1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3792/c...lssd-c300-64gb
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...DDAC064MAG-1G1

Quote:

The SSD battles continue unabated, with SandForce, Crucial, Intel and others vying for supremacy. Our first encounter with the C300 series showed some impressive results, particularly in the sequential read tests where the SATA 6Gbps interface allowed a single drive to break the 300MB/s barrier. While there were some teething issues with firmware initially, the latest revisions seem to have cleared things up and prices are generally competitive. One of the biggest benefits of SSDs is the increase in performance for general Windows/OS tasks, and to that end many users are interested in a lower capacity SSD that can still offer good performance.

The price for this new 64GB SSD model is only $150 retail! The Marvell controller is better than Indilinx Barefoot.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Well I guess it's time to start feeling inadequate for spending $210 on my Vertex "clone"...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpopsaranghae
View Post

now i feel bad about buying my vertex 2 60 gb for 160.... :/

You have a SandForce SF-1200+ controller... don't feel bad at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond
View Post

lol. good thing i didn't buy that ssd i was looking at last night or i would have felt stupid.

It's $150 retail... so hopefully sales and such will bring it down to maybe $120-130!

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Finally, my first SSD

Wait...two of these are $100 cheaper than a 128GB version? WOOT!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Reads are impressive, but I think I'd still rather have a Sandforce SF 1200 model ie OCZ Vertex 2, Corsair Force, Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe, G.SKILL Phoenix PRO, etc. All of which now come in 60GB flavors now and may not shatter SATA 300MB/s reads, but they do a whole hell of a lot better than 75MB/s writes.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
damn, how much speed will i loose if i put this back on sata2 instead..280ish/355? youd think? but still, at that price point? its a steal, who cares. and marvel stuffs are awlays great. esp. the integrated ethernet chipsets LOL

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645
View Post

Those write speeds make me cry...
Better than SandForce?

Hard to say without comprehensive benchmarks. The Marvell controller has horrible worst case latency... but has gotten a few firmware updates. SandForce performance isn't very consistent either depending on data.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMv8(1day)
View Post

they do a whole hell of a lot better than 75MB/s writes.

75MB/s sequential writes is the least important benchmark.... how often do you move large files to the app/OS drive?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMv8(1day)
View Post

Reads are impressive, but I think I'd still rather have a Sandforce SF 1200 model ie OCZ Vertex 2, Corsair Force, Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe, G.SKILL Phoenix PRO, etc. All of which now come in 60GB flavors now and may not shatter SATA 300MB/s reads, but they do a whole hell of a lot better than 75MB/s writes.

You are totally missing the point. This drive is probably the best drive for the money as an OS/Game drive. You dont write to an OS drive that often you dont need more than 75mbs sustained.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's finally happening.... Quality SSDs are dropping in prices!

$50-80 for 2nd gen 30GB (Indilinx)
$100-130 2nd gen for 60GB (Indilinx)
$150-200 3rd gen for 60GB (Marvell, SandForce)

Can't wait for Intel's G3 and Indilinx's Jetstream!

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
I can't wait for the 6gbps sandforce drives. I heard they were going to almost max out the bus!

·
Premium Member
10,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3792/c...lssd-c300-64gb
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...DDAC064MAG-1G1

The price for this new 64GB SSD model is only $150 retail! The Marvell controller is better than Indilinx Barefoot.

Better than the sandforce too it seems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elito
View Post

damn, how much speed will i loose if i put this back on sata2 instead..280ish/355? youd think? but still, at that price point? its a steal, who cares. and marvel stuffs are awlays great. esp. the integrated ethernet chipsets LOL

About 255-270 it seems.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Duckie, do you know how they are making out with progress on the Jetstream controller ? Last I read it has been delayed again to 2011 sometime, I hope I am wrong though. Just thinking ahead for price competition purposes as I would like a 25nm SSD next and throw this G2 Intel in my notebook.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Quote:

When is Intel launching G3? Last I heard was mid q4

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
Duckie, do you know how they are making out with progress on the Jetstream controller ? Last I read it has been delayed again to 2011 sometime, I hope I am wrong though. Just thinking ahead for price competition purposes as I would like a 25nm SSD next and throw this G2 Intel in my notebook.
Woah.... I missed this completely!

Barefoot 2 will have eight channels.... which is no more than the current Barefoot or Barefoot Eco.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/15543/...011/index.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martkilu View Post
When is Intel launching G3? Last I heard was mid q4
IMFT have been shipping 25nm NAND for a few months now..... so definitely this year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not up to date with ssd, what's the advantage in buying them if for example you're a gamer? thx

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3VL4R View Post
If you install your game on the SSD, the game will install quicker and your levels will load faster. That's the main advantage. Though the performance you get while doing your everyday computing is worth a SSD in itself, even if you spend a lot of time gaming..
Do you think it's worth more(performance wise) than buying a better cpu(from mid-low to mid-high range not high end)? thx again
Oh, I forgot, what are the disadvantages? if there are any, compared to regular hdd.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Quote:

Woah.... I missed this completely!

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/15543/...011/index.html
Crap. I was hoping that I was the one who missed some updates. Anyway, like you said earlier, prices are still coming down nicely on SSDs now and should continue to do so as production ramps up.

Quote:
I'm not up to date with ssd, what's the advantage in buying them if for example you're a gamer? thx
If you install your game on the SSD, the game will install quicker and your levels will load faster. That's the main advantage. Though the performance you get while doing your everyday computing is worth a SSD in itself, even if you spend a lot of time gaming..

Quote:
Do you think it's worth more(performance wise) than buying a better cpu(from mid-low to mid-high range not high end)? thx again
Oh, I forgot, what are the disadvantages? if there are any, compared to regular hdd.
When I put my SSD in, it felt like a whole new system with the snappy responsiveness that I got while using the operating system. The only things that lag now are poorly coded apps (very few I've noticed) and browsing when network bandwidth is maxed, which a SSD cannot help with anyway. I just posted those two examples so that you know that a SSD cannot make everything faster, but it sure is a noticeable upgrade from a conventional hard drive.

As for a new CPU vs a SSD, it depends on what you have and what you do with your computer. The only time that I could see a mild CPU upgrade being better than an SSD upgrade is if you are primarily a heavy multitasker and were going from a dual to a quad core or similar scenario. Even then, the SSD would still get all of your apps up and running faster, but you could run into CPU (or even RAM) bottlenecks if all your apps were working hard.

You will experience some wow factor once you get a SSD, but after a couple of weeks you probably will not notice the system being more responsive unless you use a slower system to remind yourself how much better your OS performs.

So in all, I would recommend a SSD over a mild CPU upgrade as the SSD will benefit a lot more that you will notice. It will cut a lot of wait times and let you do more with your time.

For the bad things that SSDs can offer, I cannot really think of any show stoppers with any newer drives. If you get any Gen 2 or newer (vertex / X25-m G2 / ect. )SSDs then you will get TRIM support and you may need to do some reading to make sure that the firmware is up to date to get the best performance and reliability. It is true that reliability can be a valid argument given that SSDs in general are still in their infancy stage, but from what many have seen most have been tested and brutalized and hold up quite well. To be honest, if you buy one, you will probably end up upgrading to a new one long before it dies because of size and performance increases that will happen down the road. Even if you plan on keeping it for a long time, an average PC user can expect 5-10 years of reliability with normal usage if used primarily as an OS drive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts