Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get your opinions guys!

Deciding on a build for a new gaming PC after lots of reading of benchmarks, various forums and some conversations with friends.

I think I'm going mini:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Mobo: ASRock Z77E-ITX
RAM: G.Skill 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133Mhz DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX670 Overclocked, 2GB
PSU: Corsair HX650
HDD1: Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD
HDD2: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
Cooling (CPU): Cooler Master Hyper 212
Cooling (case): Nexus Real Silent White LED 120mm Case Fan x 4
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy (White)

Things to think about:

- Is 8GB of RAM still enough these days, or should I be considering 16GB?
- PSU powerful enough, and "future proof" enough? The cost vs wattage increase doesn't hold up well as it goes higher than 650, IMO.
- Will all this hardware physically fit into the smaller case? Heatsink? PSU? From what I've read all signs point to yes.
- Single GPU solution - will it be powerful enough to run games at max settings at 2560*1440, if I decide to go down the path of a new monitor? Probably not all games, but I'll see how I go and maybe try out my friend's monitor on the machine before I buy one and do some tests. Can continue to run 1920*1200 in the mean time.
- This won't allow me to ever run SLI until I upgrade again entirely in a few years (new mboard and case at the very least). Am I OK with this? I suppose I can continue to upgrade the single GPU.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Premium Member
7,259 Posts
Hey mete, the build looks pretty good. Here are a few things:
*8GB is ok. 16GB can't hurt, but they're not necessary for a gaming rig - one we'll have a few high texture games that use multithreading maybe we'll see the need for more than 8GB
*quite enough, I'd even go for a smaller one (400W or so). The 650W is able to run SLI 670s. It seems that in the future things are evolving towards lowering power consumption anyway
*I think so, but it's a good idea to check the schematics
*2560x1440 is doable on the 670 for most games with max details, but not all (and it's not going to get any better). That said you don't really have a choice as SLI isn't possible and faster cars consume a bit more. OCing should help. 1900*1200 should be doable. Last thing about the GPU, in most games the difference between Max and the next-lower setting is very hard to see (Crysis 2 for ex.), so "max details" isn't really mandatory imo
*single GPU is the best way anyway. When the time comes to upgrade just sell the current GPU and use the IGP for a few days until the new card ships
wink.gif

cheers

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
8GB is still more than enough, just get 1600 speed, their no performance increase in getting higher speed, just make sure they have low height heatspreader, less problem with cpu aftermarket cooler.

for HDD 2, just get an ordinary hard disk as storage, the z77 rst feature will boost the hard disk speed, using the ssd caching.

the savings get gtx 680 or better a sapphire 7970 OC.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If "mini" is what you're after just get a Silverstone TJ08-E with a micro-ATX motherboard for cheaper overall.

The Prodigy's effective exterior volume is 36.3L including the stupid flex handles. It's anything but "mini".

The Silverstone TJ08-E's exterior volume is 30.2L (17% smaller), plus you have more room to work with, better case airflow and room for SLI/CFX and really solid CPU cooling clearance.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
friend'scatdied has a point a bitfenix prodigy might be itx case but more likely its a micro-atx size

If you plan to SLI later choose the silverstone TJ08 ~ $99 AUD for the same price as the prodigy then pick this mobo ASUS P8Z77-M PRO Motherboard ~ $134, its $ 30 AUD cheaper than the asrock itx, plus you get a true SLI/Xfire later x8/x8, yet maintaining that smaller size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fair points about the Silverstone. After having inspected the Prodigy in-store I'm pretty happy with it and I think I'll stick with it, but thanks for the suggestions.

I think I've settled on a build - quite a lot has changed since I last posted. I've been researching a hell of a lot.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-I-Deluxe
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 low profile 1.35v
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX670 DirectCU II
PSU: Seasonic X-660 80Plus Gold 660W
HDD1: Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD
HDD2: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
Cooling (CPU): Noctua NH-C12P SE14
Cooling (case): BitFenix Spectre Pro 230mm, Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM x 2
Case: BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX (white)
Fan Controller: BitFenix Recon

What do you think? Apart from some sleeved extensions and some cable management I'm just about ready to put through an order.

·
Registered
65 Posts
About your SSDs. Get two of the same size so you can run them in a raid0 for much better performance than a single SSD system drive.

If you go with 2x 128GB SSDs you could spend what you save on a 1TB HD for backup and misc storage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.