Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so its come down to two different SSD's i dont understand why one is better than the other...
choice #1- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226151

choice #2- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227542

review site im getting most of my information from- http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1307/13/

so why would the mushkin be better than the agility 2? they both use the same controller, both have 60gb and im having trouble finding more information on the agility 2

edit: i was also looking at the vertex 2 but it seems to have disappeared off of the egg... hmm

edit2: budget is $200.00

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
The Mushkin Callisto Deluxe has an IOPS spec (Input/Output Operations Per Second) of "> 50,000" while the Agility 2 has the 10,000 IOPS spec.

I don't know much about this, but I know that this mostly benefits Enterprise environments. But that's not to say that it's useless to consumers: just look at the popularity of the VelociRaptors.

So as of right now, I would venture to guess that the best SandForce SF-1200 SSDs to get right now would be pretty much any of the ones that mention this 50,000 IOPS spec.

• Rep+
Reactions: twich12

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was leaning towards the mushkin callisto because of the iops and the slightly price premium (im willing to spend the extra 20 bucks for a better ssd) i was just worrisome because ive been reading about the firmware that OCZ gets and something about it being better blah blah blah basically im trying to learn about ssds before i buy but ssds are kicking my but! thanks for the help twocables, even when you dont know too much about a topic your always helpful! +rep even though you definately dont need it lol

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twich12
View Post

i was leaning towards the mushkin callisto because of the iops and the slightly price premium (im willing to spend the extra 20 bucks for a better ssd) i was just worrisome because ive been reading about the firmware that OCZ gets and something about it being better blah blah blah basically im trying to learn about ssds before i buy but ssds are kicking my but! thanks for the help twocables, even when you dont know too much about a topic your always helpful! +rep even though you definately dont need it lol

You're very welcome!

I remember reading something about that too; it was something about OCZ getting exclusive firmware or something like that. Based on their drives with the Indilinx Barefoot controller (like the first Vertex), I'm guessing that they have designed Garbage Collection into the firmware again - or some other proprietary thing.

Oh, and I found the Vertex 2 on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227528

It's $179.00 shipped, and they have a $10 Mail-In Rebate card. I don't know how any of these 50,000 IOPS SandForce SF-1200 drives compare, but the Callisto Deluxe has 10GB more for about the same price.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Yeah Sandforce controllers were going to be marketed like so:

Sandforce 1200: "Consumer" limited to 10k IOPS
Sandforce 1500: "Enterprise" not limited, ~50k IOPS

But OCZ and Corsair.. and now Muskin I suppose have been putting the 1500's unlimited firmware on the "1200" chip... (apparently the chips are the same)

It was originally a deal between OCZ and Sandforce, but since Corsair kept their "pre-release" firmware, it seems to have loosened a bit..

Remember any Sandforce is really fast, even with the "consumer" firmware... But it's nice to have "unlimited" firmware

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDreadedGMan
View Post

Yeah Sandforce controllers were going to be marketed like so:

Sandforce 1200: "Consumer" limited to 10k IOPS
Sandforce 1500: "Enterprise" not limited, ~50k IOPS

But OCZ and Corsair.. and now Muskin I suppose have been putting the 1500's unlimited firmware on the "1200" chip... (apparently the chips are the same)

It was originally a deal between OCZ and Sandforce, but since Corsair kept their "pre-release" firmware, it seems to have loosened a bit..

Remember any Sandforce is really fast, even with the "consumer" firmware... But it's nice to have "unlimited" firmware

The G.SKILL Phoenix Pro is another drive with the 50,000 IOPS spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts