Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
waifu for lifu
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BARCELONA, ESP – Today Samsung is announcing the Galaxy S9 and S9+. Both devices bring iterative designs over the Galaxy S8 – which is not a bad thing. The camera sees significant upgrades with both a new innovative camera sensor as well as an industry first-adjustable lens that can switch between f/1.5 and f/2.4 apertures. Having the same screen and battery capacities as the S8 might seem like a step sideways, but the one thing where the S9 improves on is with the internals. While the Snapdragon 845 SoC is a conservative generational update, the Exynos 9810 looks to shake up the market with, until now, a unexpected generational jump.

source
update: Galaxy S9 Exynos 9810 Hands-On - Awkward First Results

Attachments

·
waifu for lifu
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it be at all possible to get the exynos version in the U.S.?
Samsung Exynos 9810 (Europe & Rest of World)
4x Exynos M3 @ 1c 2.704GHz, 2c 2.314GHz, 3-4c 1.794GHz
4x Cortex-A55 @ 1.95GHz
ARM Mali-G72MP18 @ 572MHz
Oddly enough, I'm usually not a phone phanatic, but for whatever reason...I want a better phone. This phone debuted just in time for me. I like the new camera on the S9+.

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Oddly enough, I'm usually not a phone phanatic, but for whatever reason...I want a better phone. This phone debuted just in time for me. I like the new camera on the S9+.
I have a feeling it is because of patents/licensing.
If qualcomm has a certain patent in the US, either samsung can't sell their chip there, or their license for something in the chip prevents them to do so as part of their agreement with qualcomm. It might not apply to europe/rest of the world because outside of the US qualcomm doesn't have a legal block on it.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Will it be at all possible to get the exynos version in the U.S.?

Normally "no". Reason being the Snapdragon processors are easy to qualify in the US and Exynos has to go through a ton of hoops. So Samsung has almost always chosen to have the US version be Snapdragon processors and international uses Exynos. That doesnt stop someone from buying an international unlocked version and shipping it to the US though. You have to pay full price for it and cant get carrier subsidies this way though which is how most people in the US buy phones.

·
PC Evangelist
46,965 Posts
I am interested how 845 vs 9810 compare. In general, Exynos has been better apart from graphics. I will probably end up getting this phone because I skipped S8 due to the camera and this is exactly what I was waiting for.

·
WaterCooler
3,819 Posts
As someone who just *had to* upgrade from a Note 3 to the Note8....

...I can not like this post enough.

Phones suck.
Yeah they do.

My Motorola Droid Turbo 2 is absolutely crapping out on me. I am not looking forward to the prospect of a new phone soon. Sadly that means this is on my radar.

·
Needs more voltage
503 Posts
Still mandatory "Edge" screens huh? Guess that's just Samsung's thing now. Between that and all the other silly decisions they've made the last couple generations, I'll likely look elsewhere when I get ready to replace my S8. Also, I feel like smartphones have reached critical mass, in that if you buy a flagship phone like this, the next generation is going to be wholly unimpressive because your current phone is still functioning without issue, assuming you took care of it of course.

What I really want is a smart phone that's built tough enough to not shatter if you sneeze on it, and screw being thin give me a bigger battery that lasts more than a single day. I swear if I could have my Droid X back but with the processing power and memory of a modern device I would take it in a heartbeat.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Samsung has just been killing it with their phones over the past couple years (minus the Note 7 fiasco naturally)! I know there were some discrepancies with the linked Anand article but I am sure that will be cleared up once the actual phones release and more time is available for full-scale testing, but honestly the synthetic scores of smart phones don't interest me that much since even my old Note 5 is still plenty snappy enough for me to use daily. What's much more interesting to me is design, features, and build quality/materials. This new S9/Plus may only be an incremental improvement over the S8/Plus in those three categories, but the S8/Plus was already one of the best smart phones available so any improvement over that phone is impressive.

I'm particularly impressed with the camera of this new S9 (especially the dual camera of the Plus). Having a multiple aperature lens is unheard of in phone cameras (so far as I know) and should greatly improve the performance of this camera. I also like the design, which isn't a radical departure from the S8, but is nipped and tucked to great effect. The Infinity Display looks fantastic and the bezels up top and on the bottom have shrunken nicely (still negligible bezels on the sides). I certainly like the rounded look of this phone more than the squarish design of my Note 8.

Lastly, I do wish Samsung had been more generous with color options when they released the Note 8. I was forced to get the black version because the non-reflective blue and gray were just not that attractive to my eyes. The S9 apparently offers my favorite Galaxy color, Coral Blue, along with a new Lilac that looks great as well. I still have my Coral Blue Note 7 and was hoping I would be able to get it on the new Note 8 but no dice. Come on Samsung, offer more colors on your flagship phone!

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
Meh. Nothing particularly interesting here other than the VERY questionable camera aperture.

Here's hoping LG decides to reverse their decision to nix removable batteries with the V30 and the V40 brings them back, not that I've yet seen any actual reason to replace my V20, but still.

If not, I guess the "big name" phone makers are officially dead to me.

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,577 Posts
An obscenely priced shovel with lots of bloat and efuse which screws your warranty if you dare to unlock bootloader to flash a clean rom. I'm starting to appreciate OnePlus a lot more despite their huge shortcomings.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Meh. Nothing particularly interesting here other than the VERY questionable camera aperture.

Here's hoping LG decides to reverse their decision to nix removable batteries with the V30 and the V40 brings them back, not that I've yet seen any actual reason to replace my V20, but still.

If not, I guess the "big name" phone makers are officially dead to me.
Really??? I mean, are non-removable batteries really that big of a deal for you that you can so cavalierly dismiss literally EVERY other feature or advancement offered by these outstanding phones just due to its excusion? I personally hate phones with removable batteries for a variety of reasons and am overjoyed that they are no longer a problem with most high end phones. I have literally no use for a removable battery and have no interest whatsoever in dealing with the myriad of design concessions necessary in order to facilitate accommodating one.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
An obscenely priced shovel with lots of bloat and efuse which screws your warranty if you dare to unlock bootloader to flash a clean rom. I'm starting to appreciate OnePlus a lot more despite their huge shortcomings.
What bloat are you referring to? My Note 8 has very little bloat, other than the carrier-installed stuff that Samsung has no control over anyway. The apps Samsung installs on their phones are features that I have found to be quite useful for the most part (Samsung Pay, Health, and Note are all very nice features IMO). I could do without Connect and Gear but their inclusion is not exactly a deal-breaker for me. I also use Nova Launcher which provides all the customization options I could possibly want so no need to flash any ROM's on my device in the first place.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
What bloat are you referring to? My Note 8 has very little bloat, other than the carrier-installed stuff that Samsung has no control over anyway. The apps Samsung installs on their phones are features that I have found to be quite useful for the most part (Samsung Pay, Health, and Note are all very nice features IMO). I could do without Connect and Gear but their inclusion is not exactly a deal-breaker for me. I also use Nova Launcher which provides all the customization options I could possibly want so no need to flash any ROM's on my device in the first place.
What you find useful is not a universally shared opinion. If it were up to me, all phones would come bare google android. If there's an app worth downloading, I can do just that. I'm not an utter incompetent that needs everything preinstalled in case I might need it at some point and don't know how to search the play store. I certainly don't need that garbage locked in at the ROM level. I suppose you're the type who not only defends MS's inclusion of candy crush in fresh W10 installs, but even wishes they would go a step further and make it impossible to uninstall?

Really??? I mean, are non-removable batteries really that big of a deal for you that you can so cavalierly dismiss literally EVERY other feature or advancement offered by these outstanding phones just due to its excusion? I personally hate phones with removable batteries for a variety of reasons and am overjoyed that they are no longer a problem with most high end phones. I have literally no use for a removable battery and have no interest whatsoever in dealing with the myriad of design concessions necessary in order to facilitate accommodating one.
Yes, it absolutely is that big of a deal for me. A removable battery is the single most important factor in a phone, and I will not buy any phone without one. There is nothing that I can't do with a removable battery, but there are plenty of things I can't do without one. I'm not missing any "major advancements" by retaining my ability to field service my several hundred dollar handheld personal computer.

Exactly what concession would you be forced to make with a removable battery? It isn't waterproofing. It isn't metal backs. It isn't battery capacity. It isn't cooling. It isn't hardware specs. It isn't NFC or Qi. It isn't ruggedness. Every single one of those things can and has been done with removable batteries.

AFAIK, the only thing a removable battery actually hinders is the ability to make the body of your phone out of glass, and even then it could be done, it would just be even more fragile than usual. Personally, I can't see any reason glass was ever considered a good material for a phone body to begin with, and I'd be happy to see that decision never repeated.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,940 Posts
When will they make phones for men?
When they can charge 300 more for it.
There have been several well designed highly functional phones that didn't rely entirely upon shiny glittery effete aesthetics and overhyped selfie shooters.

Unfortunately very few have seen financial success, because it is the mindless hoards looking for their next fashion accessory that control the market. As such, companies more often then not abandon these designs in favor of safe (or girly as you would call them) designs fairly quickly.

Other companies, tech journalists, and even just the general public to an extent see this rapid abandonment of a "new" and financially unsuccessful design and that just further amplifies the perception that the design itself was flawed, rather than the marketing.

Because of all this it really should suprise no one that Samsung galaxies, iphones, and other devices that mimick the same aesthetics dominate the market.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts