Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right all over the internet I have seen information on this AMD 64-Bit processor but it all seems to be different.
I know for 64-Bit Processor youll need 64-Bit MOBO like the DFI NF4 Lanparty but I have seen that some people say you have to have Win XP 64 Bit, Some say it will work with normal win XP so to clear it all up:

1) will it work with normal windows?
2) even with Windows XP 64 Bit on will it allow you to play normal games out at the moment or will everything have to be 64-Bit technology?
3) and this is nothing about 64-Bit processors but anybody have any information on PCI-e?
4) if you buy a PCI-e MOBO will your GFX card have to be PCI-e?

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok, to make things clear.

1) amd athlon 64 processors can run 32 and 64 bit o.s
2) i dont know the answer to. but from what i here from friends, yes, you can.
3) well, pcie is the future and has alot of room to prove itself. so it'll be around for along time. and major manufactors are now making most of there gfx cards pcie based anyway.
4) of course. you cant run an agp card on it. its a totally different bus.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by apprentice21

ok, to make things clear.

1) amd athlon 64 processors can run 32 and 64 bit o.s
2) i dont know the answer to. but from what i here from friends, yes, you can.
3) well, pcie is the future and has alot of room to prove itself. so it'll be around for along time. and major manufactors are now making most of there gfx cards pcie based anyway.
4) of course. you cant run an agp card on it. its a totally different bus.

Thanks for your help I was unaware whether PCIe boards still had a AGP slot or not, guess not thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
If you want some pretty specific and deatailed info on Athlon 64s, you can check the link in my signature, and post a coulpe questions if you like and I'll answer them as best I can.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive only had a quick browse at moment but when get time will read. thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so with socket 939 being 1000mhz im guessing this is fastest out at moment yes?

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philwn

ok so with socket 939 being 1000mhz im guessing this is fastest out at moment yes?

If your refering to Hyper transport speed then for a 939 NF4 board its 2000MHz and for a socket 754 NF3 board its 1600MHz.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

If your refering to Hyper transport speed then for a 939 NF4 board its 2000MHz and for a socket 754 NF3 board its 1600MHz.

Yes but after reading yiffy's guide I learnt that there is real clock rate and effective clock rate therefore 939 being 1000 and 754 being 800 therefore the effective clock rates are twice the speed being the speeds you gave me.

Thanks for your help anyway

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philwn

Yes but after reading yiffy's guide I learnt that there is real clock rate and effective clock rate therefore 939 being 1000 and 754 being 800 therefore the effective clock rates are twice the speed being the speeds you gave me.

Thanks for your help anyway

I know that but if you overclock then you need to know the effective speeds.

When your overclocking an AMD64 if you put your FSB up you have to take into consideration the HT effective speed because if you go over it by a large margin you will end up having an unstable overclock.

To not go over the effective speeds we have the LDT(Lightning Data Transport) FSB Ratio which works like this.

200FSB x2(DDR) x4(LDT) = 1600

So you have to take into consideration the LDT and lower it when you start going over 1600.

As Yiffy described the
Quote:

The Hyper-Transport bus for all platforms (Socket 754, 939, and 940) is two-way, meaning it can both send a recieve data once per clock cyles, both data paths are 16-bits wide for an effective data transmision of 32 bits per clock cyles.

which is where we get the x2(DDR) that will always be x2 so to lower the HT speed we drop the LDT.

245FSB X2(DDR) X3(LDT) = 1470

1 - 11 of 11 Posts