Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so here's what I've got rolling around in my head.

I suck at creating applications out of thin air.

I also can't motivate myself to reinvent the wheel, I find this annoying. No point in spending 2 weeks making an app that someone did 6 months ago, that does way more than my stupid little app does.

OCN has been pretty good to me in the past, so this place is as good as any to run this by people, hopefully finding someone who's interested in what I can offer.

I know basic syntax for various languages (Python, C/C++/C#, Java to name a few), but I haven't been well versed in various programming concepts and ideas. I'm not looking to make money right now, I'm just looking for skill building exercises (not stupid math problems) that are practical and useful. I'm at that breaking point where I can write stupid little problems in a console, but anything beyond that just gets really confusing.

So if anyone needs somebody to write little scripts or something in Python to do things that they find redundant, I'd be willing to do these to build my skills. I guess I'm looking for a mentor to help me out if I have questions, and possibly give me things to do. I find I'm better at coding when I have a purpose, not aimlessly typing into an IDE hoping to get something done. I don't really have any personal itches to scratch, and the programs I want to design are way out of my league right now.

I'm just tired of muddling around in code and never getting anything done. So if you're interested, send me a message on aim or something, or a pm.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Me and some mates are currently programming a game using C++ with openGL... we could use another programmer. This is just for fun, no commissions or anything (there may be when we sell the game). If you're interested head over to the site and talk to Josh, the guy who manages everything. chaoticrage

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am in the same boat as you OP, you summarised me pretty well actualy

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sktfreak
View Post

Me and some mates are currently programming a game using C++ with openGL... we could use another programmer. This is just for fun, no commissions or anything (there may be when we sell the game). If you're interested head over to the site and talk to Josh, the guy who manages everything. chaoticrage

Also that sounds really cool, downloaded the Alpha

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Make a game. That will expose you to pretty much every aspect of programming, and its a lot of fun.

·
Registered
214 Posts
For me it just comes to me.

For example I am riding in the elevator at FIU, and I randomly think, hmmm, I wonder how an elevator programming would look like. So then I just go ahead, and make a program that would somehow resemble it.

Or recently I was stumbling on the interwebs, and came across that thing where you see the scrambled words, but can still read it perfectly. So I decided to go ahead and make a small program that will take any textual input and scramble the words but keep the first and last letters in the same position.

These programs have no use at all, but its just a way t satisfy myself and test myself.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Dolans
View Post

I am in the same boat as you OP, you summarised me pretty well actualy

EDIT:

Also that sounds really cool, downloaded the Alpha

Alpha 8 is outdated now. Josh has made a beta (which is A LOT better) but wont release it publicly yet =)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'm in need of a python library that would be able to parse text from images. For example you make a screenshot of a picture containing a text and there would be functions able to identify and extract strings from the image.

The position of the text and font used would be fixed, which makes it a little bit simpler, but it's still quite challenging project, which could see many uses if done well. It requires some research though and I don't have the time to do it myself. It would be a part of my small (gaming related) application which I'm working on. If you're interested PM me for details.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It shouldn't be hard to find things to do. As Intresting Enough said, they should just come to you.

You know that annoying menial thing you keep having to do on computer? I'm sure you do. Write something to do it for you.

Have to keep hex editing a particular file format? Write an editor for it.

Ever had an idea like "Wouldn't it be good if computers could ... ?" Well make them do it.

I've been doing it for over 15 years and I'm still finding random crap to make when I should be doing other things. Procrastination is fun.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to say that I appreciate the posts in this thread.

Haven't posted much because I've been moving the past few days.

But I'll start thinking about this stuff once I get my desktop set up.

But hopefully this thread will help other people too, so keep posting suggestions if you have em

1 - 11 of 11 Posts