Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now im running a Athlong II X2 235 at 2.7 Ghz. Im getting into gaming alot more and wanted to be able to run fraps smoothly, which my X2 Fails at. My mobo is a MCP61Pm-GM so i suppose i can get any x3 size chip right?

If i can, im gona invest in the 6 core, my original plan was to switch to the sr2 mobo and get an i7 but i figure ill save a little bit of money if i can just get the X6 and put it in this machine.

My problem is this, ive heard people having problems in that their motherboards have problems with more powerful cpus, i know ill need a better psu (450 right now) but do you think my mobo, which is made by emachines =[ can handle the x6?

Would be really nice if i could!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a problem, the specs on the internet say this mobo is am2, while cpu-id says my X2 is AM3, and the internet says i can only take a 89wat or less cpu =[

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will need to upgrade your motherboard, PSU, RAM, and maybe some other parts so you can use the new 6 core processors. Your motherboard also doesn't support PCI-E 2.0 . But you can find basic motherboards that have all the Specs and features you need for around $40-50 on newegg.com . Memory is also cheap. And power supplies you can get for a decent price. I recomended getting a PSU that is at least 80plus certified. And one that has 500w or more just to future proof yourself and to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Now what do you mean by running fraps smoothly and your x2 fails at it?

I think your graphics card will play a more important role here. That CPU may not be the fastest out there, but it should do what it needs to if you have a pretty good graphics card.

-D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts