Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while, as soon as I think that everything is stable, I get a BSoD and its always when I bring up or am in the middle of playing FEAR multi - tho I don't play other games as much, I have yet to see it happen during other games. It doesnt happen all the time, random. I started FEAR multi and the screen froze in an odd manner (screen kinda darkened while I was finding servers), so I ctrl-alt del and it unfroze. As soon as I click on a server, BSoD and immediate restart. I have my CPU OCd as well as my 8800GTS and aside from the BSoDs everything runs great. I have the 158.22 XP drivers from the website for my vid card. What do yall think may be wrong?

thx, Case

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
maybe overheating? have you checked your temps, I think windows automatically shuts down at 70 or 80 degrees

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
temps are all fine - 42 idle, around 55-60 under load for CPU..GPU runs slightly hotter but thats typical - 55 idle, and probably around 70 under load.

my PD 940 is running at 4.27 GHz, and core for 8800GTS is at 655 with vid mem at 1055.

·
Super Noob
1,774 Posts
possibly a memory issue, thats was what was happing to me this past week, and now one fo my sticks are dead and now im bring it back today for new ones.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
What is the error message in the BSOD?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I never can read it - its very quick...like a split second, and my system resets immediately..again, random - so I have no way to prepare for it...ill run those programs and see what comes up..sometimes I get stop errors when I load windows up...about as infrequent if not less then the BSoDs. Another thing...FEAR crashes on me sometimes w/o the BSoDs...heres an example error in EL:

Faulting application fearmp.exe, version 1.8.282.0, faulting module gam22.tmp, version 1.8.282.0, fault address 0x00166cfc.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Right click My Computer & select properties, advanced, settings & turn off automatically restart. That way when you get a BSOD you should get a STOP error code.

Sounds like its vid card/driver related though as it always happens when playing a game. Have you run driver cleaner &/or tried a format? If it still occurs having formatted then you have a hardware issue.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
its your mobo

ranom restarts with good temps usually means that one of the capacitors is bad.

ARe any of the capacitors bulging off colored or look difference.

In case yu don't know capacitors are the round tall (and sometimes small) cylenders on the mobo

EDIT
ops I read this isn't an issue....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts