Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****>>>>> I am a brand new intel member <<<<<<<****
********** Can I join the Intel Club ? **************

Maybe you intel experts could open my eyes about things, thanks!

hello there guys,...

I have been a fan of AMD for so many years, I built over 6 AMD gamming machines and servers, and I just bought my first intel setup... (I lied, second)
I know Intel is better for performance, but I don't know if I did a wise choise..

But maybe you guys can tell me before my new pc arrives... I will either get sad, or excited..

Current PC -3D Mark = 24000 ~ 25000

PSU: 850W - currently
MB: MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU: Phenom II X4 C3 @ 3.8Mhz OC HD70
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz OC
Video: 1 GTX 480 Stock CLOCK
HDD: 2x Vertex 2 SSD Raid 0

The pc above is awewsome, runs great, but seems like, the AMD Setup, isn't letting it evolve...
Feels like comparing a Lancer Evolution, with a Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo .... both are fast, But evo is good due to hp + awd ...

New PC - 3D Mark = unkown (pc is still shipping)(specs SUCKS @ Details)

Specs by Manufacturer:

Intel® Core™ i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.1GHz
8GB4 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1866Mhz - 4 DIMMS
2000GB5 SATA II hard drive (7200RPM) - Raid 0
****(I will use my own vertex 2 on thsi one I believe)
Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 - SLI Enabled
Water Cooling System (unkown brand)
Intel® P67 Express Chipset w/ Unlocked BIOS for Overclocking, CPU Socket 1155
Alienware™ 875 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Do you guys think I will get a better benchmark / better game performance ?
Do you guys think I should return it?
The price after customization was 2300, but because of my connection, I got it for $1920 .

I have NO idea which motherboard comes inside... oO

So, was this a good choise?
Was I better off doing my thing at new egg like I always did in the past?
is this pc like.. WOW GOOD? or is it like, ITS AIGHT???

Thanks bro ...

If it was another AMD platform, I would be able to estimate it's power inside my thoughts..

Well, tell me what you guys think, I have a few days to return it, if you guys don't think I spent money effectively, I will wake your word for it.

Thanks bros, like always..

Ohhhh ! Now I am a intel guy I guess.. FU*K AMD... ahhahaha ! lol j/k

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Your benchmark scores will skyrocket with that 2600k. As for mobo, I'd suggest Asus for their awesome UEFI Bios. My P67 Sabertooth has been great and overclocks pretty good. As for GPU's, the 460's are decent cards but I would have gone with at least 560Ti's. They scale better than 460's and OC better too (but cost may be an issue). I'm also unfamiliar with the PSU and always recommend Corsair (because I'm a huge Corsair fanboy). I'd also suggest 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM. I love mine....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bros, for the quick response...

It is a new system to me... Do you guys think comparing my current system, with the new one, I will feel like a WOW difference, like going from the 7950Gx2 to gtx480 ? or do you guys think it will be more or less the same? ....

Will I notice the performance and be like *** !!!! Or will I be like... Hmmmmm... 400ms faster ?

Lol sorry to ask, My last intel was a single core, with a ati x800 video card (6 years ago?)

EDIT

Should I keep my gtx 480, and get a new one for SLI (I have one already)? or should I jst keep the gtx460 sli ?...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDrocks;14128845
Why does everyone care about benchmark scores?
Because synthetic benchmarks are apparently a reflection of real word performance.
rolleyes.gif

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
lol real world benchmarks even are funny, no one will notice a thousand points different in vantage.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, I don't strickly care toomuch about benchmark, but noticible frame drop in games hurts me...

in my current AMD system, which isnt that weak, in a 4v4 player in sc2, the frame will actually drop with 3d feature turned OFF... never mind with it on...

Also, when I tested resident evil 4, in 3d, the frame average in the benchmark was 45~61 @ cpu 3.2, then I oc'ed it back to 3.8, and it was benchmarked at 53 ~ 69

Anything below 56 is noticible by eye...

Also, I do understand the fact that my phenom II, can not bottle neck my single gtx480, so it wouldn't make sence for me to "hack sli" with this amd board, because it won't bottle neck the cards.

So I thought, maybe with the intel 2600k that is comming with the new pc, I might be able to upgrade to a gtx560 or something and sli it.. if necessary. I will jst get a better power supply ...

I did check the wire diagram, and even though dell bought alien, the 24 pin power wire order will not be changed, or else I will return the pc, even though it isnt a big deal for me to cut wires, even though I wouldn't be interested in doing it so.

Also, I don't feel confident that alien would install a hardcore mb in their system... so I might keep this alien case for future upgrades, so I will either mod it for ATX, or I will try to find a brutal Micro ATX to direct fit the board...

I do believe Alien Aurora pc, has a micro atx board....

Any ideas where I can get a Brutal Motherboard to direct fit this alien? ... Everything is fine with me, because when I customized it, i made sure they gave me cas 6, and I7 2600, but the motherboard is what is heavy in my mind.

**************EDIT************
After doing some research, it seems like any aftermarket PSU will fit, except I will have to cut some wires for the door powers, and possible need to weld some bull craps.

lol, it sounds like fun, NOT.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
50FPS is quite acceptable,it won't make any difference unless you use a 120Hz monitor. With a 2600K & SLI GTX460's you might only see 10-20FPS more,other cards such as a GTX560Ti or GTX570 will scale better in SLI.

You would be much better off building your own system instead of that overpriced Alienware with a cheapo motherboard,crappy pre-built water cooler, generic power supply and ram. You would actually save yourself money by getting the quality components you want instead of upgrading the Alienware.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy MG
View Post

50FPS is quite acceptable,it won't make any difference unless you use a 120Hz monitor. With a 2600K & SLI GTX460's you might only see 10-20FPS more,other cards such as a GTX560Ti or GTX570 will scale better in SLI.

You would be much better off building your own system instead of that overpriced Alienware with a cheapo motherboard,crappy pre-built water cooler, generic power supply and ram. You would actually save yourself money by getting the quality components you want instead of upgrading the Alienware.

First of all, NO.

50 fps is not acceptible by a person who want's to max out the grafix and enjoy the smoothness... And yeah, I got 120hz, . And again, No, 50 fps? lol hell no ... 56 is okay, because I have tested many times, My vision can't notice more than 56 .. to me, 56,57,58,60+ is insivible to my eyes... But yeah, an steady 60 with no drops, is a sign of extra power, with will avoid extra hardware stress, etc.

If my computer runs a game at 50fps, with 3d off, I will open it's case and puke on my motherboard.. Or I will give it away, like I am doing with my current AMD system (im giving it to my brother for free)

yeah buddy, I always build my own, but I don't think it was over priced, because they gave it for 1920, after upgrading to 1866 ram, and 2600k i7, since I bought over 7 pc's from them in the past for my business (regular standard pcs) ... I honestely don't think it was bad, the price after I customized it was $2300+, ... Minus discount, $1920...

And well, I tryed VERY VERy hard to find an alien case, I always wanted one, even though the one they used to make in 2006 looked much better, it was a real alien case, server sized.

Overall idea,...
I know for $1900 I could build something slightly better, and well, I don't think that , the water cooling it comes with, will be much worse then the H70 that I currently have. if so, I will make the H70 fit.

Also, upgrading my video card, and SLIing 2 560's if I need to, is doable, and guess what? I still get to keep the 460's ...

And yess, I have to agree with you on that mother board... But Will it be noticible? ..

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My thoughts on the original post:

Alienware PSU? That's what scares me. I would have just used the parts you were offered/customizing as a shopping list, the price probably would have been even less than that $1920 if that's an Alienware computer coming to your place.

Two 460's in the new computer? I would have bought all the new parts your getting, but instead of two 460's, a second 480, and then SLI'd it into your new rig.

2600k? Since you were able to, just a guess because of the PSU, get an Alienware rig, my guess is that price isn't a factor, but if it were custom and you wanted to save a few bucks, I would have gone with the 2500k. The price/performance increase from the 2500k to the 2600k isn't worth it.

P67 mobo and water cooling on the 2600k? Beautiful. You should be able to hit 5 ghz with that 2600k under water cooling.

1866MHZ RAM? Sounds pretty nice, not an expert on RAM though.

Two one TB HDD's in RAID 0? Excellente, should give nice speed and great storage. Won't be faster than the SSD's that you had in your AMD rig though.

So overall, yeah it's a really nice computer and I'm extremely jelly that you got all that, if you can't tell by looking at my rig I'm jelly of every one here at OCN
I probably have the worst rig here, but back to the point. Yes, it's a nice computer and will give great frames and benchmarks, but I would have built it my self off newegg and gotten 2500k vs. 2600k and a new 480 vs. two new 460's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thiagocosta85
View Post

First of all, NO.

50 fps is not acceptible by a person who want's to max out the grafix and enjoy the smoothness... And yeah, I got 120hz, . And again, No, 50 fps? lol hell no ... 56 is okay, because I have tested many times, My vision can't notice more than 56 .. to me, 56,57,58,60+ is insivible to my eyes... But yeah, an steady 60 with no drops, is a sign of extra power, with will avoid extra hardware stress, etc.

Try playing Bad Company 2 on my rig buddy... 18 FPS average, may be even worse, I can't tell for 100%, I don't want fraps running in the background making the frames even lower and harder to play with XP 50 FPS is very acceptable.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ Rivaldog

Hey bro... Don't be jelly, if each of us donates $20 bucks per month to a Overclock.net employee middle man, Id volunteer to give $20 per month for 2 years, and I wish you'd be the very first one to get a setup of your wish... If you were my brother Id give you my old AMD... because just by the words you use when you're helping your mate out, makes you deserve it. Lol some people don't have manners to talk with their online mates you know?

I know 50 fps is " acceptable" in most cases, but in my case, I would have kept my Amd Atlhon fx-32 64bit Dual Core 2.8 and my Nvidia 7950gx2 x2 setup I built in 2006... because it is still beastly running (replaced MB once due to explosion).

yeah, I completely agree, that psu worries me... I just got off the phone with AlienWare(dell) and they transfered to some highly knowledged person, so that he could email be better specs, which will be done in about 25 mins as he promissed...

I have been a AMD guy for so many years, so to tell you the truth, i am completely lost with my new setup. so I just wanted to know about the goods and bads, so that I can be prepared for modding...

The dell level 5 tech, is going to email me a wiring diagram on the Alien system I bought, that way I can study it, and even share with you guys, because I know I will have to do some cutting (he said the 24 pin connector is atx universal, I hope so).

I might go beastly, and get a gtx560+, if the sli 460's dont satisfy me..., but I don't think I will need to, because I was almost happy with my gtx480, knowing the phenom II is not bottlonecking the video card all the way, and the Intel 2600k should, I believe.

Thanks bro, for the usefull thoughts you have transmitted.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Thanks man, I'm glad you find my thoughts to be useful

And I definitely know what you mean by the guys who are a little to rude to talk with people
Luckily, it doesn't happen that often here at OCN though

The PSU should be good quality, I'm just saying that because it was Alienware I think it could have been cheaper had it been custom, but with $400 off the price, it shouldn't be much higher then what you may have actually payed to build it your self.

The 24 pin power connector is universal for any mother board's, almost all of the latest motherboard's come with 24 pin power connector's, but there are some older ones with only 20 pins, but they are being phased out. The safest route to go power connector wise when doing custom builds is to get the 20+4 pin power connectors, that allows you to use any motherboard around with your PSU. I believe that's what he may have meant by universal for all mobo's, that it's 20+4 pin.

Since you were almost happy with the 480, two 460's should satisfy you as two 460's together will out perform a 480 in any scenario. The 2600k CPU definitely won't bottleneck those cards though, you'll be fine there. My recommendation for an upgrade past the 460's though if they don't give you enough power, would be instead of going straight to SLI again with 560Ti's, go for either a single 570 or a single 580 that way you can SLI them later for an even better performance, that lets you have a few more options as I believe the 570 supports up to Tri-SLI, and the 580 supports Quad-SLI.

EDIT:

I went ahead and put together a shopping cart on newegg, and the total for the computer, shipped, is $1420.04, with out the cost of a water cooling system. I'm not sure what all parts would be needed for that. My guess, since it's Dell, is that it's probably not the greatest water cooling system anyways, and may even be a one component set up. It may not even include water cooling for your 460's is what I mean by that just to be clear. A quality water cooling system would cost around $300 for CPU and one or two GPU's, that's my guess. Even if the water cooling did cost $300, you still save $200 by having built it your self.

These were sort of random picks of the parts you listed on the first page, for example, I didn't select a specific brand of 460's because they are the best or anything, I just scrolled down and saw a 460 with 475 reviews and added two to the cart.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not to be mean, but you can build your own computer for 2 grand that would make what you are buying look really bad. Alienware computers are cool looking but that is about it. You get so much more out of your money buy building something yourself.

And as far as I know, Alienware computers only use the i7-2600 not the i7-2600k. Since they are not k series chips you will not be able to over clock your cpu. I'm sure there boards also stop you from being able to over clock them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ Leichwork, I know I know, I always build them myself at newegg.... and I usualy do research, I only bought the Alien, because I got $300 off, and, now I can use the tower for which ever computer I build futurely (as an auto body technician, making any cutting and welding mods will be fairly easy).

@rivaldog, Hey bro, thanks for taking your time to do that brother, What I ment to say about the power supply 24 pin order, is because, as a computer technician (side job, self employed) I fix many dells, and I did notice that EVERY single dell computer, that i have touched, has a modified PSU wiring order (24 pin / 20+4), to obligate users to buy DELL PSU's ... Just like on DELL laptops how the connector is the weirdest thing possible instead of the conventional universal connector.

As of for cooling, the best thing I ever did in my life, was to get this croissair H70 ... OMG this thing makes my amd be at 54Cº MAX at 3.8 FULL LOAD, as long as I clean the radiator fins, with a dust free spray every week, and replace thermal paste accordingly.

And yeah, I been comming to OCN back and forth, and it is a great community... Usually I come here everytime before I build a new machine, but this time I didn't build it, I jst bought a built one, which is noobish, but well ... Lets call this the beggining of my INTEL ERA ...

So I was worried that by replacing the current 850 watt supply, Id have to modify the 24 pin connector... but seems like not... On the other hand, there might be some mods required, in order for me to make all the side panel LED work, even though I might leave them disconnected anyways.

--edit--
Nah, I decided it will be a fun and enjoyable task to modify the harness to keep led's alive (if required), but it wont be for a while, because I will wait for the gtx590 to drop in price... It will drop at least 30% whithin a year and half (I hope) ^^ !

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin0822
View Post

you think 50FPS is playable? damn maybe i am just crazy with my GTX 570.

I play metro and it bounces around between 40 to 80 and I find it completely playable , witcher 2 30-75 fps completely playable

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by duox
View Post

I play metro and it bounces around between 40 to 80 and I find it completely playable , witcher 2 30-75 fps completely playable

yeah, if I had to I would also play a game that I liked in 30 fps, It was jst a response I had to apply due to a rude boy that commented up there...

But do you really only get 30 FPS in witcher 2 with that video card you got? hmmmm, i think you should get more... no ?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts