Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the IHS TIM on my 3770k just not sure whats the best way to stick the IHS back, its only 0.5mm clearance so is double sided tape neccesary or should I use a thin layer of epoxy?

Article here: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/sebuncha/20120511_532119.html

Edit: this is now another removal thread.

Gonna be overclocking on stock heatsink for now and do a comparison on tuesday when I get the TIM.

Edit: Results -10c

·
Registered
968 Posts
Double sided tape?? Wouldn't use that for anything, especially the ones shown above.

Someone in a video just slapped it on there, clamped it down.

·
Registered
808 Posts
yea the cpu clamp on the socket grabs the edges of the IHS. thats what holds it down normally so youll be fine just using that. once the TIM hardens it will hold the IHS pretty well by itself incase you ever remove the chip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post

Double sided tape?? Wouldn't use that for anything, especially the ones shown above.
Someone in a video just slapped it on there, clamped it down.
Yeah, just slap it on and clamp it down, you may want reopen it to change the TIM anyway. Why epoxy it unless you are trying to warranty it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Erm... And what are you people going to do, if Intel starts to solder them and offer to swap old paste ones for the new ones?

Or if they will introduce new model, specially selected soldered chips?

You will just waste few hundred dolars.

·
Iconoclast
30,664 Posts
While I would not completely rule out Intel starting to solder the IHSes, I don't think there is even a snowball's chance in hell of Intel exchanging current chips.

After all, the CPUs out right now operate well above and beyond spec in almost all cases.

Also, if you remove the IHS yourself, you won't need a new chip anyway (unless you break it).

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same bios settings, 1st pic is before with just gelid gc extreme although covering only 3/4 of the die up top so this is not exactly scientific, the voltages are off aswell probably due to degradation I caused it today trying to see how many volts it can handle, its 1.8v btw.

2nd pic is after TIM replacement under IHS.

Also see here for corrected temps.

What I learnt:

Use a sharp blade, doesnt have to be extremely thin, I used an original stanley knife.

Press the blade up against the IHS to not scratch the wafer and use a rocking motion starting at the corners, dont try to slice just let the rocking take care of things, if you slice you might slice the wafer, dont twist too hard though as it does bend the wafer, better to bend slightly than scratch I think.
if you happen to slice by accident thats okay as long as pressure is kept up against the IHS.
When you take the blade out it should be rubbing against the IHS not the wafer.

The 1 scratch I did get was from careless entry when I started on a new corner.

You have to push hard when rocking, the glue is pretty tough.

The only thing I worried about was touching the die I dont think it happened though.

Your blade might blunten halfway through, replace it.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Was the TIM soft enough to rub it off with rubbing alcohol? Are those temps with the stock cooler or aftermarket Heatsink? What did you end up using to put the IHS back onto the chip? If I finally upgrade I will probably be doing this at some point in time.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GC extreme is easy to take off, its very soft unlike the HeGrease I tested it against earlier.

Temps are with the stock cooler 21-22c ambient.

I just sliced off some of the glue left over cause the ends of the die wernt touching the IHS only the middle, and clamped it on, when I put it over the wafer in the socket I had to have it a bit higher cause the clamp slides it down.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts