Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
sudo apt install sl
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/03/the-google-pixel-4a-is-official-pricing-specs-release-date-and-more/

After a nearly interminable wait, Google's hotly-anticipated Pixel 4a is finally official. Following up on last year's Pixel 3a (our Android Police 2019 phone of the year), the new 4a packs a Snapdragon 730G, 5.8" OLED screen, the usual amazing Pixel camera, 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, and all for an even lower price than last year: just $350. Pre-orders open today with availability set for August 20th, and a 5G version is also planned for later this fall.

·
PC Evangelist
46,711 Posts
They could have gone for much faster SOC for $50 more. Still crazy it has more RAM than Pixel 3 XL.

These pixel A phones are basically Nexus but with money shifted for SOC to Camera.

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,536 Posts
My last android phone was Nexus 4 which was actually nice to use at the time (disregarding its attempts of self-immolation). This 4a does look pretty enticing. But then I recall that G Pay support of banks is stupid and I get upset again. I'll still put it on my list of possible alternatives.

·
Still kinda lost
3,341 Posts
I would rather get an older Flagship, the 730g was really a bad decision.

Thank god for googles sake that the Nord is not available in NA for now.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,150 Posts
happy with my 3a XL, I'll get a 5a :laughings

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Couldn't wait any longer for this dang phone. Got an S10 Lite back in May or June. LG G5 I had before was the biggest turd. Had to charge it twice a day.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
LTSC for life crew
2,877 Posts
This looks like a promising phone for the price. Only thing is I wonder how the SoC compares to a full 8 series model. Also pretty important is if this has the newer & much better UFS 3.1 storage that flagships have these days.

• Rep+

·
sudo apt install sl
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This looks like a promising phone for the price. Only thing is I wonder how the SoC compares to a full 8 series model. Also pretty important is if this has the newer & much better UFS 3.1 storage that flagships have these days.
The CPU cores are slightly faster than the 835 while the GPU is slower than the GPU in the 835.

• Rep+

·
Testing...
3,245 Posts
After buying one flagship SoC, I never want to buy another one again. All that matters is RAM, screen on time and charging speed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been happy with the 3a, and was looking forward to this more than anything because of finally being able to move slightly down on size (it's amazing to me that there's literally no phone that could interest me tha isn't way, way too big).

But the ******* water resistance is something I actually miss, while the headphone jack I don't need anymore, so I'm gonna wait to see how the Pixel 5 looks.

One thing I do know: No interest whatsoever in a top SoC. Significantly less battery life for nothing at all (since I've no interest in playing games on my phone).

·
Untitled.jpg
835 Posts
I managed to get the regular Pixel 3 on sale for about this price earlier in the year, I think I made the right call.

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,807 Posts
Wish Google Pixel line was available in my country. After my lg g3 died I wanted to try android one and there was only mi a3 so that's what i got right now. 720p does not bother me and 4k battery is too much for my mild use after G3's battery hogging qhd screen.

1080p and 6" is my limit from now on. And 6 or 7 series soc is enough.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,180 Posts
Is that a button on the back of the phone? One of the things that keeps me using the LG G series is the center button on the back, I don't think I could ever go back to using a phone without it.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,877 Posts
Is that a button on the back of the phone? One of the things that keeps me using the LG G series is the center button on the back, I don't think I could ever go back to using a phone without it.
On my LG G7 the back part is just a fingerprint sensor and not a real clicky type button. My G4 & my V20 had the rear buttons and I thought it was a really great idea but it seems it's dying out with newer devices. The V series like the V40/V50 still have it though.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,180 Posts
On my LG G7 the back part is just a fingerprint sensor and not a real clicky type button. My G4 & my V20 had the rear buttons and I thought it was a really great idea but it seems it's dying out with newer devices. The V series like the V40/V50 still have it though.
It's the fingerprint sensor, same place as every other Google phone with a sensor.
I have the G7 as well, the fingerprint sensor is the important part for me since I use it for unlocking. I didn't even realize that it was just a sensor and not a button until I read this, I press it every time as if it was a button.

I don't pay attention to phone tech so I didn't realize other manufacturers were putting a button (or fingerprint sensor) on the back.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's the fingerprint sensor, same place as every other Google phone with a sensor.
I have the G7 as well, the fingerprint sensor is the important part for me since I use it for unlocking. I didn't even realize that it was just a sensor and not a button until I read this, I press it every time as if it was a button.

I don't pay attention to phone tech so I didn't realize other manufacturers were putting a button (or fingerprint sensor) on the back.
I noticed many phones with a rear fingerprint sensor can also be used for swipe gestures.

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
Isn't this supposed to compete with the iPhone SE? If so, the CPU is terrible choice, the A13 destroys it in performance.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,877 Posts
Isn't this supposed to compete with the iPhone SE? If so, the CPU is terrible choice, the A13 destroys it in performance.
Apple's devices have traditionally had uber powerful single core performance compared to even snapdragon flagships. The great value in an android device lies elsewhere.

I had my Nexus 6P for what seemed like an eternity and it was quite the trooper the whole time; is currently in use as my mom's everyday device after she dropped her LG G4 into a full mop bucket on purpose to kill it and necessitate a new phone. And besides an iPhone would have had a software update to bork the device 1/3 of the way through the time I kept my Nexus in use for. :p

If these future Pixel devices are even half as great as my 6P was I'll be buying a Pixel 5 or whatever next gen big boi device is offered. They have earned my loyalty very much so with my past Nexus phone experiences (From a 5 to a 6, a 7 tablet, 9 tablet, & 6P all told).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts