Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://en.akihabaranews.com/53114/so...%28AKIBA+EN%29

Quote:

Canon Japan will offer Finger Print Authentication Software developed by Hitachi Software Engineering for their MEAP Advance-enabled imageRUNNER ADVANCE series of multi-functional peripheral devices (MFPs). As you may know MEAP is an applications development platform running on JAVA J2ME of Sun Microsystems

So happy I don't work in an office.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Not hard to defeat I'm betting.

The mythbusters were able to fool a hotel fingerprint doorlock and a laptop fingerprint lock by simply photocopying a fingerprint at a really high quality and touching it up a bit in Photoshop. I doubt this will be any different.

Photocopying your ass will only have a couple of extra steps on it, that's about it. And you can use it to get your coworkers fired if you don't like them.

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
Not hard to defeat I'm betting.

The mythbusters were able to fool a hotel fingerprint doorlock and a laptop fingerprint lock by simply photocopying a fingerprint at a really high quality and touching it up a bit in Photoshop. I doubt this will be any different.

Photocopying your ass will only have a couple of extra steps on it, that's about it. And you can use it to get your coworkers fired if you don't like them.
If you're going through that much effort just to photocopy your ass, you should probably just buy your own copier and call it a day.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
The mythbusters were able to fool a hotel fingerprint doorlock and a laptop fingerprint lock by simply photocopying a fingerprint at a really high quality and touching it up a bit in Photoshop.
Using the photocopier to photocopy your fingerprint to use your fingerprint to use the photocopier.

I like it.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
If you're going through that much effort just to photocopy your ass, you should probably just buy your own copier and call it a day.
...and who has four thousand dollars laying around to do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoTMaXPoWeR View Post
Using the photocopier to photocopy your fingerprint to use your fingerprint to use the photocopier.

I like it.
Not your fingerprint. Someone else's. And they're not hard to get, just have someone handle a spotless CD jewel case. Lift it with some normal stickytape.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
What exactly is photocopier abuse? I seriously can't think of anything. The article does not say what these new security measures are supposed to be preventing.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
In college, we discovered the card scanner/vending device attached to the copier was connected by a simple plastic connector with about 8 pins inside. With a small amount of experimentation, we found out that if you bridged pins 5 and 8 with a paper clip the copier thought the vending device was giving it the "Approval" signal. Free Copies!

Unscrupulous? Yeah, but ask me if I feel guilty stealing some copying privileges from the University that sold my private information to credit card companies for profit.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Its annoying to have to deal with people that don't belong in my office tying up my photocopier with large workloads because it waste's my time and their department has their own copier. Its also very embarassing as it is such a petty thing to have to pick up on.

Also, at the moment, each of my employee's have a code to log on to the printer, and I personnaly find it a pita to type it in... pressing my finger on the scanner however, is alot easier and I assume quicker

Makes sure when you are costing the printer into your budget, you know you are costing for your department, and not two or more.

This is just one use it would help with
the pure amount of time my department loses with the copier.

• Rep+
Reactions: 4.54billionyears

·
Registered
500 Posts
officespaceprinterbeating.jpg
i wonder what the sales pitch was that canon used to terrify sucker companies into investing in this ridiculous printer security locking device. REMOVING THE POWER CORD WOULD WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA.

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat79
View Post

What exactly is photocopier abuse? I seriously can't think of anything. The article does not say what these new security measures are supposed to be preventing.

Most corporate and business copiers are for work use only. Many people will use the copiers for their own use (flyers, taxes, etc.). This costs the company money and the employees get it for free. So they are essentially stealing copies. It happens quite often. This will be sure to link people with the copies they make rather than requiring to sign a copy log which anyone can just chose not to do.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.54billionyears View Post
i wonder what the sales pitch was that canon used to terrify sucker companies into investing in this ridiculous printer security locking device. REMOVING THE POWER CORD WOULD WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA.
Two post's above is mine, have a read

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Most corporate and business copiers are for work use only. Many people will use the copiers for their own use (flyers, taxes, etc.). This costs the company money and the employees get it for free. So they are essentially stealing copies. It happens quite often. This will be sure to link people with the copies they make rather than requiring to sign a copy log which anyone can just chose not to do.
Most companies can afford it though.
Let's be honest here, it's not like these people are going to mom and pop places and just copying for their own good.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

Hmm, there would have to be a lot of unsanctioned copies being made to make up for the extra cost of the security measures being put in place. I guess in a very big company it would eventually be cost effective and pay for itself.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.54billionyears View Post
Would be hard to make legit copies without the power cord

Quote:

Let's be honest here, it's not like these people are going to mom and pop places and just copying for their own good.
Eh, those same places can afford things like employee's browsing Facebook for a few minutes, but most employers use a webfilter to prevent that. Why?
Just because they can afford misuse of company time and money, doesn't mean they should have to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat79 View Post
Hmm, there would have to be a lot of unsanctioned copies being made to make up for the extra cost of the security measures being put in place. I guess in a very big company it would eventually be cost effective and pay for itself.
Do we know how much the "extra cost" is?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Just because they company has money doesn't mean it's okay for employees to spend it for personal use. As a stockholder, I'm all for reducing unauthorized spending.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemunky
View Post

Two post's above is mine, have a read

yes i read that youre legit and genuine about printing.

i am stumped that canon would make printers more expensive than make printers affordable to individuals so that people would not have to steal or use unauthorized access to company printers.

the money that goes towards ****ty printer security could go towards affordable printers that have professional quality.

the technology is being misguided.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Great, another piece to break down and take our office out of action.

Seriously, I don't know whether its just my office, but these things seem to break down all the friggin time

I'm not seeing the point of a fingerprint scanner besides adding another layer of potential will-it-won't-it-call-the-engineer hassle. Sure if people 'borrow' our copier it tends to be because theirs is.... surprise.. broken down again, otherwise they wouldn't walk all the way over in the first place.

That said, I work in the public sector, so ours are ancient (hence the breaking down).

EDIT: ^^ Yeah, all a bit negative there. It's late
Stepping back a pace or two, .. joemunky's right, it's quicker than typing in a code every time, and certainly more secure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts