Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Politically incorrect
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, Samsung LSI took the virtual stage to announce the new Exynos 2100 flagship SoC. The new chip is quite special for Samsung’s chip division as it marks a departure from past iteration designs – being the first SoC not using Samsung’s own in-house performance CPU microarchitecture, but instead relying on Arm’s Cortex cores such as the new X1.

It’s a big change for Samsung not just technologically, but also in terms of general tone and messaging – with a much more upbeat enthusiasm from the company and also the first ever actually presented launch event for a Samsung mobile SoC, more closely mimicking what we would see from Qualcomm.
Source

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Do any of these new mobile CPUs matter any more now that performance of all of them is good enough? I havent seen the slightest animation slowdowns or lagginess in any phone for years now.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,407 Posts
I have the snapdragon 845 in my phone and as much as I like the mod-ability of Android devices, I still find it slow more often than not and wish I had gone with an iphone. That and it's also getting slower and slower as time goes on. Not entirely certain if the slowdown is OS related or due to something else, but it is significant and perceptible even just using basic calling and texting apps. And this is from an $850 device when new...

But to be totally fair the audio on this LG G7 is superb. I can overlook the sluggishness with it being a star performer in the music department.

·
PC Evangelist
47,252 Posts
I have the snapdragon 845 in my phone and as much as I like the mod-ability of Android devices, I still find it slow more often than not and wish I had gone with an iphone. That and it's also getting slower and slower as time goes on. Not entirely certain if the slowdown is OS related or due to something else, but it is significant and perceptible even just using basic calling and texting apps. And this is from an $850 device when new...

But to be totally fair the audio on this LG G7 is superb. I can overlook the sluggishness with it being a star performer in the music department.
Lol, got to ask yourself how well LG is doing in that space.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,141 Posts
Curious if any previous ATi employee still works on the Adreno team. Going to be interesting seeing Adreno vs Radeon.

All comes down to software, I'm still rocking an Essential phone which has a SnapDragon 835. The stock ROM was sluggish but I switched to a CAF based ROM called Paranoid Android.

HTC used to be my go to since their software has always been well optimized. From what I recall Samsung phones have always had overly aggressive memory management which causes apps to reload when switching between them. Don't know if that's still a problem with these 8gb+ devices but it was the main reason I never touched Samsung.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,407 Posts
Lol, got to ask yourself how well LG is doing in that space.
Last I heard they hugely over produced the phones and sold so few of them that they had to sell en masse to liquidators. I scored my G7 for around $100 8 months or so after it was released, so am not complaining at all about the good deal. And I am thinking about turning on airplane mode and just using it as a high end .FLAC player once I upgrade to something better.

Just am left wondering why it's slowing down so significantly when my older Nexus 6P with the much older and less powerful hardware lasted me several years with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts