Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm building a PC for my brother, here are the specs:

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8300 @ 2.50 Ghz

4Gb of Generic RAM @ 800 Mhz IIRC

ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 IIRC

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2GB Superclocked

How many watts do you guys think this needs? I was thinking between 500 - 550, can someone give me some insight
redface.gif
?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post

So I'm building a PC for my brother, here are the specs:

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8300 @ 2.50 Ghz

4Gb of Generic RAM @ 800 Mhz IIRC

ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 IIRC

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2GB Superclocked

How many watts do you guys think this needs? I was thinking between 500 - 550, can someone give me some insight
redface.gif
?
I run a 3.6 Ghz Q9650 and a GTX260 on a 400 watt Antec
With a good quality 500-550 watt unit you could sli the GTX650, if it allowed it
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post

Give yourself a little overhead, less strain on the PSU and would handle some new components:
CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrvlr View Post

I run a 3.6 Ghz Q9650 and a GTX260 on a 400 watt Antec
With a good quality 500-550 watt unit you could sli the GTX650, if it allowed it
Hm 650W seems nice but, I would like to keep the budget of the PSU around a max of 80 dollars, do you have any recommended ones around that price point?

Edit: Oh I should also mention that my brother will probably upgrade this PC in the future to probably a newer AMD CPU with some DDR3 ram and etc. So yeah a 600W - 650W would probably be a smart choice to leave some room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post

Hm 650W seems nice but, I would like to keep the budget of the PSU around a max of 80 dollars, do you have any recommended ones around that price point?

Edit: Oh I should also mention that my brother will probably upgrade this PC in the future to probably a newer AMD CPU with some DDR3 ram and etc. So yeah a 600W - 650W would probably be a smart choice to leave some room.
http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/amazon/rosewill-power-supply-hive650
Rosewills are made by the same people that make Seasonic, Superflower. Good stuff for the price point. Not to mention, this one is modular.

As far as CPUs go, I love the FX-6300's performance.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd6300wmhkbox

That should give you almost $300 to play with for the motherboard and ram, which is more than enough. You could squeeze a decent small SSD in there even. Or, if he planned on the CPU later on, of course you can go SLI now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post

http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/amazon/rosewill-power-supply-hive650
Rosewills are made by the same people that make Seasonic, Superflower. Good stuff for the price point. Not to mention, this one is modular.

As far as CPUs go, I love the FX-6300's performance.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd6300wmhkbox

That should give you almost $300 to play with for the motherboard and ram, which is more than enough. You could squeeze a decent small SSD in there even. Or, if he planned on the CPU later on, of course you can go SLI now.
Not doing any upgrades for probably a little while, just need a PSU and harddrive. Also yes that CPU you linked is the one I was thinking he should get when he upgrades it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post

Not doing any upgrades for probably a little while, just need a PSU and harddrive. Also yes that CPU you linked is the one I was thinking he should get when he upgrades it.
Sorry, I misread the OP. I saw 500-550, and was thinking $. My bad!

Still, my suggestion of the Rosewill Hive 650W stands, unless you were looking particularly for a 80-Plus Gold.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post

Sorry, I misread the OP. I saw 500-550, and was thinking $. My bad!

Still, my suggestion of the Rosewill Hive 650W stands, unless you were looking particularly for a 80-Plus Gold.
Hmm problem is, I can't find that PSU on tigerdirect or microcenter's website, I want to pick the parts up so I can get them immediately.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,243 Posts
Somebody please tell me I just stepped into an alternate dimension or something...

With a system like that, he might never pull more than 200W from the power supply. Taking into account upgrades and getting some decent quality, there's the XFX Core 450W (gimped cables edition) for a shade under $60:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1438595&CatId=1078

If you're spending $80 after rebate like on that Corsair TX V2 650W above (which is a very solid power supply), XFX Core 650W uses the same Seasonic internals as the Corsair TX V2, but it has a quieter fan / control and 4 PCIe connectors for SLI / Crossfire setups natively, so slightly preferred while being the same price:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=125450&CatId=1483

Actually, Tigerdirect's selection and prices suck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaj View Post

Somebody please tell me I just stepped into an alternate dimension or something...

With a system like that, he might never pull more than 200W from the power supply. Taking into account upgrades and getting some decent quality, there's the XFX Core 450W (gimped cables edition) for a shade under $60:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1438595&CatId=1078

If you're spending $80 after rebate like on that Corsair TX V2 650W above (which is a very solid power supply), XFX Core 650W uses the same Seasonic internals as the Corsair TX V2, but it has a quieter fan / control and 4 PCIe connectors for SLI / Crossfire setups natively, so slightly preferred while being the same price:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=125450&CatId=1483

Actually, Tigerdirect's selection and prices suck.
I saw him speaking of SLI, and near future upgrades... He said he had a budget of $80, so, yeah.

Breck, I agree milkeaj with the one he suggested.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post

I saw him speaking of SLI, and near future upgrades... He said he had a budget of $80, so, yeah.

Breck, I agree milkeaj with the one he suggested.
I never said anything about SLI, people just started talking about it, also just so you know I'm not a guy, so it would be she*
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaj View Post

Somebody please tell me I just stepped into an alternate dimension or something...

With a system like that, he might never pull more than 200W from the power supply. Taking into account upgrades and getting some decent quality, there's the XFX Core 450W (gimped cables edition) for a shade under $60:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1438595&CatId=1078

If you're spending $80 after rebate like on that Corsair TX V2 650W above (which is a very solid power supply), XFX Core 650W uses the same Seasonic internals as the Corsair TX V2, but it has a quieter fan / control and 4 PCIe connectors for SLI / Crossfire setups natively, so slightly preferred while being the same price:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=125450&CatId=1483

Actually, Tigerdirect's selection and prices suck.
So do you think a PSU around 500 watts or so like I thought originally would be fine for the current build and if he decides to put in some new parts like an AMD FX 6300 which obviously will require a new mobo and he'll probably get 8Gb of DDR3 ram, would it still run fine?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post

I saw that but, newegg and several other places say GTX 650 has a min requirement of 400 Wattz
You can trust the OCN PSU Calculator over others for a few reasons. First, OCN isn't trying to sell you a higher wattage, and therefore more expensive, power supply. Second, OCN caters to a specific type of customer: One who demands quality and will not skimp on an unproven PSU. Third, other sites have to account for the possibility that you'll be using any combination of other hardware in addition to the GPU. Finally, the person who made this calculator is well respected both inside our community and in the electronics industry, so you can rely on his advice.

Just make sure that the PSU that you do get is on the recommended list. Read reviews on it from multiple sources if possible, and make an informed decision. This way, you won't have to choose a higher wattage PSU for 'overhead' or any margin of safety; you'll have a quality PSU that will easily handle whatever you throw at it.

EDIT: You can even do a bit of math yourself. TDP for the Q8300 is 95W and the max power for the GTX 650 is 64W. Other components in the system will use power, but CPU and GPU are the top consumers in any system. The mainboard will consume some, but the rest is negligible. When I ran the calculator with your specs, I estimated 4 RAM sticks, 2 HDD, and 4 case fans.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow thank you all, Rep+ You have eased my fears.

@IRO-Bot I'm sorry to bother you but can you show me one like that but that's modular
biggrin.gif
?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post

Wow thank you all, Rep+ You have eased my fears.

@IRO-Bot I'm sorry to bother you but can you show me one like that but that's modular
biggrin.gif
?
You're going to pay a lot more for modularity, but I have the non-modular version of the Rosewill Capstone 450-M. It's a fantastic PSU, but right at the limit of your budget. Since it's a Newegg branded product, you probably won't be able to find it on other sites like Tiger Direct or at brick and mortar stores like Fry's or Microcenter. I'm not aware of any other good, modular PSU in the 450W class, though they may be out there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremtok View Post

You're going to pay a lot more for modularity, but I have the non-modular version of the Rosewill Capstone 450-M. It's a fantastic PSU, but right at the limit of your budget. Since it's a Newegg branded product, you probably won't be able to find it on other sites like Tiger Direct or at brick and mortar stores like Fry's or Microcenter. I'm not aware of any other good, modular PSU in the 450W class, though they may be out there.
Ah, modular was a plus but I guess you are right. Okay so can everyone in the thread agree on a PSU? This http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1102739&CatId=4294 or this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1438595&CatId=1078

Also just a side question to kremtok what do you think of this? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7564401&CatId=1078
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top