Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems that once again I have failed to learn from my mistakes. Yesterday I moved my loop from an older case in to a Obsidian 800D case and connected everything up. I ran the loop for 24 hours without any leaks and so started to connect up all of the power to the board and cards. Whilst it was powered down a clamp came lose on my radiator and spilled a bunch of coolant on my board and graphics cards. I cleaned it up as best I could and waited 4 hours and then tried to power it on. Nada, zip. I know that the power supply is fine because when I short it I can get the pump and fans working, it just won't power on the PC.
doh.gif

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
Ouch i must be one of the luckyest sob or my asus likes water i leaked on my board 4 times doing dumb stuff lol and every time worked perfect.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Four hours is probably not enough, did you take the GPU's out of the slots and check the slots? Dang, hate it when that happens, hope it turns out to be something simple to fix like you forgot to plug/seat something correctly.

Does anything smell shorted? It's usually a good sign if there is no burnt smell and always bad if there is. I fried a $200 SSD and my DVD drive a couple weeks ago when a 4 pin molex to 2 SATA power cable's pins came out of the molex I must have put them back in crossed.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Might be water in the socket. I'd suggest removing the block and double checking.

And then, let it dry for 24 hours before powering up.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilmore62;12059521
Four hours is probably not enough, did you take the GPU's out of the slots and check the slots? Dang, hate it when that happens, hope it turns out to be something simple to fix like you forgot to plug/seat something correctly.
This.

Sidenote-only reason I like my Raven...small leaks off my block will only drip onto the solid metal RAM heatspreaders away from exposed PCBs.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Use a hair dryer and completely bone-dry every component before you attempt to power it on. If you don't smell anything burnt, that's a good sign. Chances are, nothing is damaged, you just need to get the moisture out.

After you dry everything out, if it still doesn't turn on, try removing components (video card, ram, etc) and start checking beep codes (or check your LED POST if you have one)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaneline;12059889
Use a hair dryer and completely bone-dry every component before you attempt to power it on. If you don't smell anything burnt, that's a good sign. Chances are, nothing is damaged, you just need to get the moisture out.

After you dry everything out, if it still doesn't turn on, try removing components (video card, ram, etc) and start checking beep codes (or check your LED POST if you have one)
No beep codes as there is no power going to the board. There is a light on the front of my box on the power switch but when I press it, it does nothing. It was done last night and I wont get the chance to try again till tomorrow so it will have been 48 hours since the spill when I next try. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
yeah, use a hair dryer, then you wont have to wait 24 hours, it'll dry it quick

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
When i had leaks i used compressed air to to spray under stuff like heatsinks and around the cpu socket to make sure the water was gone.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'd be careful with a hairdryer and not use too hot a setting. You can try taking out the CMOS battery also to clear anything that might prevent it from posting. I spilled a glass of water on a laptop many years ago and made matters worse trying to dry it with my bunk heater. Ended up melting some of the keys off the keyboard. Was driving along with the lappy laying in front of my bunk heater and keys started popping off like popcorn Lol.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Whenever you have a spill, dont try to speed things up. Let the components dry for several days. Its a pain to wait, but itl be worth the wait

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Once you try to power it on and it will not come on its 99.99% toast(miracles do happen). You should have waited a couple days before trying to power it on.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Purely out of curiosity, what size tubing and barbs were you using?

I only ask that as I have redone this and every loop before it a solid 10-15 times, and have yet to have a leak. In the same breath, I only use 7/16 tubing over 1/2 barbs, so it's very very tight seal.

I'm very curious. I did however once have a buncha liquid spill into my top case vent years ago when I had an antec 900. I held it in front of a hairdryer on low setting for about 4 hours, and then let it sit for 24 hours before I tried to reassemble it.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Was your computer lying down or standing up when the spill occurred? I have had a few spills before but never on the motherboard while it was upright. As a general rule of thumb, if my case has components and water in it, I never have it on its side, just to be safe. Just because a loop is leak free whilst upright, doesn't mean it will be leak free when lying down. That, unfortunately, is spoken from experience.

There was only one instance in which my components died after a spill and that wasn't even an immediate death. What did you use to clean the hardware?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomepatrol
View Post

Once you try to power it on and it will not come on its 99.99% toast(miracles do happen). You should have waited a couple days before trying to power it on.

That's not true at all, especially if there is no burnt smell. Spilling water on a component is basically shorting out connections between components. If a component detects a short, there are built in switches and resistors to limit and divert the current for protection. A good case-in-point is shorting out your motherboard on the motherboard tray. Just because you short out the motherboard, doesn't mean it's dead. As soon as you rectify the short underneath the motherboard, it works just fine.

What is detrimental is when the current exceeds the limit of the resistors and switches within the affected circuit. That's when you fry things and smell bad stuff. He only waited 4 hours, which means the liquid was still shorting out the affected circuit(s). Once he dries everything out completely, there's a decent chance the components will work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderm0nkey;12060555
Was your computer lying down or standing up when the spill occurred? I have had a few spills before but never on the motherboard while it was upright. As a general rule of thumb, if my case has components and water in it, I never have it on its side, just to be safe. Just because a loop is leak free whilst upright, doesn't mean it will be leak free when lying down. That, unfortunately, is spoken from experience.

There was only one instance in which my components died after a spill and that wasn't even an immediate death. What did you use to clean the hardware?
My PC was standing up but my radiator is in the top of the case so spilt down mainly on to the GPU's but also on to the mobo. I used tissue paper and ear buds to clean the spill. It looked pretty dry but obviously not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhaneline
View Post

What is detrimental is when the current exceeds the limit of the resistors and switches within the affected circuit. That's when you fry things and smell bad stuff. He only waited 4 hours, which means the liquid was still shorting out the affected circuit(s). Once he dries everything out completely, there's a decent chance the components will work.

I certainly hope so. I did get some coolant on my GPU one time and although it would POST it would not boot in to windows. Tried a million times. After I dried the tiny drop of coolant I found on the board between the block and the onboard RAM was dried it booted fine.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by birdy123
View Post

My PC was standing up but my radiator is in the top of the case so spilt down mainly on to the GPU's but also on to the mobo. I used tissue paper and ear buds to clean the spill. It looked pretty dry but obviously not.

Could try a bit of isopropyl alcohol to clean up any other little patches. Do you have coloured coolant in the loop too?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts