Overclock.net banner

another a8nsli premium vmod

16363 Views 26 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  JamY
heres another vcore mod for the asus a8n series (nilla,deluxe,premium) that someone found, ill be trying this one out this friday and let ya all know how it works
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=41735
  • Rep+
Reactions: ncsa
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
It works shamino says it does..
lol

well considering some of the projects that guy has done and documented quiet well i tend to atleast mostly trust a modd when he says itll work

and as soon as i do it ill let ya all know, but i dont know how to take close ups very well with my camera (ill take a look in the manual tonight) but ill give it a shot

· Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok it works aewsome!!!!!! first of all i tried to take some pics o fthe work but i could really only do the finished portion and my camera is really sucky at close ups

anyways i bought a 10k adj pot at radio shack ($2.50) and took some wire from an old fan connector then i followed the instructions here http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=41735

very very scetchy considering i dont do much soldering (ive been practicing on an old asus p4pe that i broke ) but it all worked out in the end (thank god)

first of all i connected the wires to the pot and soldered them on then put some shrink wrap on there, next i got the end that i was going to be attaching to the mobo ready by stripping it and applying a small amount of solder to the wire

then i opened up my case and did the dirty and attached it to the point in the diagram

next i attached the ground to a coaster screw that s on my case (any ground will work)

next i made sure that the pot was turned alll the way down (most resistance) and previously i had set the vcore in bios to 1.40v

fired it up and it worked great, at the lowest setting it was .5vcore higher then that set it bios
bios=1.4v
actual=1.45
bios=1.35v
actual1.4v

great for a slight adjustment, then i went in to hardware monitor in bios and manually adjusted the pot and it went up to >1.8vcore (thats where i stopped because it turned red in bios screen) i think that it wont post after 1.85 but thats way more then i need now and way more then i could use with water (probably)

so then i adjusted the pot so that it read 1.65v at 1.4v in bios and then basically i could use the bios as a fine tuner
1.4v bios
1.65v actual

1.4125v bios
1.66v actual

1.425v bios
1.71v actual

ok for some reason i cant upload pics so those will come shortly

· Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22
ok it works aewsome!!!!!! first of all i tried to take some pics o fthe work but i could really only do the finished portion and my camera is really sucky at close ups

anyways i bought a 10k adj pot at radio shack ($2.50) and took some wire from an old fan connector then i followed the instructions here http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=41735

very very scetchy considering i dont do much soldering (ive been practicing on an old asus p4pe that i broke ) but it all worked out in the end (thank god)

first of all i connected the wires to the pot and soldered them on then put some shrink wrap on there, next i got the end that i was going to be attaching to the mobo ready by stripping it and applying a small amount of solder to the wire

then i opened up my case and did the dirty and attached it to the point in the diagram

next i attached the ground to a coaster screw that s on my case (any ground will work)

next i made sure that the pot was turned alll the way down (most resistance) and previously i had set the vcore in bios to 1.40v

fired it up and it worked great, at the lowest setting it was .5vcore higher then that set it bios
bios=1.4v
actual=1.45
bios=1.35v
actual1.4v

great for a slight adjustment, then i went in to hardware monitor in bios and manually adjusted the pot and it went up to >1.8vcore (thats where i stopped because it turned red in bios screen) i think that it wont post after 1.85 but thats way more then i need now and way more then i could use with water (probably)

so then i adjusted the pot so that it read 1.65v at 1.4v in bios and then basically i could use the bios as a fine tuner
1.4v bios
1.65v actual

1.4125v bios
1.66v actual

1.425v bios
1.71v actual

ok for some reason i cant upload pics so those will come shortly

Nice job ,might have to have a go at that one myself

· Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok hers some pics and yeah i know its all getto right now but its in developement

oh yeah and i was able to get my opti170 to post at 2.9ghz

gotta mess with all my settings all over agian to see what i can do now

(this board oc's so much better then my a8vdeluxe)
LL
LL
LL

· Registered
2,063 Posts
Had my opty posting to 2950mhz this afternoon with only 5.1v so with abit of extra voltage may come in useful. Temps kept quite steady @ 29 idle and 35 load so i have still got some room but i have come to the wall of my ram.It wasnt stable but with better ram and a slightly higher v-core 3-3.1 should be attainable

· Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Had my opty posting to 2950mhz this afternoon with only 5.1v so with abit of extra voltage may come in useful. Temps kept quite steady @ 29 idle and 35 load so i have still got some room but i have come to the wall of my ram.It wasnt stable but with better ram and a slightly higher v-core 3-3.1 should be attainable
lol i hope you mean 1.5vcore (ahahahaha) 5.1 that would be a major cooling solution you got there

yeah thats the same thing i ran into, at 1.65vcore i was stable on my old board at 2740mhz

but when i upgraded i only had 1.5vcore but i still made it to 2680 stable and i couldnt post past 2750 9which was way better then my old board but i just needed the extra vcore

i aint run any test yet but just posting at 2850 much less running any programs with 1.68vcore when compared to 2750 at 1.65vcore with my old mobo (thats not bad)

· Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote:

lol i hope you mean 1.5vcore (ahahahaha) 5.1 that would be a major cooling solution you got there

yeah thats the same thing i ran into, at 1.65vcore i was stable on my old board at 2740mhz

but when i upgraded i only had 1.5vcore but i still made it to 2680 stable and i couldnt post past 2750 9which was way better then my old board but i just needed the extra vcore

i aint run any test yet but just posting at 2850 much less running any programs with 1.68vcore when compared to 2750 at 1.65vcore with my old mobo (thats not bad)

Yeah my bad lol

· Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Question i am new to overclocking but just built a sweet comp. Check my specs. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with my processor and mobo and what i should OC it all to? Thanks.

fiest i would read all the guides and stuff then post in the amd cpu section or the amd multicore section and youll get more people to take a look at it and give more suggestions

Quote:

Good job.
I plan on doing this mod as soon as I get a soldering iron, solder, and a 10k pot.

i dont know how good of a soldering you are but i would suggest practincing on a old mobo or card of somesort that has similer size points to solder

its relatively easy but as allways you dont want to mess it up and it is a tight spot but i dont have any real skills and managed to get er done so i think pretty much anyone here can do it with a little practice

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Quote:

ok hers some pics and yeah i know its all getto right now but its in developement

oh yeah and i was able to get my opti170 to post at 2.9ghz

gotta mess with all my settings all over agian to see what i can do now

(this board oc's so much better then my a8vdeluxe)

i know this thread is old..but what divider are you running?

· Retired Benchmark Editor
10,215 Posts
Quote:

View Post

heres another vcore mod for the asus a8n series (nilla,deluxe,premium) that someone found, ill be trying this one out this friday and let ya all know how it works
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=41735

That pic at vr-zone is super tiny. Can't read or really see anything. Can you post something besides a thumbnail of the mod point with data? I would like to add this to the essentials thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.