Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I heard that if you buy a socket 939 opty and it is not used in a server there is no warranty even if you buy a retail box version. Is there any truth in that?

I am thinking about buying a 148 and there is a $20 difference between the two and I figure if the retail box doesn't have a warranty there is no need to spend the extra money to get it.

so I guess if they are only covered if they are in a server how would AMD ever know?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The OEMs usually only have a 30, 60, or 90 day warranty unless you pay for an upgrade. Retail are advertised with a 3 year.
Whether or not they will warrante an Opty in a nonserver MB is unknown to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you go by what people are doing on this forum the warranty wont matter, considering OC'ing voids the warranty
I would say go with the OEM, Because if you do OC then you should buy a aftermarket heatsink anyways. (OEM does not come with a HS)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
i went ahead and bought a retail opteron because it had the 3 year warranty. was this s waste of money? i also bought an aftermarket cooler too. guess another HS in my box of computer junk. heh

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The fact remains, unless you tell them, AMD will never know you did or didn't use it in a workstation/server motherboard.
The same goes for overclocking, unless you told them you did or you burned the chip from it, they'll never know.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I ordered the retail version cause I figure they'll never know it wasn't used in a server... and if they ask I could always tell them that it is... (ouch) I don't need the hsf.. but having an extra laying around won't hurt.

I have a big typhoon that i'll use w/ it

oh, btw... are the hsf that come w/ opterons better than the ones that come w/ a64's? I'm just wondering because I'm putting my 3200 in another computer and I can either use the stock fan from it or the one from my new opty

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
No, it's pretty much the same as the ones that come with that Athlon 64s. No heatpipes or anything like the ones that come with the X2s and FXs.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
congrats on the purchase....you will become one of us now..

The difference in price is viewed really as "piece of mind" for the warranty. I guess it's good to think of 3 years. But on the other hand, do you expect to have that chip for 3 years....I usually change chips once a year..I bought OEM because I've never run into any problems with killing chips..I'm sure I have been close with some of the voltages I toss at them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts