Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given a friends portable HDD, which has been dropped.

I believe it was on at the time, as he has it connected to his TV, and his partner knocked it off the unit.

I have removed it from the case, it is a WD20EARS (Western Digital) green.

I have it connected to a PC, in BIOS it is seen. In windows disk management, it is shown with no drive letter, and I get no options for anything.

Here is a pic:

Can I try anything else before telling him "Sorry mate it is shagged"

·
Registered
226 Posts
It looks that you put it in a raid array... Seeing that disk 0 is about 4tb big. How windows is running IDK? Also you will not be able to read the data from the bare drive. the WD box it originally comes in reads and writes data differently than normal. What's wrong with the box?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing visual is wrong with the box.

The HDD is from a hp Simple Save, model: hp md2000h

But when in it's enclosure, the only thing that happens is the power LED keeps flashing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Check the drive in a non-Windows utility like Parted Magic or Gparted Live....both bootable disks can be created with free ISO downloads that fit onto a CD-r (also can be put onto a USB flash drive if you don't have CD-r disks).

Connect it directly to a SATA port inside your PC, and disconnect any other hard drives....boot from the CD, and you should be able to get some information by looking at the on screen display. I'm not exactly sure what gets damaged when a hard drive is dropped so I can't say what the best course of action would be, but first things first- check to see if the file structure and partition information are still readable through either of the programs listed above. Partition tables can be re-written with a couple different programs, but this being a unique situation, I'm not sure the best way to approach the recovery, so I would wait until a hard disk pro, or more knowledgeable OCN member posts a recommendation.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What was the drive hooked to before you gave it to him?

Sorry..I looked it up .Would you look into the device manager and see if there is
a exclamation mark or question mark showing...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat View Post

Check the drive in a non-Windows utility like Parted Magic or Gparted Live....both bootable disks can be created with free ISO downloads that fit onto a CD-r (also can be put onto a USB flash drive if you don't have CD-r disks).

Connect it directly to a SATA port inside your PC, and disconnect any other hard drives....boot from the CD, and you should be able to get some information by looking at the on screen display. I'm not exactly sure what gets damaged when a hard drive is dropped so I can't say what the best course of action would be, but first things first- check to see if the file structure and partition information are still readable through either of the programs listed above. Partition tables can be re-written with a couple different programs, but this being a unique situation, I'm not sure the best way to approach the recovery, so I would wait until a hard disk pro, or more knowledgeable OCN member posts a recommendation.
I will give this a try when I get my USB back, I don't have any DVD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperkite View Post

What was the drive hooked to before you gave it to him?

Sorry..I looked it up .Would you look into the device manager and see if there is
a exclamation mark or question mark showing...
Device manager is not showing anything. No exclamation marks, no WD HDD listed either
mad.gif

·
Registered
424 Posts
The other partion could have been created when you said you connected it a TV.
Did the hard drive ever work when connected to TV...watching videos or listening to music?
Just trying to get what was going on with use of the drive before it dropped
smile.gif

·
Registered
424 Posts
If it a click sound, It is not good...
Do not keep plugging in and unplugging,
you may only have one chance to get you data back,
so get yourself ready..DVD...Another HDD or USB Key..
Good Luck
smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts