Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good board for the Sandy Bridge CPUs? I plan on stuffing an i5 2500k in it. I'd like to keep the board at about 200 dollars. A little over would be okay.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
I would do the P8P67 Pro or P8Z68-V Pro depending on if you want the P67 or Z68 chipset.

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3
View Post

I would do the P8P67 Pro or P8Z68-V Pro depending on if you want the P67 or Z68 chipset.

What exactly is the difference? I'd prefer to go with a board that gives me the higher OC. :x

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandestfail9190
View Post

What exactly is the difference? I'd prefer to go with a board that gives me the higher OC. :x

Z68 you get to use the integrated graphics, Lucid Virtu, and SSD caching (which is worthless if you're using an SSD more than 64GB or want to use it as a primary boot drive). I don't even use SSD caching. It's called Intel Smart Response Technology if you want to read about it. Basically P67 will suffice for most users I think, I would be using P67 if I didn't get a stupid low price combo deal with this board. Either board will overclock the same.

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

View Post

Z68 you get to use the integrated graphics, Lucid Virtu, and SSD caching (which is worthless if you're using an SSD more than 64GB or want to use it as a primary boot drive). I don't even use SSD caching. It's called Intel Smart Response Technology if you want to read about it. Basically P67 will suffice for most users I think, I would be using P67 if I didn't get a stupid low price combo deal with this board. Either board will overclock the same.

Oh okay then. So P67 is the way for me.
I just want to know, is MSI okay in the intel area? I've read that they are doing pretty bad with AMD. :x

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Oh okay then. So P67 is the way for me.
I just want to know, is MSI okay in the intel area? I've read that they are doing pretty bad with AMD. :x

Yea I wouldn't go any lower than the P67A-GD65 though. Oddly enough Newegg has the Z68A-GD65 for cheaper and free shipping. Basically the same board with Z68. No point not to get it since it's cheaper, even if you're not going to use the extra stuff (kind of like me with my Z68 board).

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

View Post

Yea I wouldn't go any lower than the P67A-GD65 though. Oddly enough Newegg has the Z68A-GD65 for cheaper and free shipping. Basically the same board with Z68. No point not to get it since it's cheaper, even if you're not going to use the extra stuff (kind of like me with my Z68 board).

They are basically the same though right?
I won't be missing anything if I go Z68? xD

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Everything on the P67 GD65 is on the Z68 GD65. The Z68 has the Lucid Virtu I think but not SSD caching.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Other way around chief. You would be missing features if you went with P67 instead of Z68.

Quote:

Originally Posted by N3Xus
View Post

Everything on the P67 GD65 is on the Z68 GD65. The Z68 has the Lucid Virtu I think but not SSD caching.

Nope, it supports SSD caching just like all the other boards. Check page B-14 of the manual, which explains how to set it up.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm using the MSI P67-GD65 but I can't really reccomend it too much because it has certain issues with voltage control (higher vcore than what you set in bios) and it doesnt scale back the voltage if you OC using the turbo... So in the end I reccomend Asus more it just has a better UEFI and more options on overvoltage

·
Registered
926 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Okay. So Asus over MSI for some safety reasons? o:

Well not really safety reasons (board doesnt explode like AMD MSI mobos used to XD) but Asus boards I've used are just more refined and need less "messing" around to achieve the OC you want

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Sabertooth is a gimmick to me, I actually laughed when I saw that stupid covering over the whole PCB they use. Can't comment on the MSI boards, but this Asus P8Z68-V Pro has actually been one of the best boards I've ever used. I love overclocking via offset voltage, so I idle at like .85v or something at 1.6ghz, and then go to 4.7ghz at my needed voltage seamlessly.

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts