Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The Galaxy Nexus is so important again because it's the only time Google gets to dictate everything - the hardware, the software, and update timing. There's also the element of freedom, with unlockable hardware out of the box. I find myself wishing that Google had begun its adventure sticking it to the carriers with pentaband WCDMA support like this phone finally has, as that would've been much more successful than the practice of releasing a few different Nexus variants with different bands.

As far as Ice Cream Sandwich is concerned, it really is Android perfected. Everything is smoother, faster and nearly all of our issues with the OS have been addressed. ICS brings Android into 2012 and gives Google a great platform to begin to introduce new features going forward. Android is now very close to UI performance parity with iOS, which eliminates a major tradeoff you had to make in the past. If you were hoping for ICS to be iOS with a Google logo on it, you'll be sorely disappointed. However if you're a fan of Android and just wished it were smoother and more polished, Ice Cream Sandwich is what you've been waiting for.
Source

Most probably my next phone.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Too bad the camera is rather mediocre.

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule View Post

Not to mention the battery life, reception, plasticky build quality, and pentile screen... to name a few.

I'll wait for quad core ICS phones... preferably from HTC or Motorola.

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
Quote:

Lol @ cell phone cameras. The nexus camera is no different than any others, except it has the added benefit of ZERO shutter time in between shots. So if you chose to go rapid fire without focusing, the quality can suffer. That's what happens. It's a fair tradeoff, and yet delivers quality like every other device if you actually tap the screen to focus before the shot.

And no clue what the guy above me is spewing, because the device has a well documented 10 hours of screen time and one of the best screen dpi's on the market(at 720p!). Haters gonna hate.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bought this phone for Verizon on release day, it is awesome.
Quote:

Camera isn't bad. It's on par with other phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post

Not to mention the battery life, reception, plasticky build quality, and pentile screen... to name a few.
I'll wait for quad core ICS phones... preferably from HTC or Motorola.
Battery life isn't great but this is said to be a bug in ICS and should be fixed when the 4.0.3 update comes. You can still get a full day of normal use out of it. Reception is fine, the phone is just reporting bars wrong which is also supposed to be fixed in 4.0.3. Build quality is actually great. PenTile screen is a void argument, the screen is beautiful (there are tons of reviews that say this as well if you don't believe me). You would never guess it is a PenTile screen when you're using it. Plus it is 720p so it looks beautiful regardless. You can go HTC or Motorola but then you lose the stock experience, which is amazingly smooth and much more pleasing than Sense and Motoblur (I know Motoblur is technically gone but Motorola still customizes the interface).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeras View Post

Lol @ cell phone cameras. The nexus camera is no different than any others, except it has the added benefit of ZERO shutter time in between shots. So if you chose to go rapid fire without focusing, the quality can suffer. That's what happens. It's a fair tradeoff, and yet delivers quality like every other device if you actually tap the screen to focus before the shot.
And no clue what the guy above me is spewing, because the device has a well documented 10 hours of screen time and one of the best screen dpi's on the market. Haters gonna hate.
Basically, this guy is right.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I kinda feel as though Samsung cheaped out on all of those negative things mentioned above because they know it'll still sell
due to it being the only ICS phone

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3 original View Post

I kinda feel as though Samsung cheaped out on all of those negative things mentioned above because they know it'll still sell
due to it being the only ICS phone
Take whiners with a grain of salt. Especially when they complain about battery life, yet are waiting for a quad core ICS phone with Motoblur/Sense running in the background 24/7.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChvyVele View Post

Bought this phone for Verizon on release day, it is awesome.
Camera isn't bad. It's on par with other phones.
Battery life isn't great but this is said to be a bug in ICS and should be fixed when the 4.0.3 update comes. You can still get a full day of normal use out of it. Reception is fine, the phone is just reporting bars wrong which is also supposed to be fixed in 4.0.3. Build quality is actually great. PenTile screen is a void argument, the screen is beautiful (there are tons of reviews that say this as well if you don't believe me). You would never guess it is a PenTile screen when you're using it. Plus it is 720p so it looks beautiful regardless. You can go HTC or Motorola but then you lose the stock experience, which is amazingly smooth and much more pleasing than Sense and Motoblur (I know Motoblur is technically gone but Motorola still customizes the interface).
Basically, this guy is right.
i don't see how pentile screen is a void argument, if people don't like it, its a perfectly valid reason for them to not get it.

- "You would never guess it is a PenTile screen when you're using it."

same goes for someone sticking their junk in your soup, you'll prob nver guess it when you're drinking it : )

But yeah not trying to offend you or anything. I can't (I'ved used it before) tell the difference and i didnt even know it was a pentile screen untill i researched it online. It looks
really good imo due to its high ppi.

but i really do think the main selling point is the software because SII hardware is quite a bit better than the nexus according to many benchmarks and reviews online.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeras View Post

Take whiners with a grain of salt. Especially when they complain about battery life, yet are waiting for a quad core ICS phone with Motoblur/Sense running in the background 24/7.
thumb.gif
I dun understand why people complain about battery life on a smartphone with a giant screen and 4g. Its kinda expected as every other phone like this has the issue too...

also my main point was that the nexus hardware is not on par with theb sII (with the exception of the resolution as the display on the s2 is better than the pentile)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ive had this phone for about 2 months now. Everything works as intended. They did mess up the performance a bit with 4.0.2 but i hear they are pushing out 4.0.3 soonish so i wont complain
tongue.gif

·
Enthusiast Gamer
3,829 Posts
I am waiting for the Samsung Galaxy SIII which will clearly be a superior phone if the rumors are true.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
My coworker has one and he says it's the best android based phone he's had since the original droid. He's already installed a custom ROM on it to boot.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I have had my Nexus since Dec 26th. I've enjoyed it immensely. I am below the average user as far as the time I spend actually using it for data. I'm typically connected to WiFi when I am using the phone. I've used the GPS for a short trip and made a few phone calls with no issue at all. The only time I had to rush and plug into my charger was after a 2.5 hour gaming session of Drag Race.
biggrin.gif
I've been very impressed with this phone. It will definitely serve me well for the next 2 years. I'm going to give it a good test of GPS capability and battery life next week when I do some traveling for work.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I stopped using Samsung phones for the following reasons: Battery-Life, cheapness, POOR GPS!, starting to look like iphones,

·
Your Worst Nightmare
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post

Some of the guys on the first page must have monstrous reading speed.
Lol, I'll admit..I didn't read it since I saw it at unveiled and I love my S2 too much. But on the topic of ICS..my S2 just got some CM9 goodness put on it. LOVIN IT!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Question... what are any of us doing on phone that make us want to say.."Yeah I have a Custom ROM blah", or "I over clocked my phone man" .... I wanna know what I am missing out on cause my laptop is killing any cell phone for the next 10 years ... I just don't understand why it is so important phone cell phones t be fast or for people to want them to be faster or completely different. Someone tell me what I am missing out on or is this just a hobby?

·
Your Worst Nightmare
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankzro View Post

Question... what are any of us doing on phone that make us want to say.."Yeah I have a Custom ROM blah", or "I over clocked my phone man" .... I wanna know what I am missing out on cause my laptop is killing any cell phone for the next 10 years ... I just don't understand why it is so important phone cell phones t be fast or for people to want them to be faster or completely different. Someone tell me what I am missing out on or is this just a hobby?
Overclocking a cell phone really is not practical in most real life uses..some just love to overclock and do a benchmark and go "haha my phone is faster than yours!" but apart from that..no..sucks battery and runs hotter..Now custom ROMs...for those of us like me who like to customize things..installing a custom ROM is awesome..we can do whatever we want to the look..disable dumb programs that just slow the phone down..and just overall..make it fast, slim, and sexy..did I go too far?

• Rep+
Reactions: Frankzro

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just got mine earlier this month and I love it. Huge upgrade from my OG Incredible. I was a bit worried at first about the plasticy build, but this phone feels really solid in my hands and the back has a nice upscale-feeling texture. Stock battery life was decent at first but then it got better after a few days; I rooted it and installed RootzBoat ROM with a custom kernel on it and now I can easily go over two days with moderate use along with a dramatic performance boost.

The DPI is almost on-par with the iPhone's retina screen while being 720p and it is one of the most amazing screens I've ever seen. I have no idea what the fuss is about the pentile matrix screen, because you'd need a magnifying glass to notice that. I also have not had any reception issues, rock-solid 4G wherever I go.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:

the camera can take pictures in sucession faster than i can jab my thumb at the screen.

and it can take pictures WHILE recording video.

and its 5MP. its no SLR. what are you expecting, exactly?

i own this phone, rooted, rom'd and undervolted. it is a sexy beast, better than my droid X, better than any phone that ive ever owned. and the 720p 4.65 inch screen is....mesmerizing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts