Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted a few questions but hadn't gotten around to posting here yet, so I thought it was about time to do so!

I sort of accidentally stumbled into oc'ing. I dropped out of computer gaming for a while to have a couple of kids. When I got back into the scene, I realized my current rig didn't have enough horses to play the games I wanted to play, but I didn't have the money to spend for a new system. Overclocking seemed to be a good stopgap solution. I was surprised how much extra performance I could coax out of my stock system with very little effort.

As a side effect, I started seeing all the cool possibilities and now I'm hooked. Eventually, I want to create a really sweet system, but it will take a while since two kids put a serious crimp in the computer budget. I'm not a big FPS guy, so I don't really need the raw power that a lot of you probably have or need, but it won't be long before my oldest son will (he's only 4 and he's already into computer games), so I need to learn my way around.

Anyway, thanks all for the help I've received so far and hopefully one day I'll know enough to be able to return the favor!

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
My nine year old has my second computer. She's proudly sporting the most powerful rig in her grade. I built it as a result of constantly upgrading my own system. Whatever I couldn't sell (or wouldn't sell because it was either to good or I wouldn't get enough money for it) went into her computer. You're definitely right about the crimping of the budget. It's not a tough call when I have to decide whether to buy a new gadget or pay my daughters private school. Anyhow, welcome aboard. This forum has some guys who really know how to squeeze perfomance out on a budget. About being old, I think its a matter of perspective. I'm going to be 40 this year but for a bottle of wine, thats just hitting prime.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Welcome to the boards dfscott! You quickly find that this will probably become your second home ^_^.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome to your new home at home. I know the feeling you have about kide and money and a PC. I myself amd over 40. My 3 year old plays games now on my PN and I know there will come a time when I have to build her on. I guess I will have to be like Robilar and pass my old parts to her

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfscott

I've posted a few questions but hadn't gotten around to posting here yet, so I thought it was about time to do so!

I sort of accidentally stumbled into oc'ing. I dropped out of computer gaming for a while to have a couple of kids. When I got back into the scene, I realized my current rig didn't have enough horses to play the games I wanted to play, but I didn't have the money to spend for a new system. Overclocking seemed to be a good stopgap solution. I was surprised how much extra performance I could coax out of my stock system with very little effort.

As a side effect, I started seeing all the cool possibilities and now I'm hooked. Eventually, I want to create a really sweet system, but it will take a while since two kids put a serious crimp in the computer budget. I'm not a big FPS guy, so I don't really need the raw power that a lot of you probably have or need, but it won't be long before my oldest son will (he's only 4 and he's already into computer games), so I need to learn my way around.

Anyway, thanks all for the help I've received so far and hopefully one day I'll know enough to be able to return the favor!

Hi Dfscott,

Welcome and enjoy the world of overclocking!! You're probably younger than me, LOL. But it's not the age, it's the miles... and my sig says it all

Take care, :)

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
HI and WELCOME...
Duke Unoffical Pres. of OCIng Old Farts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts