Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

ihave an and fx53 and I was thinking about building a crossfire system using two hd3850 gpus. Can the fx53 handle this?

If so what is a good mobo to use?

What ram do you recommend? Currently I have 2 1gig kingston cheapies.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Frog

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Welcome to OCN forums!

fx-53 will bottleneck one 3850 let alone 2. You need to upgrade that CPU. Also try posting your computer specs like mine below. Do this by:

1. Going to User CP at the top of the page
2. Scroll down and click Add system
3. Fill in to the best of your ability

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6
View Post

fx-53 will bottleneck one 3850 let alone 2. You need to upgrade that CPU

Nvm I'm dumb.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandh
View Post

lol I remember when FX chips used to be godlike. I miss those days.

Yup, back when I was a broke dreamer, I'd go on Alienware, and knew that the FX was the BEST option you could get at the time.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
I thought they had a dual core fx, that what I was thinking about @ the time but I think that might have been the 56 or 60 or something I don't remember.

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
If his FX57 is dual core, it won't bottleneck it much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6
View Post

Welcome to OCN forums!

fx-53 will bottleneck one 3850 let alone 2. You need to upgrade that CPU. Also try posting your computer specs like mine below. Do this by:

1. Going to User CP at the top of the page
2. Scroll down and click Add system
3. Fill in to the best of your ability

I kind of figured I was at the limits of my fx53. It still plays games good. I just got codmw2 and it plays good at 1024 and 2x AA.

I just have the upgrade bug again and want to build another system.

What do you reccomend for a good gaming rig nowadays?

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KusH
View Post

I thought they had a dual core fx, that what I was thinking about @ the time but I think that might have been the 56 or 60 or something I don't remember.

FX-60 and FX-62 were dual core, the FX-57 was the last single core.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
I dont know if the OP has a AM2 or an AM2+ board. Either way, he could still buy a new AM2+ chip like the 940, it would still be compatible with an AM2 board although ,

"the operation of AM2+ processors on AM2 motherboards will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (1 GHz HyperTransport 2.0, and one power plane for both cores and the IMC). AM2 processors do not benefit from the faster HyperTransport 3.0 and separate power planes on AM2+ motherboards." -Wikipedia

I suggest if the OP has a AM2 board to upgrade both the CPU and the Board. OP what is your budget?

·
Premium Member
8,408 Posts
If you already had the mobo, then I would have said go for it. But from your OP it seems that you don't, so unless you can get a really cheap mobo (>$50 or so) I would recommend investing on a nice up-to-date machine.

·
Banned
4,012 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 View Post
FX-60 and FX-62 were dual core, the FX-57 was the last single core.
no the FX-59 was but only saw limited release to hardware review sites because AMD decided not to sell it. It was a 3ghz stock single core proc

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sold my fx53 rig to a friend and am about to buid this:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and new to OC. I'm going to be building an AMD 965 be / crosshair iii formula gaming rig in a few days. I've overclocked my FX53 rig but this crosshair has a ton of settings and I'd love some advice or links to read up about OCing my combo on air. I'll be using...

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W
ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3
OCZ Gold AMD Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT 120mm
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2
SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Thermaltake Armor+MX VH8000BWS

I'd like to OC my setup 5-10% or find the "sweet spot".
I'd like to learn more about OC the cpu.
I'd like to learn more about tuning my ram too.
I'd like to learn more about the northbridge and southbridge and best settings.

I plan on keeping everything stock until I read up and learn. So, thank you so much in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

The last machine I built was my current gaming rig AMD FX53 running an Asus A8ne deluxe. Times have changed!

Eventually I'd like to add a 2nd 5850 and run in crossfire. Thank you in advance for any advice

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogeye View Post

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and new to OC. I'm going to be building an AMD 965 be / crosshair iii formula gaming rig in a few days. I've overclocked my FX53 rig but this crosshair has a ton of settings and I'd love some advice or links to read up about OCing my combo on air. I'll be using...

ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT 120mm

I plan on keeping everything stock until I read up and learn. So, thank you so much in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

The last machine I built was my current gaming rig AMD FX53 running an Asus A8ne deluxe. Times have changed!

Eventually I'd like to add a 2nd 5850 and run in crossfire. Thank you in advance for any advice
I would change your CPU cooler. To maybe an xigmatek Dark Knight, or something of the like, maybe a corsair H50?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogeye View Post

ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT 120mm

looks like its going too be a beast of a system, you should take a gander into this thread here it has a bunch of useful links for all the things you seek
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/49...oc-thread.html

·

13,020 Posts
The Zalman does ok cooling, but just ok. It will ramp up to 2800 rpm's and be very loud.

I also agree to change up your cooler, maybe a T.R.U.E. in a push pull configuration?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate the quick replies! I bought all my stuff from the egg. So i already own the zalman. Once I get it running I'll report some idle/load temps. I'll check out that link too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts