Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geeze I'm starting to think Linux hates me. lol. I have the display working but now I can't get the net to connect. Try to have it auto detect but no luck, then I try to it myself. I entered the ip, gateway, and mask, but no luck still

I have a cable modem. Surfboard SB5120, and its a LAN connection to the University.
thanks for help

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
How exactly does your computer connect to the Internet? Do you have cable service, and use that surfboard modem, or are you plugged directly into a university ethernet line?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerousHobo

Geeze I'm starting to think Linux hates me. lol. I have the display working but now I can't get the net to connect. Try to have it auto detect but no luck, then I try to it myself. I entered the ip, gateway, and mask, but no luck still

I have a cable modem. Surfboard SB5120, and its a LAN connection to the University.
thanks for help

you should have used dhcp like me lol, that way it queries the server for an ip...no configuration there
it should be a default setting.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tryed dhcp put it did not connect me.

Cable service and use the surfboard modem

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, just to add:
I found on Motorola's website that the modem is compatible with linux when ussing the ethernet cable and not the USB cable. And the ethernet cable is the one I use.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
/bin/sh/ ifconfig : Command not reconized

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, /sbin/ifconfig -a worked and gave the following:

eth0:1 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:11:8B:88:F3
inet addr: 24.210.244.255 Bcast: 24.210.247.255 Mask: 255.255.252.0