Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The new Xeon “Westmere†5600 series, has arrived. Basically an improved 32nm version of the impressive Xeon 5500 series “Nehalem†CPU. The new Xeon won’t make a big splash like the Xeon 5500 series did back in March 2009. But who cares? Each core in the Xeon 5600 is a bit faster than the already excellent performing older brother, and you get an extra bonus. You choose: in the same power envelope you get two extra cores or 5-10% higher clockspeed. Or if you keep the number of cores and clockspeed constant, you can get lower power consumption. The most thrifty quadcore Xeon is now specced at a 40W TDP instead of 60W.

Source

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
that looks like a killer chip. how much is it?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
An ARM and a LEG

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
ech.

hopefully they can bring this kind of scalability and performance to the mainstream consumer market. that would be epic

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^
View Post

I think the top of the line x5680 is not too far from $1700.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags
View Post

I think it was like $1,400 +/- a few

I paid that for my MR2 1991 lol

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonCz
View Post

I think the top of the line x5680 is not too far from $1700.

Yeah, pretty much. Think 980x, and then say, MOOARRR. The cheapest hex xeon (which I think was the 50, or 20?) is still 1k, and there's 5 of them.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
So is this is the cheapest 6 core dual processor capable chip? Thinking in terms of uber awesomeness with the new EVGA dual proc Classified mobo.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsMarkelson
View Post

So is this is the cheapest 6 core dual processor capable chip? Thinking in terms of uber awesomeness with the new EVGA dual proc Classified mobo.

No, the 5638, 5640, 5645, 5650 have dual QPIs and their price is right at $1000. Their stock clocks range from 2-3Ghz.

WIKIPEDIA LINK

Scroll down to "Xeon DP, Six Core"

• Rep+
Reactions: LarsMarkelson

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsMarkelson
View Post

Perhaps this post would help:
http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...on-prices.html

The hex cores are all priced 1k and up.
Two quads on that board would still be a killer folding machine... but when you think about it, to get those dual hex on there, it would only cost 1k more than dual quads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts