Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
The SpinQs aren't good for quad cores... if you want something capable of challenging the Megahalems, you can find the TRUE just about everywhere; give it a thorough lap job and a good fan and you're set. If you want to stick to Newegg, the Xigmatek Thor's Hammer performs typically within a degree of an un-lapped TRUE (though mounting it can be a pain, literally, and it doesn't come with a fan).

For a fan for both heatsinks, I'd use the Scythe S-Flex G; you can get it from almost every major parts shop, and it does very well on any heatsink.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have to lap the Thor's Hammer as well? I've never lapped before and don't really want to :S

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Nope. Lapping heatsinks where the pipes directly contact the IHS (such as the Hammer) have never needed lapping, unless you get an odd duck from the production line that has imperfections (thankfully I didn't).

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Thor's hammer will cool a quadcore very well. I had it before i moved onto my water setup. Just get 2 of the before mentioned S-Flex fans for a pull|push setup.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you would reccomend the Thor's Hammer over the Dark Knight? I'm assuming the Dark Knight is for people with tight budgets really?

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H4rd5tyl3 View Post
So you would reccomend the Thor's Hammer over the Dark Knight? I'm assuming the Dark Knight is for people with tight budgets really?
Yes, however the Dark Knight isn't necessarily like that; it's a bang-for-buck cooler, it's quite easy to get 4GHz on a CPU like yours with it. Though, since you asked about an alternative to the Megahalem, I would assume you want a top-shelf performer, and the Thor's Hammer comes pretty close to being one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There's the TRUE Rev. C which performs the same as the Megahalems and even better at extreme TDP and extreme cfm fans (which no one will want for 24/7). As well, the Zalman CNPS10X series also performs as well as the Megahalems and TRUE Rev. C, but manages to edge them out with low rpm fans in comparison. Only problem with the Zalmans are: 1) mounting mechanism sucks and could use a little modification for more tension, 2) only made to hold 1 fan, so push-pull configs will require some simple improvision.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. And yes, I wanted a top-shelf performer but I wasn't aware that Thor's Hammer didn't need lapping (which I want to avoid) so I didn't list it :S. Once again, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
No problem. Just be aware that you WILL be better off installing it outside the case, even if you were to get a new one with a backplate cutout in the motherboard tray. The thing is very large, only a handful of other tower heatsinks are bigger, and it's a bit difficult securing the screws to the backplate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts