Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 530 Posts

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current OP is slated with info for T-Mobile G1 based ANDROID phone. If you wish to see info/specs on other phones, ask and it shall be done!

I'm making this thread for the (currently) T-mobile exclusive G1 Android cell phone made by HTC and Googe (OS)! I wan't to compile some info for OCN users and for myself before I buy this phone so I know what to expect

T-Mobile's official site: http://www.t-mobileg1.com/
HTC's G1 Webpage: http://www.htc.com/www/product/g1/overview.html

Highlights
  • 3.2-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with HVGA (320 X 480 pixel) resolution.
  • Full 5-row QWERTY keyboard.
  • One-click Google Searchâ„¢.
  • Customizable Home screen with instant Email, text message and IM notifications.
  • Instant access to mobile Internet services (Gmailâ„¢, YouTubeâ„¢, Google Mapsâ„¢, Google Talkâ„¢, Google Calendarâ„¢).
  • High-speed 3.5G network connection.
  • Wi-Fi technology with seamless transition to open networks.
  • Android Marketâ„¢ with access to variety of software and media downloads. (some fees may apply)
  • 3.2 megapixel color camera with auto focus.
  • microSDâ„¢ (SD 2.0 compatible) expansion slot for all your storage needs.
Specifications
  • Processor: Qualcomm® MSM7201Aâ„¢, 528 MHz
  • Operating System: Androidâ„¢
  • Memory:
  • ROM: 256 MB
  • RAM: 192 MB
  • Dimensions (LxWxT): 117.7 mm x 55.7 mm x 17.1 mm
  • (4.60 in x 2.16 in x 0.62 in)
  • Weight: 158 grams (5.60 ounces) with battery
  • Display: 3.2-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with 320 x 480 (HVGA) resolution
  • Network: HSPA/WCDMA:
  • Europe: 2100 MHz
  • US:1700/2100 MHz
  • Up to 7.2 Mbps down-link (HSDPA) and 2 Mbps up-link (HSUPA) speeds
  • Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
    850/900/1800/1900 MHz *(Band frequency, HSUPA availability, and data speed are operator dependent.)
  • Device Control: Trackball with Enter button
  • Keyboard: Slide-out 5-row QWERTY keyboard
  • GPS: GPS navigation capability with Google Mapsâ„¢
  • Connectivity: Bluetooth® 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate
  • Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11b/g
  • HTC ExtUSBâ„¢ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0 and audio jack in one)
  • Camera: 3.2 megapixel color camera with auto focus
  • Audio: Built-in microphone and speaker
  • Ring tone formats:
  • AAC, AAC+, AMR-NB, MIDI, MP3, WMA, WMV
  • 40 polyphonic and standard MIDI format 0 and 1 (SMF)/SP MIDI
  • Battery: Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery; Capacity: 1150 mAh
  • Talk time:
  • Up to 350 minutes for WCDMA
  • Up to 406 minutes for GSM
  • Standby time:
    Up to 402 hours for WCDMA
    Up to 319 hours for GSM
    (The above are subject to network and phone usage.)
  • Expansion Slot: microSDâ„¢ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)
  • AC Adapter: Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 Hz
  • DC output: 5V and 1A
  • Special Features: Digital Compass, Motion Sensor

Android Owners Club

Code:
Code:
[CODE]
[URL="http://www.overclock.net/mobile-phones-smartphones-pocket-pcs/404904-unofficial-g1-android-phone-owners-thread.html"]G1 Android [B]Owners Club[/B][/URL]
[/CODE]

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHoff
View Post

I wants, but I'm stuck to verizon for two years

I happen to have ended my contract last month so I am just waiting on some input before dropping the hammer on adding two more years

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX
View Post

I happen to have ended my contract last month so I am just waiting on some input before dropping the hammer on adding two more years

Thanks for making this thread. My contract is up at the end of this month and after seeing how Wal-Mart will be selling them at a good price, I too would like some input from the OCN community before adding another 2 years.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cake is a Lie
View Post

Looks like a cool phone, I hope it's transition to Canadian providers does not take as long as the bloody Iphone did.

it's T-Mobile exclusive sir. this phone will never go to another carrier. The OS might but the phone won't.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have one for mobile gaming development and heres my take:

- Too Bulky, thick, heavy and bad form factor
- Screen is too small for the market segment its competing in.
- Poorly weighted - once screen is open its weight makes it dip forward in your hand.. like holding a pail of water.. the weight shifts and is very uncomfortable.
- User interface is poor by comparison to iPhone. non-intuitive and cludgy at best.
- TMobile is by far the worst network

+ Open platform, not a walled garden for developers and breeds competition in the market
+ It will do for open platforms what the iPhone did for re-inventing mobile appliances.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spart
View Post

FYI It's not made by google. It's made by HTC. Google merely made the OS.

http://www.htc.com/www/product/g1/overview.html

Thank you for mentioning that, I fixed the OP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistum Id
View Post

Thanks for making this thread. My contract is up at the end of this month and after seeing how Wal-Mart will be selling them at a good price, I too would like some input from the OCN community before adding another 2 years.

Yep! anytime man

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkryz
View Post

I have one for mobile gaming development and heres my take:

- Too Bulky, thick, heavy and bad form factor
- Screen is too small for the market segment its competing in.
- Poorly weighted - once screen is open its weight makes it dip forward in your hand.. like holding a pail of water.. the weight shifts and is very uncomfortable.
- User interface is poor by comparison to iPhone. non-intuitive and cludgy at best.
- TMobile is by far the worst network

+ Open platform, not a walled garden for developers and breeds competition in the market
+ It will do for open platforms what the iPhone did for re-inventing mobile appliances.

Can you provide a tad more details on the issue with the screen? Does it wobble? this might be a defect you have, or at least thats what it sounds like... I hope...

I can see your point about bulky and heavy as I did use it at the TMobile store and it was usually weighty for a phone, but coming from a guy who uses a slim phone and an iPod Nano, I was open minded about it... I think I can deal with it

I strongly disagree with T Mobile being the worst network. I have been a customer for them for years now (almost 8) and I have never had a problem, never had a dropped call, never had an area without service, never had bad customer service. DO also note I have never had their data plan so I cannot compare how their data network is. IF that is what you were referring to, please do be more specific.

I agree about the user interface being not as good as the iPhone. The iPhone I was able to pick up and start using IMMEDIATELY and start texting in seconds... I still have not found the button on the G1 that lets me text.. I had to go through contacts and use the "msg this person" feature... so its quite obvious the user interface is not nearly as good as Apple's... my initial reaction was "wow that is a lot of stuff, how do I make a phone call or text?"

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I don't own or even play with the G1 but for the users the best place,for new applications or programs.Is goin to be the XDA developers forum.http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=447Have fun with it.Oh and by the way in the xda forums you want to called by the name of the Dream=G1.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX View Post
any new owners wanna comment?

bumpz
Me!

Excuse my face, lol.

Excellent phone. The quality of both the handset and the OS are amazing. Ive only been playing for a while, but its seems to be every bit my perfect phone. I shall keep everyone updated however.

Reasonable deal with T-Mobile too. Unlimited 3G internet (3GB Fair usage) with £140 call value for £30 a month + £50 for the handset.

Im considering learning java for this because I'd love to write some apps for it.

Also, FreeRoller, gonna make a sig for this thread?

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Oh man my cousin has this phone and it is crazy..i love it, its got some really cool apps aswell like a spirit level which responds amazingly well..and the way the keypad opens out is very cool too. But i dont really like big mobiles, so i personally wouldnt get it..but man it has so many features its amazing.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
G1 Android Owners Thread

Does this work?

I don't know how to add URL's without it underlining, can someone help out with that?

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Is the phone itself good? I had to write an article for the school newspaper about it a month ago and when I first wrote it, the phone had just came out and I only heard bad things about the phone itself but great things about the OS. Therefore - I wrote exactly that, the phone itself is OK but the OS is where its at. I can still change it if I get some opinions from you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28
View Post

Is the phone itself good? I had to write an article for the school newspaper about it a month ago and when I first wrote it, the phone had just came out and I only heard bad things about the phone itself but great things about the OS. Therefore - I wrote exactly that, the phone itself is OK but the OS is where its at. I can still change it if I get some opinions from you guys.

The operating system is really where its at. Its a beautiful OS.

Although the handset is very good in its own right. The build quality from what I can tell is good. Battery life isnt really something Ive had a chance to test, but it seems to be holding out ok considering I havent left it alone today, haha.

The built in WiFi is good and works well with my WPA-Encrypted WiFi network. Bluetooth again is something I havent touched yet. The screen is good quality, very clear and crisp, and very responsive to touch. It senses Finger stroke velocity when your scrolling so you can blast through a long page if needs be.

The QWERTY keyboard is good, although It will take some getting used to because of the layout. Although having said that, the layout makes it easier to combine using the keyboard with the touchscreen simultaneously.

But, yeah, its a good phone. I love it personally.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrphanShadow View Post
G1 Android Owners Club

That work? I dont think you can get rid of underline for some reason.
Looks great

thanks for the input too!
G1 Android Owners Club

Code:

Code:
[CODE]
[URL="http://www.overclock.net/mobile-phones-smartphones-pocket-pcs/404904-unofficial-g1-android-phone-owners-thread.html"]G1 Android [B]Owners Club[/B][/URL]
[/CODE]

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I just got mine couple of hours ago and wow, its a huge step up from my RIZR. The 3G internet is fast I think for handheld. Its my first time using internet on 3G but I ran a speed test for download I got 209Kbit/s and upload I got 97.2kbit/s.

Images load quick and overclock.net loads fast as well.

I went to WalMart to get mine but they raised the price to 175 with 2 year agreement. Total price came out to 190 and some change which isn't bad I think for what I got.

I love the App store and I have been adding stuff left and right. I cant wait to try out the barcode reader.

The whole O/S is smooth and fluid, no lag thus far with. Open source FTW111!!!

Gonna go play some more.

1 - 20 of 530 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.