Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 277 Posts

·
Programmer
Joined
·
28,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

Before I'm gonna talk about what I observed as far as RAM speed -> min FPS impact....
I just got Predator X 2666MHz. The PC runs fine, except both XMP profiles,which are actually shown correctly in UEFI, kinda don't work. Both 2400 and 2666 CL 11 profiles set my RAM speed to 2133 CL9. I thought it was some kind of UEFI problem (although I picked my mem sticks from the official supported list). Are you suggesting that Sandy Bridge chips can actually limit RAM speed ? I ain't found nothing like this on the net, although I've been looking...

OK, back to the results.

Setup1: i5 2500k @4,72GHz, 8GB DDR3 @2240MHz CL9 in dual channel mode, R9 290 Tri-X.
Setup2: the same, except for @1066 CL7 dual channel DDR3 memory
Far Cry 3, Ultra preset, 1080p, mission: deepthroat (complete), run twice to ensure the results are precise.

Run1:
@2240 CL9 min. FPS - 57
@1066 CL7 min. FPS - 43

Run2:
@2240 CL9 min. FPS - 53
@1066 CL7 min. FPS - 42

Quite a difference, right ?
The -4 fps difference between run1 and run2 might've been more of a one-sec HDD freeze, most of the time the game is locked at 60fps, no drops at all.
Looks like quicker RAM certainly helps.
 

·
Programmer
Joined
·
28,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

no way!
wink.gif
lol, you know what I mean. We are always told on forums by people who don' know anything that faster RAM does not help much in games.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,329 Posts
well if your going from 1600 to 1866 just because, it might not be worth the investment, that I can understand.

If your coming from 1333 to 2400 then hell yeah
biggrin.gif
 

·
Programmer
Joined
·
28,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

well if your going from 1600 to 1866 just because, it might not be worth the investment, that I can understand.

If your coming from 1333 to 2400 then hell yeah
biggrin.gif
I think the minimum should be 1600MHz for gamers. Anything higher will be great for CPU intensive parts of games. 1333MHz is just poor.
 

·
Programmer
Joined
·
28,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

SSD doesn't either.
They do help with reducing load level stutter, which can also increase minimum fps during load level .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,766 Posts
yeah if someone should do like a fcat benchmark, ssd vs hdd, to compare the number of fps drops, I think that would be no surprise that SSD would prove its value. besides, I think that even with 8GB 2000MHz+ systems the pagefile is still used, we know what that means on HDD - lags and freezes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
I was determined on upgrading to 2133Mhz CL9 instead of 2400MHz CL10 for my rig. But after reading this thread and last couple of posts I'm a bit lost. I mainly play BF4, Planetside 2, MetroLL and other graphic intense games. So i wonder if the added speed of 2400MHz will mask the compromise of the increased latency.

Also, my current RAM speed is 1333MHz so this will be a big jump.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,766 Posts
Have you checked the prices ? I bought my Kingston 2666 CL11 kit for a couple bucks less than 2400 (running it 2133 CL9 however, my cpu/mobo won't allow more). The results posted in this thread clearly suggest that speed is more important than low latency. If you can't decide why don't you get some 2300MHz CL8 kit, you'll be happy one way or another
smile.gif
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempre View Post

I was determined on upgrading to 2133Mhz CL9 instead of 2400MHz CL10 for my rig. But after reading this thread and last couple of posts I'm a bit lost. I mainly play BF4, Planetside 2, MetroLL and other graphic intense games. So i wonder if the added speed of 2400MHz will mask the compromise of the increased latency.

Also, my current RAM speed is 1333MHz so this will be a big jump.
I'd be glad to help you but of all the games you listed I only have MetroLL and I suppose even if I downclocked my CPU and my RAM I'd still get no drops, this games is very smooth once you disable PhysX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

I'd be glad to help you but of all the games you listed I only have MetroLL and I suppose even if I downclocked my CPU and my RAM I'd still get no drops, this games is very smooth once you disable PhysX.
That's really kind of you. Thanks
smile.gif


Regarding the PhysX on MetroLL though. Not only did it not run smoothly with it on. It wasn't even playable until i turned off PhysX. But overall a smooth game.

Im leaning now to the 2400MHz setup. Since i can try lower latencies to try out and see which is best.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,766 Posts
I'm sure a good 2400 CL10 kit can be used at , let's say, 9-10-9-24, on XMS profile volts. Since we're discussing physX, if sb convinced me to pay double for 780Ti instead of 290 only to get these stupid cool pysiX effects that AMD doesn't offer I'd crack his fu**in shins with a fu**in bowling ball a week later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

I'm sure a good 2400 CL10 kit can be used at , let's say, 9-10-9-24, on XMS profile volts. Since we're discussing physX, if sb convinced me to pay double for 780Ti instead of 290 only to get these stupid cool pysiX effects that AMD doesn't offer I'd crack his fu**in shins with a fu**in bowling ball a week later.
lol. Unfortunately i couldn't get a 290 because of the mining craze, and a used 780 Ti seemed like a better deal earlier this year.

Back on topic; i guess ill be hunting now for 2400MHz sticks. I'm eager to see how much the 1333MHz been holding me back.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,766 Posts
I didn't mean 780Ti isn't better than 290, at 1080p or 1440p in single GPU setups it's waaay better. At 4k in dual GPU setups they're even according to benchmarks.

Oh, you will see the difference. I'm sure you will. First day I exchanged my 1066 ram for 2666 I was stunned,10-12 min fps difference, although it was running at 2133.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
32,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

I think that even with 8GB 2000MHz+ systems the pagefile is still used
Not for much.

I always keep a pagefile enabled because I do use software that behaves oddly when one isn't present, but I have the minimum size set to 16MiB (and the max at some obscene level like 48GiB, just in case). I can still go weeks without the minimum size ever increasing, despite repeatedly filling my 32GiB of physical memory to 95%+.
 
41 - 60 of 277 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top