Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to bother y'all, but I'm gonna buy some RAM soon and I'm wondering how far up I need to go. It's for my A64 3200 system, and I'm either gonna go for PC 3700 or PC 4000 but I don't know which. On a watercooling setup, how much of an overclock can I get until I max out, cause I thought I read somewheres the the A64's limit out on OC's. Is is worth it to get the 4000, am I gonna use it?
thx y'all

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are pretty sweet sticks of 3200. But, I won't be able to get them, I don't need dual channel, and they'd cost more than 2 sticks of PC 4000!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
General-
Haha, that is pretty damn sweet. Still, I can't find that anywhere cheap, but I did find some PC 4000 gold rev 2 for 180 bucks CDN. Which seems pretty damn good to me. Rep for your hard work.

Crash-
Good find, however I should mention that I can only buy stuff in Canada from canadian stores who will sell COD via Canada Post.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I could wait till they stock up, but It's the same price as the 3700 gold rev 3 and close to the 4000 gold rev.2 Should I wait for the 3200 or should I go for the higher stuff.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wrong! Everyone Is Wrong!

PQI Turbos 2-2-2 kick OCZ's butt.
why?
1)Cheaper
2)Same Performance
3)ITS CHEAP FOR WHAT IT DOES.

its based on the saem thing that ocz uses, brainpower pcb, and TCCD chips.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
As of now, OCZ PC3200 EL Gold VX is about the best RAM you can buy, really even better than BH-5. Full warranty up to 3.5volts, on averaging is doing DDR500 speeds with 2-2-2 timings, and it's cheaper than PC3200 Pat Rev.2

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I've been convinced, thx guys.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

As of now, OCZ PC3200 EL Gold VX is about the best RAM you can buy, really even better than BH-5. Full warranty up to 3.5volts, on averaging is doing DDR500 speeds with 2-2-2 timings, and it's cheaper than PC3200 Pat Rev.2

I gather the VX is the new PCB layout that is the reason it's so good?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
VX has got some new chips (OCZ won't tell anyone what they are) that are branded OCZ and overclock like nuts. They provide their extended voltage protection up to 3.5 volts (VX = Voltage eXtreme) and that stuff is hitting some godly overclocks, doing up to and beyond DDR500 at 2-2-2 latencies. It's godly stuff, and hard to come by. People have likened it to BH-5 (the chips look similar) but OCZ won't say anything, and I don't blame them with such an awesome product

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I read OCZ is using "some" Micron/Crucial chips on some of there products. The PCB thing is said to allow higher speeds... thats why I asked.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I was skimming through a big thread about it at xtremesystems (it was like 28 pages long
) and I believe the OCZ reps they have there said it was still brainpower PCB. Some guy said they were Micron chips because he has a friend at a Micron plant that supposedly knew about them and told him, but a lot of people think OCZ or someone bought out some of Winbound technologies and are reproducing BH-5-like memory. Although, I think Infineon bought Winbound...

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
...with the same question.

So, after solving my water-cooling problems, I have placeed all BIOS settings back into the tested overclocking mode, and guess what happens? BSOD! Something about error in memory buffer of some other, division by 0, and the like. Frustration… you bet!

I blame my memory for it, and as such I have decided that in the beginning of 2005 I will be getting new memory. This time I am going for 2x512Mb, instead of a double density stick. As some of you know, I have Corsair, but the more I read about OCZ, the more I am convinced that is the way to go.

Anyway, so I go to the Corsair and OCZ web sites; do a little research and this is what I come up with:

Corsair: TWINX1024-3200C2 2.5-3-3-6, as recommended by their mobo configurator.

OCZ: OCZ4661024ELDCGER3-K 2.5-3-3-?, no recommendation in their configurator, my mobo is not there.

And here I am, trying to make another computer purchase, and no idea what to get. Taking into account that I do not play top of the line games, but I do play online, do certain amount of CAD work, and a lot of internet, plus I overclock to get more of my games, what memory would it be for my Asus K8N-E Deluxe?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I still have to put in my vote again for that OCZ PC3200 EL Gold VX, it just doesn't get better than that...if your board can pump enough juice

Not really sure, OCZ has built themselves quite the repuation for being the "overclocker's" memory, and I think it's pretty well deserved. Plus, PC3700 will be nicer than PC3200

1 - 20 of 35 Posts