Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M'kay, my little sister has been pestering me to use the PS3's web browser. She plays all sorts of crappy, cookie-tastic games, like Webkinz or Moshimonsters, that leave a normal computer up to it's eyeballs in cookies, to the point where a hard reboot is neccesary to get it unjammed. I don't want a brand new PS3 screwed up, is it safe at all for her to play those kinds of websites on the PS3's web browser?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ysbl
View Post

M'kay, my little sister has been pestering me to use the PS3's web browser. She plays all sorts of crappy, cookie-tastic games, like Webkinz or Moshimonsters, that leave a normal computer up to it's eyeballs in cookies, to the point where a hard reboot is neccesary to get it unjammed. I don't want a brand new PS3 screwed up, is it safe at all for her to play those kinds of websites on the PS3's web browser?

On top of the cookies she's probably loading the PC with viruses and another nasty's...my sister does the same thing when she plays her computer "games"...she's not allowed to touch any of my rigs

It won't hurt the PS3....its not running windows and if you can you should keep her on the PS3 as often as possible unless you like your PC's compromised or formatted often

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Or just load Linux on it and have her play her web games on that, and it won't touch even your PS3 installation.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, she's usually on her own comp, so I couldn't care less about her screwing that up... But anytime she does it on a PS3 it runs slowly, refuses to let me join any online games, and sometimes the video shuts off. So I don't know what to do

·
Registered
371 Posts
PS3 browser safe for this kinda things.
Also you can load Linux on your PS3 to make fully operational like PC, I'm not so sure if you can do that for slim version www.yellowdoglinux.com

Quote:

View Post

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, she's usually on her own comp, so I couldn't care less about her screwing that up... But anytime she does it on a PS3 it runs slowly, refuses to let me join any online games, and sometimes the video shuts off. So I don't know what to do

Your sister has not infected your PS3....if the PS3 is exhibiting these sort of problems its either FW/Software based or hardware based

You probably have a lowly internet connection or the players/servers you are connecting to have a lowly connection....or are far away from you geographically...or the game is just buggy...is it a beta and or demo?

Every now and then my PS3 when i start up a game it will start without a video feed...audio plays fine and i can even tell based on menu music/sound that i can start a game and its playing fine but i will have no video out from the PS3...

Just have to restart the system and it works fine....not sure what the problem could be caused by...might be the Firmware or the Hardware...its happened on quite a few of my games so i know its not the software

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by c00lkatz View Post
Or just load Linux on it and have her play her web games on that, and it won't touch even your PS3 installation.
Or, just run Linux on your sister's computer (thus bypassing the PS3), and then there would be no worries.

I agree with previous statements. It is probably not the cookies that are causing the problems, mainly the viruses which come along with the game, which Linux would fix for you. Ubuntu 9.10 is a very easy install if you would like to install it on your sister's computer.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Set up VMWare that loads a linux browser and simply resets everytime it loads. So no matter how bad she screws it up the next time is a fresh install...

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheoxs
View Post

Set up VMWare that loads a linux browser and simply resets everytime it loads. So no matter how bad she screws it up the next time is a fresh install...

Or a Live CD of a distro, but same concept.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts