Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i want to buy a new amd 64. according to some recent threads, an AMD64 3000+ (754) is the way to go as far as bang per buck. now, i wanted to get a one of these with a 1mb cache but the only one's i seem to find are for notebooks. (link below)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-444&depa=1

Now, this is for a desktop PC so does it make a difference whether or not i use a cpu that is for a notebook? same with the mobo, will that make a difference too?
the core is also different, the notebooked ones are ClawHammeres and the others are Newcastle, which would be better period? ( and for overclocking
)

thanks for answering anything

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Txsaggieman

haha, i was about to ask the same question. We both need yall's help. Please help us :)

DTR = Desktop Replacement

You can use them in a desktop motherboard (they dont sell mobo's for notebooks, plus if they did you dont want that crap..) and I prefer the clawhammers to the newcastle, you get 1MB L2 cache on the clawhammer, exposed CPU die (better heat dissipation) and they're 81watts(not great but better than 89).

New castle gets 512kb cache, heatspreader (safer but hotter), and 89.something watts (a bit hotter).

So, clawhammer is what you want. And try to get the ones with model number that finished in AR, these are CG steppings which is a later revision than the AP(C0 steppings). The CG's have an improved memory controller and you can use 1T timings = better mem bandwith.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dman786

ok, i want to buy a new amd 64. according to some recent threads, an AMD64 3000+ (754) is the way to go as far as bang per buck. now, i wanted to get a one of these with a 1mb cache but the only one's i seem to find are for notebooks. (link below)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-444&depa=1

Now, this is for a desktop PC so does it make a difference whether or not i use a cpu that is for a notebook? same with the mobo, will that make a difference too?
the core is also different, the notebooked ones are ClawHammeres and the others are Newcastle, which would be better period? ( and for overclocking
)

thanks for answering anything

Yes indeed, get the Clawhammer DTR one. I have the CG revision and I love it. It doesnt even show up as a Mobile A64 but just a regular A64. Hope this helps your decision.

-wC

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny

Just keep in mind that you may have to mod your Heatsink assembly to seat properly with the DTR's

I didnt have to mod anything to mount my dtr, it mounted right on peferfect idling 29C @ stock speeds in south FLorida.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That was somthing i was worried about. I had seen before somebody having to modify their heatsink to get it to touch the CPU. But since you guys say it is fine, then i believe you :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts