Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tried to post this on AMD's forum, I get this:
Discussion blocked due to potentially offensive language or unauthorized content
I don't see what's so offensive or unauthorized about what I said in my post so I decide to share my thoughts with people at overclock.net

As most of you know that Intel has been jabbing AMD left and right for the past several years using their monopoly power with the OEMs, mainly to make OEMs (computer manufacturers) to make and sell only Intel processor computers.

What I don't understand is that why AMD is acting like a sitting duck and just take the jabs from Intel.

Look at what AMD has to offer:

They have their own chipset.

Their have their own processor.

They have their own graphics card.

They have their own low power APU fusion processor.

They have everything they need in-house to build their own computer manufacturing business.

Why don't they follow the path of Apple and just make their own products, tablets, laptops, desktops, they can do it in-house and sell it for cheaper than Intel powered computers.

So why AMD is acting like a sitting duck? Are they lazy? CEO and board of directors getting paid to eat popcorns and watch movies on their comfy couch?

Seriously, what's wrong with them?

Apple don't sell fast computers, they didn't become successful because their computers are faster than PCs, they only recently switched to Intel processors on their products. Even then, their computers are crap and slow compare to custom built PCs. Apple is successful because of the pretty white color, and AMD can do the same with Black color, just make things look pretty and sell it for high profit like Apple does with their stuff.

If eating popcorn and waiting for the company to die is all AMD's board of directors do, then I can be the CEO of AMD and do a better job, at least I wouldn't take the jabs from Intel, I would do something about it.

If AMD needs money to start their new department, plenty of investors including myself would be happy to lend them the money to start this expansion.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Are you serious? Apple don't even make there own CPUs anymore for there PC. They are Intel CPUs.
AMD has there hand in the console hardware now, so AMD will not going to die.

·
Adclock.net
3,752 Posts
you missed one broskie

Amd also has their own ram brand

·
Registered
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post

Are you serious? Apple don't even make there own CPUs anymore for there PC. They are Intel CPUs.
Lets also add in the fact that Apples revenue is from the iPhone, then iPad and iPod. Their laptops and desktops are a VERY small percentage of their earnings. AMD could go the tablet or even phone route but it would probably be a bust like the Windows phone is currently doing. AMD would bite it so fast if they attempted to do this now. They need to keep on moving forward and hopefully start winning in the GPU and CPU markets or they're going to die out.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightEscape View Post

Lets also add in the fact that Apples revenue is from the iPhone, then iPad and iPod. Their laptops and desktops are a VERY small percentage of their earnings. AMD could go the tablet or even phone route but it would probably be a bust like the Windows phone is currently doing. AMD would bite it so fast if they attempted to do this now. They need to keep on moving forward and hopefully start winning in the GPU and CPU markets or they're going to die out.
AMD is kick ass in the Video Card department.
Most of this bench test AMD is winning.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=555

EDIT
Plus AMD PD is kicking most of the Intel CPUs in multi-threading.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Yea.... look at what you are saying, are you serious? That's right, AMD has their own processor and Apple doesn't, but look at Apple's stock price then look at AMD.
Console is not a big market, people use emulators dude.
Tablets, Smartphone, laptops, those are big markets.
Yea... AMD is not going to die right away, they will be there for awhile, but for how long?

If AMD needs money to start their own manufacturing business, plenty of investors will lend them money to do so, their stock prices are so low and affordable, even people working at McDonalds can afford to buy some shares of AMD.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPK View Post

For gaming. There are more people that game on a console vs. a PC and that is a fact.

EDIT
Apple stuff is just crap with a high price tag.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightEscape View Post

You are missing the point here, AMD doesn't need to be faster than Intel to be successful, even if AMD DOES surpass Intel in performance, what then? Can AMD overcome the Intel's monopoly with the OEMs? Why AMD's Trinity is so great for budget gamers but all you see is laptops made from Intel processors with Intel IGP? It's the Intel MONOPOLY, Intel team up with the OEMs to only make machines with their processors, the ratio is probably like 20:1, every 20 Intel laptop models you see, you only see 1 from AMD, if all consumers see is Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel in the store, what are they going to buy? Intel. Get it? AMD simply can't overcome the Intel Monopoly with the OEMs, they have to stand up on their own and stop relying on the OEMs to make their computers, they have to start making their own like Apple. Do you get my point now?

·
Registered
108 Posts
AMD also bought rights to make a custom ARM-based processor. Although the reason was given was for offloading some cpu tasks (like a co-processor?). Source from a side article in either PC Gamer or Maximum PC. Is this possibly a way in to the market that is expanding and significantly threatening Intel (mobile-wise)?

Other than that, AMD has executed several lay-offs and supposedly killed the current processors in the works that were based off of the failed Bulldozer. Pretty disappointing as I was an AMD die-hard in their heyday.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

For gaming. There are more people that game on a console vs. a PC and that is a fact.
EDIT
Apple stuff is just crap with a high price tag.
Ya, you are right, apple really is crap, but they are making money, why? cuz they make their own "ready to use" products.
This topic is not about console or whatever AMD is putting their stuff in, it's about overcome Intel's OEM Monopoly and stand up for themselves like Apple, stop relying on OEMs that only make products for Intel. Do you think AMD can grow by associating themselves with friends of Intel? They have to stand on their own, make their own "ready to use" products just like Apple.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:

You are missing the point here, AMD doesn't need to be faster than Intel to be successful, even if AMD DOES surpass Intel in performance, what then? Can AMD overcome the Intel's monopoly with the OEMs? Why AMD's Trinity is so great for budget gamers but all you see is laptops made from Intel processors with Intel IGP? It's the Intel MONOPOLY, Intel team up with the OEMs to only make machines with their processors, the ratio is probably like 20:1, every 20 Intel laptop models you see, you only see 1 from AMD, if all consumers see is Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel Intel in the store, what are they going to buy? Intel. Get it? AMD simply can't overcome the Intel Monopoly with the OEMs, they have to stand up on their own and stop relying on the OEMs to make their computers, they have to start making their own like Apple. Do you get my point now?
I fully agree.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpendent View Post

Other than that, AMD has executed several lay-offs and supposedly killed the current processors in the works that were based off of the failed Bulldozer. Pretty disappointing as I was an AMD die-hard in their heyday.
Intel did several lay-offs too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracks510 View Post

I fully agree.
Thank You and people who say AMD has no money to do this, that's just lame excuses for lazyness, plenty people will buy their stocks and give them money for them to make this expansion happen. Their stock prices are so affordable, even street bums and homeless can afford to buy it.

AMD is doing bad because their board of director/CEO are either lazy or stupid.

·
Banned
258 Posts
. I think it would be quite easy for AMD to pull something like this off seeing as they already make a good chunk of the hardware in house it would not the that big of a stretch for them to get an entire rig going. the other thing is it would be good competition for Intel in the fact that it would be more affordable for better pre-built systems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaumig Shamane View Post

. I think it would be quite easy for AMD to pull something like this off seeing as they already make a good chunk of the hardware in house it would not the that big of a stretch for them to get an entire rig going. the other thing is it would be good competition for Intel in the fact that it would be more affordable for better pre-built systems.
That's the whole point of my post, I really don't get why AMD doesn't do this, that's like saying "I don't wanna make more money, I don't wanna grow, I just wanna take jabs from Intel and slowly disappear from the world".

If AMD goes down, Intel's Monopoly will really come true, no more new processor every year, Haswell will be the last processor from Intel and it will cost you $500 for a dualcore. (i'm exaggerating but you get my point.)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:

Thank You and people who say AMD has no money to do this, that's just lame excuses for lazyness, plenty people will buy their stocks and give them money for them to make this expansion happen. Their stock prices are so affordable, even street bums and homeless can afford to buy it.
AMD is doing bad because their board of director/CEO are either lazy or stupid.
I have to say, my mom does investing and every day buys/sells thousands of amd shares daily and she claims shes making money. i dont know because im still young but, i hope its true because amd really needs it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracks510 View Post

I have to say, my mom does investing and every day buys/sells thousands of amd shares daily and she claims shes making money. i dont know because im still young but, i hope its true because amd really needs it.
Your mom is a day trader, she buy then sell when it go up few cents or few dime, it's safer but require more effort, wake up 6:30AM mon-fri.
Day traders are not real investors, they are bargain hunters, it's like going to a store and load up sale items then sell it back out when sale ends.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Quote:

Obvious troll is obvious.

the only thing intel does not make that AMD does is a REAL GPU
Intel has the onboard HD grpahics stuff.

On the lines of AMD making phones/tablets.
THEY SOLD ADRENO(imageon) TO QUALCOMM!
Which as far as I know is dominating the market in mobile GPU's

if AMD wanted to do mobile devices, why would they have sold off what is now one of the most popular mobile GPU's

Would be like Texas instruments selling off their OMAP processors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts