Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like peoples opinions on wether i should get an AMD or Intel. I will be doing some gaming, benchieing and multitasking. A water cooling setup from dangerden will be purchased. Also, I will be getting a 6800GT BFG.

Please don't be baised.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Well, since AMD Athlon XP 3200's only go up to 2.2 Ghz and Pentuim 4's go up to 3.2 Ghz, then Pentuim 4's are better, right? Not Necessarily. While Pentium 4's are higher in Ghz, the Pentium 4 only does 6 floating point operations per clock cycle. Which means it can only compute 6 things per each one or it's clock cycles. The AMD Athlon XP can do 9 floating point operations per clock cycle. So, even if the Pentium 3.2 is faster in Ghz, the AMD can still work faster.

Look at this:

2.2 times 9 = 19.8
3.2 times 6 = 19.2

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

Well, since AMD Athlon XP 3200's only go up to 2.2 Ghz and Pentuim 4's go up to 3.2 Ghz, then Pentuim 4's are better, right? Not Necessarily. While Pentium 4's are higher in Ghz, the Pentium 4 only does 6 floating point operations per clock cycle. Which means it can only compute 6 things per each one or it's clock cycles. The AMD Athlon XP can do 9 floating point operations per clock cycle. So, even if the Pentium 3.2 is faster in Ghz, the AMD can still work faster.

Look at this:

2.2 times 9 = 19.8
3.2 times 6 = 19.2

that is correct. wats ur budget btw....

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCnerd2357

why?

i didnt see a performance boost when i had a gig.

remember that newer programs are more taxing on computers... think to the future.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

I perfer Intel, but if AMD will be a better gamer......

Check out this CPU battle (thanks muffin) That should clear any doubts in your mind of which one is the best gamer.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
if you're benching and multitasking, then intel's the way to go. i think that a high-clocked P4 will compete with a simlilarly clocked AMD... i've never experienced any lag due to processor lag in games, and i have a 2.8 northwood. i'd say go for a similarly clocked P4. i'd even say go up to 3.0 or 3.2 to be safe, HT is a must, it'll kick ass in multitasking and it'll do excellent in benchmarks.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

WoW

a dtr 3000 is about the same as a 3.8Ghz intel

look at the numbers though... 100fps is still amazing. remember that. intel can multitask and handle games well enough. but the price tag is higher.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
if you go intel, make sure to go LGA775. latest and greatest, and somewhat future-proof. you can get some amazing motherboards with the LGA chipset, it's amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waffles

look at the numbers though... 100fps is still amazing. remember that. intel can multitask and handle games well enough. but the price tag is higher.

Well in that benchmark that I posted it shows you, a 160 dollar processor, scoring higher than a 3.4EE which is a 1000 dollar CPU. That quite a difference.

I would go for a cheap A64, and the money you save put it towards a better video card.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts