Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have RAID 0 with two 74gig Raptors (SATA) on the Intel ICH7R Chipset and Windows XP runs just fine... This is all nice and dandy until I want to install Ubuntu (linux) on my computer. I forgot that linux would require drivers and there is no support out there for the Intel ICH7R driver... that I know of. So... I thought of a solution. Is it possible to add another hard drive (SATA) and add it to the ICH7R without it being incorporated into the RAID array already set up AND boot linux from there? I would test it if I had a hard drive, but I don't want to buy the hard drive until I know it would work.

Thanks for following my ramblings...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also,

If anyone knows of another thread with any of my issues that I couldn't find, you can point me there too.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
You can definitely add another HDD. If you've got more Sata ports, use them or an IDE drive would work as well.
I don't know about booting Linux as I've never used it and whether a dual boot could specify another drive. At worst though, whenever you wanted to boot Linux you'd just have to change the boot sequence via the bios.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.