Overclock.net banner

Another RROD LOL. New revision one hopes

2060 Views 45 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  ENTERPRISE
3
Hey there guys.

Im not sure why I am posting this ...but I am lol

My Cousin popped round my house the other day and mentioned that his LAUNCH Xbox360 ( Xenon ) had finally given up on him with the RROD. I am fairly impressed that it lasted that long to be honest.......

I then said that due to it getting the RROD that it should still be within its 3 Yr warranty and will get it repaired for free ! WOOT. I decided to go to the Xbox website and register the Xbox so I could place a Repair order with them, Life was just not going to be that simple. I entered the Serial number in during registration and it through up an error and the Serial number could not be processed


I was then directed to an MS call center and had to talk to some annoying ass computerized women....Who as it happens was no help to me. Every selection I made over the phone would just refer me back to www.xbox.com lol.....In my case this was bugger all help.

After wasting 15 miniuts on some stupid women computer I FINALLY got to speak to something with a pulse.


It was not over................

I told the Customer REP that all I needed to do was to get the console registered so I could process a repair order due to the RROD. So I told him the serial number of the 360 and he comes back saying ''Hmmm its throwing up an error on our system, Is this console by anychance second hand'' Which indeed it was, Then came the odd thing. He told me that he would now need to transfer all the registration details and ownership of the 360 into my name.....Which is great. However is that not a little bit of a security flaw ?

Surely that means I could go into a mates house and take the serial number down and just claim ownership of it just from calling MS lmao....I find that kind of naughty.

Anyway thought I would share that with you guys.

I wonder if my cousin will get a Flacon revision...I should think so...Even better if its a Jasper.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Nice, microsoft security ftw. Just like registering/activating any product. Don't have the serial? No big deal, call Microsoft they'll give it to you. Lol
Yeah a major flaw lol. I just find it strange that I could do it no questinos asked lol....
It's Indian representatives with American names. That's what I found funny. Hi my name is John, how can I help you today? And the guy sounded straight up Indian.

I had an RROD recently too, they took care of it sent my Xbox back pretty fast, let's hope it doesn't die on me again
See less See more
Yeah I have had that to but the guy I spoke to was English...Wow
Howdy,

The only boards that get returned to customers after repairs are OPUS boards, you wont get any other board after a repair unfortunately. I had the same hopes, ended up with an OPUS, called them up to find out they only supply OPUS Mobo's for repairs.

Cheers,
Flux
Not uncommon for this to happen. I had to call up once when my friend's original Xbox started throwing some errors. It was bought from a pawn shop and was already registered, but without hesitation registered it to me.
Quote:


Originally Posted by Flux
View Post

Howdy,

The only boards that get returned to customers after repairs are OPUS boards, you wont get any other board after a repair unfortunately. I had the same hopes, ended up with an OPUS, called them up to find out they only supply OPUS Mobo's for repairs.

Cheers,
Flux

Oh really...Oh right fair enough, I will be interested to see if we get an OPUS back.
See less See more
Last time when I sent in one of mine for repair, they sent me someone else's and put in a new Lite-On Drive in my elite.
3
Quote:


Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE
View Post

I was then directed to an MS call center and had to talk to some annoying ass computerized women....Who as it happens was no help to me. Every selection I made over the phone would just refer me back to www.xbox.com lol.....In my case this was bugger all help.

After wasting 15 miniuts on some stupid women computer I FINALLY got to speak to something with a pulse.


You're doing it wrong.

When you speak to a computer thing, just spam jibberish, sing to it and press buttons. It will go about 5-7 times telling you "I'm sorry, I didn't get all of that, could you say it again?"

Eventually it will get you to a live person. This is how I got off the phone with them sending RROD console within 10min
See less See more
2
Quote:


Originally Posted by justarealguy
View Post

You're doing it wrong.

When you speak to a computer thing, just spam jibberish, sing to it and press buttons. It will go about 5-7 times telling you "I'm sorry, I didn't get all of that, could you say it again?"

Eventually it will get you to a live person. This is how I got off the phone with them sending RROD console within 10min


Yeah good point...The Computer women did not get what I was saying half the time lol.
See less See more
Microsoft doesn't return consoles with new revisions. They definitely wont return a console back as a Jasper revision.

They will repair the original, or else they will send out an Opus.
Quote:


Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

Microsoft doesn't return consoles with new revisions. They definitely wont return a console back as a Jasper revision.

They will repair the original, or else they will send out an Opus.

Does not make much sense in my book. In the ase where they have to send out a new console I do not see why they dont send out the newer revisions thus meaning its less likely to break and then MS haivng to spend out more money on another repair lol...Meh owel.
See less See more
I, for one, am very glad MS does this. The Xbox 360 I have now was actually purchased by my friend and still belongs to him, however I may end up purchasing it permanently from him down the line. Before reading this thread I was worried that I'd be screwed if it threw an RROD since I didn't purchase the system and don't have a sales receipt or anything. Seeing as it's a Zephyr, it more than likely will RROD within the next year.
See less See more
Quote:


Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE
View Post

Does not make much sense in my book. In the ase where they have to send out a new console I do not see why they dont send out the newer revisions thus meaning its less likely to break and then MS haivng to spend out more money on another repair lol...Meh owel.

They don't send out brand new revisions. They send out the same console, repaired, or they send you an Opus revision. Maybe by now they are sending Falcon's, but those still fall. They do not send out new Jaspers, and they probably won't ever. They lose more money that way. The reason they send an Opus is because is savaged parts from other consoles and they add new heatsinks. I don't know how else to explain it if that doesn't make sense.

They've never sent out a brand new console back to anyone. There's a reason why the Opus revision is made.
See less See more
Quote:


Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

They don't send out brand new revisions. They send out the same console, repaired, or they send you an Opus revision. Maybe by now they are sending Falcon's, but those still fall. They do not send out new Jaspers, and they probably won't ever. They lose more money that way. The reason they send an Opus is because is savaged parts from other consoles and they add new heatsinks. I don't know how else to explain it if that doesn't make sense.

They've never sent out a brand new console back to anyone. There's a reason why the Opus revision is made.

Makes sense. However its not really logical. I would have thought they would atleast provide Falcons as they are a little less plagued by the RROD lol thus there less likely to get a console returned again from the same customer with regards to the RROD. At the end of the day Im not to bothered aslong as it comes back working lol.
See less See more
2
Quote:


Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE
View Post

Makes sense. However its not really logical. I would have thought they would atleast provide Falcons as they are a little less plagued by the RROD lol thus there less likely to get a console returned again from the same customer with regards to the RROD. At the end of the day Im not to bothered aslong as it comes back working lol.

Yeah, as long as it's working, who cares? Technically, an Opus is basically the same as a Falcon, considering they both have die shrinks.

Still, I believe they add new heatsinks and fix the die on the CPU, but I think the GPU stays at 80nm. Either way, you will get a working console sent back, which is all that matters.
See less See more
Ive had my Opus for about 4 months without any dramas at all, no freezing, no drive issues, no xbox live issues, nothing. it runs alot quieter than the Zephyr i had originally. Its been running now for about 5 hours non stop with no problems, the longest I have played non stop recently was 9h48m with a hitch.

CPU on the opus board is 65nm and the gpu is 90nm, no revisions have a 80nm GPU
source

cheers,
Flux
2
Quote:


Originally Posted by Flux
View Post

Ive had my Opus for about 4 months without any dramas at all, no freezing, no drive issues, no xbox live issues, nothing. it runs alot quieter than the Zephyr i had originally. Its been running now for about 5 hours non stop with no problems, the longest I have played non stop recently was 9h48m with a hitch.

CPU on the opus board is 65nm and the gpu is 90nm, no revisions have a 80nm GPU
source

cheers,
Flux

I meant 90nm. I got it confused with the 80nm on-chip RAM. Small error. Opus has the same motherboard as a Falcon.

I have a huge thread on revisions, btw.
See less See more
its all good, as it happens i was reading that wiki at the same time, was handy.

cheers,
Flux
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top