Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been debating changing up my GPU swag a little bit lately, and I can't quite decide where I want to go. For now, I would like to stay in the green camp, so here are my current considerations:
  1. Get another 1.2gb 570 and be able to enjoy max settings @ 1200p for a good while
  2. Sell the 570 and get 2 560 Ti 2gb cards to prepare for surround down the road
If I went with a 570, I'd try to find one used. It's very unlikely I would be able to find a 2gb 560 Ti used, so these are roughly the same price. I considered the 2.5gb 570 and of course 580, but I don't know that I would be comfortable putting that much into a gpu setup. Here are a few things worth mentioning...

The 570 I currently have is original reference (4-phase). It doesn't seem to be a great OCer, but I'm currently testing to see if this is just a driver issue. I'm mentioning this because the card is under water, and so will any future cards. If I have one weak 570 holding back my sli, it almost makes sense to start fresh with 560 Tis that I could potential OC to 570 clocks and beyond.

Finally, I'd like to start gearing up for tri-monitor. I'm not quite there yet, but if I get sli 570s, I know I'd be committing to single monitor for a bit longer. Would dual 560 Tis even have enough horsepower to handle 1080p surround?

So, I'd appreciate some help deciding where to go next. Chime in with any suggestions, experience, or other considerations I should take in to account. Please don't make this a "570 IS MORE POWERFUL" thread.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
A few opinions incoming:

560ti 2gb is the vastly smarter option if you want an nvidia card and are planning on surround. Buying another 570 will, as you said, lock you into single monitor for longer.

That being said, 560ti 2gb SLI will give you the performance of a 580, + about 15-25% depending on the scenario. Whether or not this is powerful enough is up to you. Personally I think you should be okay for a while, but surround gaming is not cheap if you want to continue maxing out the latest titles. You will most likely need an upgrade much sooner than if you stick single monitor and use a 570 for now + another down the road

So it really comes down to this: Is the benefit of surround gaming worth the cost of the hardware to drive it properly?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now, it's hard for me to answer that last question, which is why I'm looking for some advice from someone else who has experience with tri-monitors without an infinitely deep pocket.

Completely unrelated, how is that new Black Dahlia. I haven't bothered listening because Deflorate bored the crap outta me. Nocturnal was boss, though.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by champyg
View Post

Right now, it's hard for me to answer that last question, which is why I'm looking for some advice from someone else who has experience with tri-monitors without an infinitely deep pocket.

Completely unrelated, how is that new Black Dahlia. I haven't bothered listening because Deflorate bored the crap outta me. Nocturnal was boss, though.

tri-monitor setups are sort of inherently expensive. Whether or not it's viable to do on a non-infinite budget is beyond me so I'll leave that to someone with that sort of experience.

Off Topic: I didn't enjoy deflorate a ton but I Will Return was far and away the best song I had heard by them up to that point. As for ritual, it has more technical guitar work as a result of Ryan Knight [arsis <3] being on lead again, but it also has a lot of black metal-ish riffs which I think sound fantastic.

Overall I think it's a great album but I'm a diehard BDM fan so I like basically everything by them. I would recommend checking out Carbonized in Cruciform, The Graverobber's Work, and A Shrine to Madness if at all possible as I think those are the best songs on the album, but again..opinions.jpg

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on all the good points you presented for your argument, I'll go ahead and do that right now
rolleyes.gif

·
Old Timers Unite
1,240 Posts
Get another 570 and then go surround later. Downgrading gpu performance in favor of a bit more vram isn't the best option. Just go 2 570's and I think that you'll find that they will do just fine in Nvidia surround.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I hadn't looked into a 590 before. It's an interesting consideration, but in order for it to come out cheaper and for me to be able to consider it, I'll have to score a used one. With supply on those as short as it is, I might have a hard time coming across one. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll start keeping an eye out for a used one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts