Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an Archos 104 mp3 player. i was getting tired of my black and blue screen 1gb sandisk player. but when i did my order, at some point they suggest you some options... and there was this one.

i can't believe people will actually go for it, and cough up 180$ (canadian)

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
P.T. Barnum once said: There's a sucker born every minute. Not a lot's changed since he was on this planet.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
I wish someone would pay me $180 to show them how to rip CD's.

Step 1: Put the disc in
Step 2: Click rip

Wow, you're done.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
maybe not 10 seconds. You know there are those people who would not get it, and make you do it step by step until they understood it, and then they would have to actually do it themselves. But still I will sit there for 10-20 mins to show someone how to do that, for $60 or more. Hmmmm, maybe some of us can start a business.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i should start charging my mom when i show her stuff on her computer. i'd be rich by now... but then again, this is my mother

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hermit

i just bought an Archos 104 mp3 player. i was getting tired of my black and blue screen 1gb sandisk player. but when i did my order, at some point they suggest you some options... and there was this one.

i can't believe people will actually go for it, and cough up 180$ (canadian)

I guess for us (people who know modern technology) it's difficult to comprehend how such a basic process could be not known by somebody who already has a computer, or how it could be difficult for somebody to learn such a simple undertaking as digital media management. However, even in a world where computers are seemingly ubiquitous, there are still many people who don't know any more about them, then how to turn them on and run IE and Outlook Express.

It is an absurd amount of money to ask to teach somebody how to rip music and use WMP though... Still, some people buy things because they're expensive, or assume there is some justifiable reason for the expensive, like the service provides some kind of esoteric edification, rather than something almost any 16 year old could show you in less than 10 minutes...

Highly-Annoyed

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hermit

i should start charging my mom when i show her stuff on her computer. i'd be rich by now... but then again, this is my mother

HAHAHAHA, That would be great. I could do that with all my friends. Since I am the like the only one who really knows stuff about computers in my groups of friends, and same with family. I hate showing people how to do something though on the computer, when they don't understand anything on there at all, or don't understand what I am showing them. Have had this happen a few times. I feel like i waste or have lost 10 mins. or however long it takes to help, of my life. Be like I will help you for a fee. And then do an evil laugh, and slowly walk away, while still laughing.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Highly-Annoyed

I guess for us (people who know modern technology) it's difficult to comprehend how such a basic process could be not known by somebody who already has a computer, or how it could be difficult for somebody to learn such a simple undertaking as digital media management. However, even in a world where computers are seemingly ubiquitous, there are still many people who don't know any more about them, then how to turn them on and run IE and Outlook Express.

It is an absurd amount of money to ask to teach somebody how to rip music and use WMP though... Still, some people buy things because they're expensive, or assume there is some justifiable reason for the expensive, like the service provides some kind of esoteric edification, rather than something almost any 16 year old could show you in less than 10 minutes...

Highly-Annoyed

Exactly. When my grandma got her first computer a few months ago (gateway laptop), I had to actually teach her how to use a mouse, how to open and close windows, start up a program, access her email... all these things we take for granted were completely new to her.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac
Exactly. When my grandma got her first computer a few months ago (gateway laptop), I had to actually teach her how to use a mouse, how to open and close windows, start up a program, access her email... all these things we take for granted were completely new to her.
i understand that. but everybody know somebody who knows a little about computer. it's just the amount of money they're asking that i find a little bit insane

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
the college I go to has classes like that. Like intro to computers, teaches what things are. and everything and how to do stuff. Mainly older people taking it.
Most of us on this forum take things we do and for granted, the main thing we take for granted is actually building a computer. People think its crazy I can do that and wouldn't know where to even start, and I think that that is something really easy to do.

·
Registered
407 Posts
To me that is an utter scam. $180 just to show someone how to insert the cd and read where it says burn then to click on it. I have now officially lost all respect for best buy and thier geeks. Its no wonder fully 60 percent of the world is computer illiterate everyone wants to rape someone in prices to teach you anything. I can see being recompensed for your time but to the tune of 180 bills for something that though it be not the first thing a typical user would look for is still something that can be taught in less than 10 minutes is obsurd. Maybe im just biased as I try to share my limited knowledge freely computer or otherwise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts