Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CONTEST CLOSED!

Congratulations to "this n00b again" for being the first person with the minimum rep requirement of five points to answer correctly.

Answer explanations follow:

1. "Pray for leave for the good of the Service / as much and as oft as may be." While some people quoted me the entire verse that begins with "When a ship that is tired returneth", it is the final line that my Enlisted men would repeat to me frequently when asking for time off, and thus was sufficient for these purposes.

2. Bilger's Gate, gate 3. When you approach Gate 3 (assuming it is open, as it secures at Taps) you will notice two entrances: the large vehicle gate and a small passenger gate a few paces to the north.

While traffic through the vehicle gate is common, it was not always there; for many years only the passenger gate existed, and it was the point of entry for Midshipmen who separated from the Academy either voluntarily or for cause. As such, no Midshipman exits though Gate 3 via the passenger gate, even though the vehicle gate closes earlier than it. If you returned late from liberty and found the vehicle gate secured, you walked 6 blocks to Gate 1!

"dejanh" was so very close; I kept expecting you to edit your post with the quote at any moment!

Much <3 to all participants. If you ever find yourself in Annapolis, Maryland, be sure to visit "The Yard". The campus is beautiful and the grounds are soaked in history.

Like several other people here, I have an additional SC2 beta kit for a giveaway. However, I am not willing to cast it to chance or the whims of a random number generator.

As a graduate of the United States Naval Academy I am proud of my Alma Mater. The first person with at least 5 points of rep to answer the following two trivia questions correctly gets the key via PM:

1. How does Admiral Hopwood feel about shore leave? Quote his famous words!

2. What is the nickname and number of the gate through which Midshipmen and Graduates would only pass via the vehicle entrance -- never, ever the small side gate?

I will check back when I return home from work, and again in the morning. If nobody gets both right by 0930EST 19MAR2010 the key will go to the first person who answered at least one correctly. If nobody answers any correctly the key will go to the 7th-to-last person who posted before I check for the last time!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
1."As a word of advice, we include 'The Laws of the Navy' /nvm i don't know these questions
2. "Don't know"

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
1: "So shall ye, if perchance ye grow weary,
In the uttermost parts of the sea,
Pray for leave, for the good of the Service,
As much and as oft as may be."

2: Gate 1, "Will come back" or "Ironsides"

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
who did u give it to?

and here is my second guess for the first question

As a word of advice, we include 'The Laws of the Navy' by Admiral R.A. Hopwood, R.N.(ret.). These twenty-seven laws contain words of wisdom that few of you will appreciate fully now, words which you may wish you had heeded twenty years from now. Read these laws, then apply them. See how those above you apply these rules--and how they sometimes disregard them--and the consequences. Be alert to learn from others; only through experience will your understanding of others broaden. You will become a richer and fuller person, a better naval officer.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
1. "As a word of advice, we include 'The Laws of the Navy' by Admiral R.A. Hopwood, R.N.(ret.). These twenty-seven laws contain words of wisdom that few of you will appreciate fully now, words which you may wish you had heeded twenty years from now. Read these laws, then apply them. See how those above you apply these rules--and how they sometimes disregard them--and the consequences. Be alert to learn from others; only through experience will your understanding of others broaden. You will become a richer and fuller person, a better naval officer."

2. Gate 1, "Will come back"

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts

******** EDIT ********

1) "So shall thou, lest, perchance, thou grow weary
Pray for leave, for the good of the Service

2) Bilger's Gate: The passenger gate at Gate 3

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by benyu View Post
says pm.. stop giving wrong answers to people ...
No! Post in the thread!

Nobody have given me a correct answer that is complete. One person is very, very close. I will take edits, but the person with the first correct answer wins, and an edit will push back the time that is considered complete...

I'm leaving work to go home. Next check tonight around 2100EST or so...

·
Registered
3 Posts
From "The Laws of the Navy"
"So shall thou, lest, perchance, thou grow weary
Pray for leave, for the good of the Service
??
2. Bilger's Gate 3

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
1. "When a ship that is tired returneth,
With the signs of the seas showing plain;
Men place her in dock for a season,
And her speed she reneweth again.

So shall ye, if perchance ye grow weary,
As much and as oft as may be. "

2. "Bilger's Gate" Gate #3

PM'd

·
Registered
33 Posts
1) "So shall ye, if perchance ye grow weary,

2) Bilger's Gate 3

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
1. "Pray for leave, for the good of the Service

You can derive from this that the Admiral considers that requests for shore leave are for the good of the Service.

2. Gate 1, "Will Come Back".

Gate 1 has both pedestrian and vehicle access, and you mentioned that they would only pass through it by vehicle -- which suggests there's also pedestrian access, but they would never use it.

Thanks for the opportunity! Please take edit times into account when deciding D;

1 - 20 of 21 Posts