Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what type of ram if any I should get for my set up. I currently have a gig and a 1/2 but its a 512 stick of ultra and a gig stick of unknown. Furthermore, I was wondering if I would see a boost in performance if I get good ram. I have no idea about ram so I am completely clueless. Please help me pick out some good ram to go with my system. Price range is 200$ give or take, preferably take. I would like something that will boost my current set up for gaming as well as let my system run faster overall for applications like After effects and illustrator. Thanks all. I have read the memory threads but cant seem to get a grasp of timings and such.......

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jatw
I am wondering what type of ram if any I should get for my set up. I currently have a gig and a 1/2 but its a 512 stick of ultra and a gig stick of unknown. Furthermore, I was wondering if I would see a boost in performance if I get good ram. I have no idea about ram so I am completely clueless. Please help me pick out some good ram to go with my system. Price range is 200$ give or take, preferably take. I would like something that will boost my current set up for gaming as well as let my system run faster overall for applications like After effects and illustrator. Thanks all. I have read the memory threads but cant seem to get a grasp of timings and such.......

AMDs thrive on low latency ram, Look in Yiffy griffys profile and whatever ram he has has to be good so that would be my recomendation...

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
yiffys stuff is $$$$ and hard to find....

but some PQI turbo 3200 would be good its pretty cheap, and if u can get the OCZ 3200 platinum rev2...both clock REALLY high and have great timings

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

yuppers those were the ones i was thinking about

you know both of them use the Same PCB but different chips...

both overclock about the same as well

I newegg.com searched and Yiffy's mem comes in at about 735 bucks.....eeeeesh a bit out of my price range. I dunno if he has that exact stuff but WOW!!!!!!!!!! thats F-ing expensive!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
from the list above and this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-896&depa=0 any suggestions? I think that 250 is a bit steep but if the price justifies the speed and impact on my system then Ill get the higher one thank you all for your help.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I have the first revision of Kingston HyperX based on Winbound BH-5 memory chips, that's why it clocks so well, the later versions use Micron and Samsung chips that aren't nearly as good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts