Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I like that you could do a xfire 5870 setup with the AMD build for ~$100 more than the Intel rig.:

EDIT: You could actually save some money with less expensive RAM and maybe a cheaper CPU cooler. Then you could get a xfire 5870/AMD setup for less than $2000.

• Rep+
Reactions: Psychedelic

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just strictly performance wise, the Intel will outperform the AMD. Benches will support this. What do you want to do with your rig?

• Rep+
Reactions: Psychedelic

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
What do you use your computer for?

If it's mostly gaming, then the AMD build is no doubt a better price/performance choice. 8gb vs 6gb ram, no brainer.

If you use your computer for any type of work that can make use of HyperThreading - then the Intel build might be a better value for you.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
AMD build would be a better choice for gaming. If you plan on doing more cpu intensive things get the Intel.

I would go AMD though, spend the difference on another 5870 to xfire if you really want the best gaming experience.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
If you did crossfire in the AMD machine and you're running 1080p or better, it will be the better gaming rig. Otherwise, it's all intel all day long.

What res are you gaming at?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im gaming at 1900x1200. So HD is where im at. So in theory, if I'm mainly going to game i'd go with the AMD, but if I need to work on other things, such as Photoshop, I would use the Intel? Does crossfire really deliver? Or would i just go with a 5970? And for the AMD should I go with (4x2) or (2x4)?

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychedelic
View Post

And for the AMD should I go with (4x2) or (2x4)?

I always see the same advice- less memory sticks is less stressful on the memory controller and more likely to give you a higher overclock.

Of course with the Black Edition processor, you get more flexibility- you can change the cpu multiplier and not push the memory as hard.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
4GB modules are completely overpriced. 2x2GB is more then enough especially for gaming but if you really want 8GB go with 4x2GB. Also you can save a bit going with the 955 over the 965. Since both are unlocked there really is no point on getting a 965 over a 955 IMO, plus some of the 955s clock better. Other then that there isn't much I'd change, I'm more of a fan of Gigabyte motherboards tho, but that's personal preference there.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only reasons you should go with the AMD is... 1 Price .... 2 If you love AMD.. I got my CPU for free so i said *** might as well build a system around it...

And a big factor I WOULD take into consideration is the 1336 socket isnt going anywhere anytime soon... While am3 socket, even though it is getting the new Phenom II x6, is going to be replaced when they release the bulldozer chips...

I would personally build a AMD system and save the money... I dont see any games putting a 965 to shame anytime soon (esp overclocked)... But if you have the money, which it seems like you do, then buy the intel... AM3 is about to gets it last new chip... the 1336 just got its first new one lol http://www.compusa.com/applications/...461&CatId=4074

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lxcivic2k1
View Post

4GB modules are completely overpriced. 2x2GB is more then enough especially for gaming but if you really want 8GB go with 4x2GB. Also you can save a bit going with the 955 over the 965. Since both are unlocked there really is no point on getting a 965 over a 955 IMO, plus some of the 955s clock better. Other then that there isn't much I'd change, I'm more of a fan of Gigabyte motherboards tho, but that's personal preference there.

But wouldn't a 2x4 place less stress on the comp, for better performance?

·
Registered
176 Posts
if its gaming your doing amd all the way
afaik amd beats the i7 in a few games

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
As people have said, 2x2GB and x64 OS is plenty for gaming and easier to manage OC.

Neither Crossfire nor SLI scale perfectly with all games, but %90+ of the time you'll see a great benefit. Depends on the game but you can google that.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,542 Posts
if its not about money straight for performance = i7,

if its about price performance = amd + single 5870

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
To be honest, if you want to make a comparison like this, you should try to keep both rigs at the same price, so that it is easier to compare. We don't know whether or not you actually care for the extra $300 difference.

If you are going for gaming only, definitely AMD. Not much of a performance gain if you go intel on this one, as games don't even need 8 threads. :/

With the extra $300, you could actually settle for 2 x 5850. That would make the AMD build more worthwhile in terms of gaming FOR SURE.

Heck, you can even keep the AMD build at that, but get a 80GB Inten X25-m SSD for your Windows just for the lols. >.>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts