and selling it to the likes of me and buying a c3 from newegg or on here since it will clock higher anyway

True at every level.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

View Post

So el gappo wants a AMD TWKR. I have a new one. So find it on your own.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post
So el gappo wants a AMD TWKR. I have a new one. So find it on your own.
That really doesn't make sense

I'm saying sell it to someone that will use it for what it was built for.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

View Post

That really doesn't make sense

I'm saying sell it to someone that will use it for what it was built for.

The only thing I'm saying is that amd twkr are out there some where so find one. I found one that is new.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nburnes View Post
And he seems to have found one he is interested in....................

In this thread.......

lol.

Its the same as a regular AMD chip, just better for extreme overclockers, due to the above obvious reasons El Gappo stated.

I dont know how much faster it will degrade, but then again who cares? Not gonna have this cpu for 20 years.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el gappo View Post
A twkr will be terrible for daily use. They have a very high leakage allowing for higher vcores and in turn higher clocks when sub-zero. Using this chip on air is like getting a 5970 to play pacman, pointless and on the verge of idiotic

How much does he want for the cpu?
I would also like to know about the bold part.

And yes he is also right your better off selling it and getting a C3 from newegg for 24/7 use. Heck my 965 could run 3.5Ghz so easily at stock voltage its not even funny.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I don't understand what this TWKR is. Why aren't these chips advertised? What exactly is the cause of the reduced longevity?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Quote:

How much you guys would pay for one? If the price is right I'll sell my.
If its under $250 I might think about taking it, but with the X6's coming out I'm still not sure if I want a TWKR, I wanted one to go with my new TEC unit I'm getting to see what I could get out of it but I might just go with he X6 instead. IMO for me that chip isn't worth anything over $300 at most.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucklez View Post
If its under $250 I might think about taking it, but with the X6's coming out I'm still not sure if I want a TWKR, I wanted one to go with my new TEC unit I'm getting to see what I could get out of it but I might just go with he X6 instead. IMO for me that chip isn't worth anything over $300 at most.
I paid $465US for it. It is new.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Quote:

IMO you overpaid for it, with the new X6 BE coming out for around $300US with the C3 stepping which the world record set by the TWKR was beat by a C3 stepping 955, we could see the X6 come pretty darn close to the TWKR overclocking wise if not maybe better. Also I'm talking about LN2 or Dice not just watercooling.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:
i think your avatar explains it perfectly.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts