Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all..

Middle-aged geek and seasoned professional here.
Been geeki'n since the early-mid 90's, multiple builds under my belt and currently in the middle of my latest.

Have been to these boards more times than I can count over the years as I've always found solid and reliable information therein.
Today, I decided to join the party. :)

Currently in the middle of the following build:

Corsair 5000D Airflow
Asus Maximus XIII Hero ATX LGA1200 for 11th gen Intel
Intel i9 11900k CPU
32BG Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL DDR4
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid (7 months in the queue)
EVGA Supernova 1000w G2 Gold PSU
NZXT Kraken Z73 340mm
Handful of Corsair QL120 RGB fans, w/ a CoPro and a USB 2.0 hub thrown in for good measure.

I don't see a whole lot of dual AIO builds in the wild, and since the queue popped for the 3090 hybrid, it drove my decision
to give it a shot.

So far, so good, although I'm undecided on the gfx rad placement. (y)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
That’s a substantial setup. 3090/11900K guy myself. Welcome to the players club! Now time to dump $2K into a fancy monitor and custom loop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a substantial setup. 3090/11900K guy myself. Welcome to the players club! Now time to dump $2K into a fancy monitor and custom loop.
Thank you, and I agree.. I have been debating and researching my sweet spot for new monitors. I currently utilize a triple 24" setup, so I would prefer to stick with that, but Ive struggled finding a 24" that checks all the boxes and the 1-2 small but important nuances in relation to my physical space. I work and play at home, so the triple monitors provide that multi-tasking madness (and flexibility) that I need.

That said, I am prepared to drop some change on the right ones.

Ive not yet broken my cherry on the custom loop, but definitely something to work towards.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

·
Still kinda lost
3,452 Posts
Go big or go home, either an odyssey G9 or an LG C1 48 inch

And welcome to the forums. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nicely spec'd rig there. Welcome OC! Seasoned tech here too, both in age and experience, lol. I went from three 25" HP Omens to a single 34" Viotek 144hz and I am so glad. It's not expensive either, in comparison to the rest of your rig.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go big or go home, either an odyssey G9 or an LG C1 48 inch

And welcome to the forums. :D
Thank you. A friend of mine pushed me to get this exact display. It was on sale, maybe 3 weeks ago and was (I think) 899.99 OFF, so it would have been a good buy. I think its what, 1899.99 retail?
Anyway, he's not a techie, and wasn't able to tell me or determine if I could split the single (physical) display into 3 separate screens/desktops. Because I work from home, I need to separate desktop from desktop, and have 2 pc's (1 desktop, 1 laptop) connected to 2 of my 3 displays, and just switch the channel for work while still have 1 screen with my desktop display?
That make sense??
Anyway, that's why I just kept looking. Not being exactly sure if/how that worked was the deciding factor. I work in cybersecurity, I NEED multiple displays/environments.

Nicely spec'd rig there. Welcome OC! Seasoned tech here too, both in age and experience, lol. I went from three 25" HP Omens to a single 34" Viotek 144hz and I am so glad. It's not expensive either, in comparison to the rest of your rig.
Thank you, those Omens looked nice. I reviewed a 27" qhd 1440p 165mhz

I've been being really careful with picking and choosing displays, sight unseen. Everyone has their own little taste and quirks and what I might like, might make you cringe.
Its resulted in a lot of review reading while trying to ascertain if my wants/needs are aligned with whomever wrote the review, lol..

Also, and I know this might sound ridiculous.. unless I buy a new desk (which isn't out of the realm of possibility) I have physical space req's with my current desk. Its an old studio desk with a riser, and I wouldn't be able to fit 3x27" displays.
I could fit a single 27" in the center, and 2x24" on left/right side, but Its been suggested to not mix resolutions on an extended desktop.
So that currently limits me to 3x24" or 3x25"...unless I buy a new desk. Again, I could.. but Im trying to spread out this investment, so my other half doesn't kill me in my sleep, since I've already dropped 4k and turned the dining room into a build lab, hehee..
I also have to worry about the base, since the physical desk space isn't infinite. To that point, I've considered getting vesa mounts/arms.

I'm at this point overall where everything I currently have has worked like a charm for the last several years, and updating means, update "ALL OF IT". pc, displays, desk, chair..
This is a classic case of "opening pandora's box"

That was long-winded..just givin you an idea of where I'm at.

·
Registered
508 Posts

I've been being really careful with picking and choosing displays, sight unseen. Everyone has their own little taste and quirks and what I might like, might make you cringe.
Its resulted in a lot of review reading while trying to ascertain if my wants/needs are aligned with whomever wrote the review, lol..

Also, and I know this might sound ridiculous.. unless I buy a new desk (which isn't out of the realm of possibility) I have physical space req's with my current desk. Its an old studio desk with a riser, and I wouldn't be able to fit 3x27" displays.
I could fit a single 27" in the center, and 2x24" on left/right side, but Its been suggested to not mix resolutions on an extended desktop.
So that currently limits me to 3x24" or 3x25"...unless I buy a new desk. Again, I could.. but Im trying to spread out this investment, so my other half doesn't kill me in my sleep, since I've already dropped 4k and turned the dining room into a build lab, hehee..
I also have to worry about the base, since the physical desk space isn't infinite. To that point, I've considered getting vesa mounts/arms.

I'm at this point overall where everything I currently have has worked like a charm for the last several years, and updating means, update "ALL OF IT". pc, displays, desk, chair..

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya man. It takes a lot of effort to make changes to a setup. Ive moved one of mine three times in the last year. It gets better every time though, even without a lot of financial investment. Unless you game, multi resolutions isn't a big deal in my experience. I guess I would stick with your LCD set up until you get exactly what you want and need, because only you know what you want in the end. I got lucky with my Viotek ultrawide. I just read reviews and it matched my budget. I also own a Lenovo 32" 1440p 75hz (for my workstation) and an Acer 21" 1080 75hz (for my Windows 11 rig). I've probably owned 3 dozen in the past and this is where I ended up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I hear ya man. It takes a lot of effort to make changes to a setup. Ive moved one of mine three times in the last year. It gets better every time though, even without a lot of financial investment. Unless you game, multi resolutions isn't a big deal in my experience. I guess I would stick with your LCD set up until you get exactly what you want and need, because only you know what you want in the end. I got lucky with my Viotek ultrawide. I just read reviews and it matched my budget. I also own a Lenovo 32" 1440p 75hz (for my workstation) and an Acer 21" 1080 75hz (for my Windows 11 rig). I've probably owned 3 dozen in the past and this is where I ended up.
[/QUOTE]

It does take effort, but its fun. I probably wouldn't do it if it wasn't.
I do game, and I run hacking and pen testing VM's with a server and endpoint host.. like a mini-lab env.
I also enjoy general benching and performance tweaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts