Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished my first build on Saturday and everything seems fine, except my psu. It makes this annoying high pitched noise. Is this normal?

·
Registered
891 Posts
It may be a capacitor going bad. You should try to see through the openings of the PSU if you can see any capacitors that have bulged tops or discoloration due to a leaking "fluid." Do not open up your PSU as this voids your warranty.

In any case, I would RMA it. It's not worth having a problem with your new rig this early in the game.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockosmodlife;15267054
It may be a capacitor going bad. You should try to see through the openings of the PSU if you can see any capacitors that have bulged tops or discoloration due to a leaking "fluid." Do not open up your PSU as this voids your warranty.

In any case, I would RMA it. It's not worth having a problem with your new rig this early in the game.
thumb.gif
Really? If it is bad, I think I'll just buy a new psu and return this one when I get my new one. Can't afford to be without a computer.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
I just had to return an AX1200 AND an AX850 for this same issue. Let me guess, it increases significantly with 3D activity?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat Miser;15267159
Really? If it is bad, I think I'll just buy a new psu and return this one when I get my new one. Can't afford to be without a computer.
Well thats a better option
thumb.gif

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm about to RMA a Corsair Hx1050 for the same reason. ie. Coil Whine.

....Let me guess, it increases significantly when 3D gaming, Bootup and........moving the mouse in a browser!!!???
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos;15268374
I'm about to RMA a Corsair Hx1050 for the same reason. ie. Coil Whine.

....Let me guess, it increases significantly when 3D gaming, Bootup and........moving the mouse in a browser!!!???
biggrin.gif
I haven't done any gaming yet, but the noise stays the same the entire time my pc is on.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Not a capacitor. Just inductor whine. The HX850 seems to suffer from an unusually high incidence of this...

There's nothing wrong with your PSU except that one of the inductors is vibrating at an audible frequency. Not much you can do about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts