Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Politically incorrect
9,214 Posts
Will Intel get that 1.4nm process out first, or will the James Webb telescope get launched first??
After Half Life 3 has been released and we have warp capability, whichever comes first (my bet is on the warp drive). But worry not, Intel will rename earlier nodes as 1.4nm and beyond.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,289 Posts
What i am more concerned about is the policy to restrict other countries using Intel/AMD products. Right now, its ok but its only matter of time till China/Russia can successfully design there own chips that match Intel/AMD and those nations choice to develop there own standard will have world wide effect. It's not hard for them to steal/get the tech considering TSMC is based out of Taiwan. I put this similar to what we are seeing with Alipay/WechatPay/UnionPay Card. More and more shops online and even retail based in North America are accepting them. The adoption rate outside of China may be slower but its still growing. I myself refuse to use Alipay/UnionPay/WechatPay but one day I will have no choice but to join them.

Even Aliexpress was in the process of setting up north american office so they really have targets on the Amazon/Ebay market. They have everything you can imagine at cheap rates often more selection than even amazon. I see some of my friends and most of my colleagues always order stuff in from there but they are from China so they are all used to that setup and convenience.
AMD slipped through the restrictions: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/china-zen-x86-processor-dryhana,37417.html No stealing/copying necessary. Just supposed to be sold only in China, but resale doesn't follow many rules.
My Amazfit bip watch has Alipay, I'm not going to set that up.
I do like Aliexpress for their different selection. It takes about a month for my orders to get to me in the US though, and that is a huge downside for a lot of items. But sometimes what you didn't know anybody made isn't available anywhere else.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,289 Posts
After Half Life 3 has been released and we have warp capability, whichever comes first (my bet is on the warp drive). But worry not, Intel will rename earlier nodes as 1.4nm and beyond.
Those 1.4nm will go great in the new credit card form factor phones. :p

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
credit card? most definitely sub dermal by then. Omnitool will eventually be a thing.

·
600T Stormtrooper
152 Posts
Ah yes the kindness of the company that kept us on $350 4c/8t chips for a decade
No kidding. I'm currently using two of those CPUs, at least until my 3950X stops getting delayed and finally arrives (maybe by mid-2020 when Ryzen 4000 is released)... Haha!

But wait, according Intel's road map of make believe, they're eventually going to Infinity+1 nm by 2029. I think I'll skip that and wait until Intel's die shrink gets just a little bit smaller and becomes energy efficient by using solar power.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
solar? it'll run off the body warmth, cuz sub dermal.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,172 Posts
Some of the comments here lead me to believe that some people think AMD created the Zen lineup because they decided that bringing higher core count processors to the masses was the right thing to do, as opposed to them deciding that it was the best way to convince the masses to give them their money instead of giving it to Intel.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
What's the maximum information density of the universe?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I'm glad my scepticism of the roadmap is shared by everyone.

If it were true then silicon processing as a business would be on the verge of collapse... but then again maybe we are already closer to that reality than people are comfortable admitting.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Some Intel chipsets are known to be built by TSMC. Apple has been using TSMC for years. Nvidia used them and now uses Samsung (NoKo workers used to be able to work for Samsung). Qualcomm uses TSMC. Russia and China have designed their own processors. The catch being they've relied on foreign fabricators like TSMC, GloFlo and XFSF to manufacture them.

Anyway, the OP's article is grand but at this point it's Intel's marketing department's PR spin. People like RS can keep screaming all they want. They're done for the next 2-3 years.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,955 Posts
solar? it'll run off the body warmth, cuz sub dermal.
That sounds like an interesting idea. Why not power components off the heat of the cpu. Idle temps should be enough to power some stuff. :p

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
I'm glad my scepticism of the roadmap is shared by everyone.

If it were true then silicon processing as a business would be on the verge of collapse... but then again maybe we are already closer to that reality than people are comfortable admitting.
i mean, isn't that what we've been warned of forever? increased difficulty as things get smaller and smaller

density of the universe - 1.4nm

That sounds like an interesting idea. Why not power components off the heat of the cpu. Idle temps should be enough to power some stuff. :p
#AskElon

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Its look like Intel will be dead for next 5 years to come.

I hope it extend to 8 years, they deserve to reap at least 8 years of karma for what they done to us in past 8 years.

In fact Intel totally forgot they have CPU department just 3 years ago lol.

·
Zen
1,107 Posts

I hope it extend to 8 years, they deserve to reap at least 8 years of karma for what they done to us in past 8 years.

Well, as much as I wish for AMD doing well in CPU business, Intel being down that long will mean TSMC and Samsung will be only games in town for highest end fabs, while US being completely out of high end fabrication processes. I kinda don't want to see that happening lol.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well, as much as I wish for AMD doing well in CPU business, Intel being down that long will mean TSMC and Samsung will be only games in town for highest end fabs, while US being completely out of high end fabrication processes. I kinda don't want to see that happening lol.
The US has a number of fabs attached to American owned businesses. They aren't high end, but they make various goods for a number of fields. Intel could always fabricate for other companies not requiring bleeding edge complexity.

About 20 years if you want what they did to AMD in the early 2000s and paid a pittance for.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,289 Posts

What did Intel do to us?

If you are complaining about the lack of cpu use advancement in games, that was Jaguar. Intel sold mainstream users everything they needed and more with little price inflation, and if you felt compelled to upgrade for not a lot of performance increase, that wasn't on Intel. If AMD made a gpu in 2013 that could still max out games in 1440p and up you would call that the best wine ever. Intel does it with a cpu and they are some dastardly villains.

Are you holding a grudge against them because they failed to make 10nm work? If they could and were just sandbagging, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be letting AMD walk all over them in benches. But they are. They could have tossed in double the cores, but the clocks would have suffered and the 4c8t based games wouldn't have done as well. Maybe 6 years later they would start to do better, but that has been 6 good years.

Maybe you should be done with Radeon gpus, power supplies, case, case fan manufacturers...etc because of the same reasons. Cripes, that ugly old beige case still holds a pc. Those wires are still made of copper, fans are practically the same, they've been robbing us.

Buy a Ryzen, they're in stores. If it makes you feel better you could probably take your old pc out to a shooting range when no one else is there and let it have it. Then throw it off your roof and eventually toss it in the fire and lean back with a tasty beverage. Just stay upwind. Not worth holding a grudge that the universe needs to repay suffering with suffering the next 8 years over.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
we should see a slight bump in cpu usage again, starting when "next gen" titles start dropping. up to whatever ends up being inside xb2/ps5... too bad amd's epic console performance doesn't translate to PC at all though.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
we should see a slight bump in cpu usage again, starting when "next gen" titles start dropping. up to whatever ends up being inside xb2/ps5... too bad amd's epic console performance doesn't translate to PC at all though.
The jaguar core were too much of a joke and a departure from bulldozer and zen. Intel's IPC was simply so much better that games tailored to jaguar, could simply run great on Intel from brute force alone - ie. 4 cores and clock speed compared to Jaguar.

With the new consoles sharing the same CPU architecture as AMD's desktop lineup, I would hope we see a good translation in the future.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
we can only hope, as that's likely who'll be driving my 2021 rebuild.

hope you're enjoying this cool weather as much as we are :D some of the best weather in the country right now.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts