Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DirectX Raytracing then is Microsoft laying the groundwork to make this practical by creating an API for ray tracing that works with the company’s existing rasterization APIs. Technically speaking GPUs are already generic enough that today developers could implement a form of ray tracing just through shaders, however doing so would miss out on the opportunity to tap into specialized GPU hardware units to help with the task, not to mention the entire process being non-standard. So both to expose new hardware capabilities and abstract some of the optimization work around this process to GPU vendors, instead this functionality is being implemented through new API commands for DirectX 12.

But like Microsoft’s other DirectX APIs it’s important to note that the company isn’t defining how the hardware should work, only that the hardware needs to support certain features. Past that, it’s up to the individual hardware vendors to create their own backends for executing DXR commands. As a result – and especially as this is so early – everyone from Microsoft to hardware vendors are being intentionally vague about how hardware acceleration is going to work.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12547/expanding-directx-12-microsoft-announces-directx-raytracing

AMD Announcement: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1255...cing-for-prorender-and-radeon-gpu-profiler-12

NVIDIA Announcement: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1254...tracing-acceleration-for-volta-gpus-and-later

Not sure how this is going to pan out. Raytracing has traditionally been slow as hell. This maybe a repeat of tessellation.

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Well both companies have been working on raytracing for awhile now. Nvidia had it as part of their gameworks (there was a game with "controversial" active ray tracing, I just don't remember the name).
Being part of DX12, might mean increase performance and hopefully both of them will make it part of the hardware. Performance is growing so I expect new technologies to start becoming more common.
Being a repeat of tessellation, well depends on how they implement it. AMD reduced tessellation power for async compute. Nvidia relay more on horsepower. So each might implement it differently. With being part of DX12 API and drivers, AMD (or nvidia) might have better control of it than just giving full control to the developer, so they might have better handling on performance through drivers.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
looks like Nvidia already working on Volta support, i wonder if other uarch would get left out.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Reading between the lines, it seems like Nvidia is making a gameworks version of ray tracing support while AMD is opting to utilize DX12 features.

Anyway, this video is also part of the announcement:

Edit: Added UE4 demo video and others

More on UE4:

Futuremark:

Metro:

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Interesting.
For those like me that didn't know what ray tracing is :
In computer graphics, ray tracing is a rendering technique for generating an image by tracing the path of light as pixels in an image plane and simulating the effects of its encounters with virtual objects. The technique is capable of producing a very high degree of visual realism, usually higher than that of typical scanline rendering methods, but at a greater computational cost.
Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_tracing_(graphics)

From what i understand, this is probably one of the key features that is required to take Graphics to the next level.

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Reading between the lines, it seems like Nvidia is making a gameworks version of ray tracing support while AMD is opting to utilize DX12 features.

Anyway, this video is also part of the announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70W2aFr5-Xk
According to nvidia announcement, their RTX is built around DXR.

RTX is another layer above it, "simplifying" DXR to developers. So instead of directly calling DXR API and handling it themselves, they can call RTX methods.
Most likely it means that calling RTX on AMD will still work. Might not be as optimised.

We don't need more GameWorks black box garbage. Hopefully the DX12/Vulkan implementation catches on.
AMD are doing the same thing by using their ProRender as their API to cover the DXR.

Why is the first instinct to bash gameworks but completely ignore that AMD are doing the exact same thing? Is it like some sort of a PTSD shared in OCN?

Both nvidia and AMD will support DXR. Both will have an API layer over it. ProRender or RTX.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
The tone of AMD’s announcement makes me think that they will have very limited hardware acceleration relative to NVIDIA, but we’ll have to wait and see just what AMD unveils once their drivers are available.
This doesnt mean it would be a last moment update for Directx 12 from Nvidia since they dont list Intel's IGP Compatibility and that AMD doesnt have a working driver for this?

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,577 Posts
According to nvidia announcement, their RTX is built around DXR.

RTX is another layer above it, "simplifying" DXR to developers. So instead of directly calling DXR API and handling it themselves, they can call RTX methods.
Most likely it means that calling RTX on AMD will still work. Might not be as optimised.

AMD are doing the same thing by using their ProRender as their API to cover the DXR.

Why is the first instinct to bash gameworks but completely ignore that AMD are doing the exact same thing? Is it like some sort of a PTSD shared in OCN?

Both nvidia and AMD will support DXR. Both will have an API layer over it. ProRender or RTX.
ProRender has been opensource for 9 months;

https://gpuopen.com/open-source-radeon-prorender/
https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/RadeonProRender-Baikal

Gameworks with extremely few exceptions is still black-box. Keep beating that drum friend, I'm sure one day an army will answer the call.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
So in laymens....better real time shadows and reflections?
Also stuff like sub-surface scattering and the like as well i believe

As a guess, on Nvidias side at least, they might be utilizing ray-tracing with their tensor cores somehow (Volta and up GPU's only). If so, then this might be a great way to differentiate Gaming and Mining GPU's. Makes sense to me (correct me if I'm wrong though, this is just an uneducated guess) in that the double precision would be a nice thing to have on multiple bounces of simulated light.

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts
That looks like glasses on/glasses off w/ hint of tan...I prefer the left.
Maybe because it's shinier ? Point is, left is less realistic. No-one's skin reflects light like ceramic !

·
PC Evangelist
46,969 Posts
DX12? Is Nvidia finally going to support DX12 and I can through my 1080 Ti at the wall?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I just got a ravenridge apu. i wonder if in the future, this can be offloaded to the iGPU when i have a dGPU in? we need more igpu offload in games imo.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts