Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have klipsch 2.1 promedia speakers and hd555 headphone (technically it wont arrive until next week) Used for music, movies and games.

I was just thinking of getting the Xonar DX. Was looking at the essence STX but it's a little more than I feel like spending. Right now I'm using onboard sound so pretty much anything will be a nice step up but I figure I get some recommendations first.

Not sure when the new Xonar DG is but it doesn't seem to be out yet?

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
I have had the Essence STX and must a=say its the best card I have used. I had an Auzen X-Fi Prelude before hand.

I will even be buying it again and putting my recording set up away.

The built in headphone amp is GREAT! and the RCA output is perfect for my Cambridge Audio Azur 640a & 2.0 speaker set up.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calavera
View Post

hm...180 bucks though vs. 80ish for the dx. is really double the price tag worth it? will the difference be noticeable?

the dx doesn't do hardware acceleration is one thing.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
None of the Xonar cards do hardware accelerations, But in today days Cpus are fast enough so its moot point. To even worry about that. Unless your on some old cpu thats slow as heck.

I agree with The Rocker , Xonar STX is a great choice.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calavera View Post
what about the d2x?

edit: nevermind.

alright, I pulled the trigger on the STX. I'll be getting it today actually along with the 555 headphones. How do I burn in headphones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITaoI View Post
Just use them ha
, but some i believe just play a music play list in a loop so they burn in faster. Any who i found this little FAQ for you maybe it'll help.

FAQ
i don't think you'll be too impressed with the headphones. I have them, burnt them in, lows are meh, and it doesn't get your immersed in your gaming. The highs are nice though and are fairly comfy. Comparable to headphones costing half its price imo.

But nice on the buy. I bet you'll like the STX.

maybe mine suck because of how i burnt them in. i used white/green/blue/brown/and pink music for about an hour total. I wonder if that effed them up to sound meh.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm actually listening to them right now. My sound card doesn't arrive until tomorrow though so I can't say for certain but I already hear the difference in the quality. You could say it is less bassy than my old headphones but I actually like this a lot more (more details and natural as musicPC said, dead on).

It's definitely way more comfortable, this fact alone was worth the purchase for me right now
I'll be doing the 555/595 "mod" later. Man the STX can't arrive sooner.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calavera View Post
I'm actually listening to them right now. My sound card doesn't arrive until tomorrow though so I can't say for certain but I already hear the difference in the quality. You could say it is less bassy than my old headphones but I actually like this a lot more (more details and natural as musicPC said, dead on).

It's definitely way more comfortable, this fact alone was worth the purchase for me right now
I'll be doing the 555/595 "mod" later. Man the STX can't arrive sooner.

Ya, I really dislike the lack of bass on them. But first off, that is just the burn in period. It takes awhile. You'll start to hear really clear lows after about a week of use but then aren't as emersive as I hoped they would be.

Whats the difference with the 595s? What is this mod? Does it make it sound better? xD

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not really a mod per say, you just take out a rubber piece. Takes only 5 minutes to do and it's free. Here's the video.

Anyways, the STX is installed and everything is great. Fiddling with the equalizer a little bit does make up for the lack of bass in the headphones but I switch back and forth between headphone and speakers so right now I just have it at default.

The clicking sound that you hear when you first boot up is a little annoying but they say it's normal.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to optimize the FlexBass crossover setting so it's right for the speakers.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

View Post

It's not really a mod per say, you just take out a rubber piece. Takes only 5 minutes to do and it's free. Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE

Anyways, the STX is installed and everything is great. Fiddling with the equalizer a little bit does make up for the lack of bass in the headphones but I switch back and forth between headphone and speakers so right now I just have it at default.

The clicking sound that you hear when you first boot up is a little annoying but they say it's normal.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to optimize the FlexBass crossover setting so it's right for the speakers.

i feel like doing this. that foam is probably the reason behind why my low mids/lows sound so weak and out of sync with the dramatic highs.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You can use them as they burn in, Some people use pink noises to burn them in and or a mix of both. I usually just use them til they get to there max burn in time. One more thing when you install the drivers, the volume will be on 66% so you might wanna turn it down.

So you dont blow your ear drums out.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, that mod doesn't really boost bass but it does make a difference.

hmmm, in what aspects does it improve it? is it a noticeable difference to basically do:

1. Not too happy.
2. Now happy with it?

xD

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino View Post
hmmm, in what aspects does it improve it? is it a noticeable difference to basically do:

1. Not too happy.
2. Now happy with it?

xD
It's like finding free money on the floor. Thought it was a quarter, but turns out to be a dime. lol
It only take 5 minutes at most and it's really easy to do and it's free so go ahead and try it out for yourself.
I feel the mid to highs are slightly richer if that makes sense.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

View Post

It's like finding free money on the floor. Thought it was a quarter, but turns out to be a dime. lol
It only take 5 minutes at most and it's really easy to do and it's free so go ahead and try it out for yourself.
I feel the mid to highs are slightly richer if that makes sense.

hmm describe richer. My vocab sucks, lol, what richer is to me is different then most people (wait, pretty much all people).

I feel like my lows just don't have any umph, and secondly the highs are just too sharp. Mids are alright but overall the lack of bass umph is uff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts